Author Topic: Low speed vibration  (Read 5855 times)

Izzy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 SE Jazz
Low speed vibration
« on: July 09, 2018, 08:27:44 PM »
Hi Guys, When I move off from a stop about 1200rpm = 10-15mph I get a vibration once over 15mph I can drive through it any thoughts any one. :(
Cheers
Alan

nb If you cannot fix it with a hammer you have an electrical fault

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Low speed vibration
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 08:46:37 PM »
If you coast down through that speed range, to a stop, do you still get it?

Izzy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:14:07 PM »
Not that I have noticed. I does happen even when I use the flappy paddle gear change 1st , 2nd and third the gearbox oil has just been changed I have been told it was Honda oil as well but I don't have an invoice for the oil only the dealers word
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:17:27 PM by Izzy »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 09:49:17 AM »
I would double check what Jocko suggested, see if it only occurs when accelerating, or if you can still feel it when you ease off.

Do you feel it through the steering or through the body/floor of the car? Steering is likely front axle, and through the body is more likely rear axle. This might sound odd, but you tend to feel rear axle vibrations in your relaxed calfs when driving.

Sudden onset or gradual? Any chance of a buckled rim?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:55:54 AM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 10:30:57 AM »
I have been told it was Honda oil as well but I don't have an invoice for the oil only the dealers word
Was it a Honda dealer?

Izzy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 02:31:23 PM »
No

Izzy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 02:39:10 PM »
I would double check what Jocko suggested, see if it only occurs when accelerating, or if you can still feel it when you ease off.

Do you feel it through the steering or through the body/floor of the car? Steering is likely front axle, and through the body is more likely rear axle. This might sound odd, but you tend to feel rear axle vibrations in your relaxed calfs when driving.

Sudden onset or gradual? Any chance of a buckled rim?
[/quote
I don't think its a buckled rim as it is only at 12-15 mph it does not happen at any other speed.
It only occurs while accelerating from standing still say at lights or from a junction the vibration feels as if its coming through the body and can be felt through the steering very briefly. reminisant of a clutch judder but being auto

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 02:59:07 PM »
Sounds to me like CVT judder, but perhaps some of the CVT owners will confirm or deny.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 04:44:53 PM »
I don't think its a buckled rim as it is only at 12-15 mph it does not happen at any other speed.
It only occurs while accelerating from standing still say at lights or from a junction the vibration feels as if its coming through the body and can be felt through the steering very briefly. reminisant of a clutch judder but being auto

You will only feel a slight buckle at lower speeds, and sometimes again at 80mph+. Anyway, if it's only when under power, that points more to transmission/driveshafts etc..

It could be CVT starter clutch judder, but the Honda oil does seem to be critical in these. Has the problem only come after the oil change, or was it the reason for the oil change?

Izzy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 06:53:51 PM »
I don't really know why the oil was changed other than it maybe because it 10yrs old oil. Do other CVT 7 speed owners get this vibration can you live with it does it do any further damage, I will as a matter of course change the oil me thinks and just have to live with it as I am more than please with car.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 09:08:47 PM »
The CVT oil should be changed at 25,000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. If it hasn't been changed for a while you get a shudder/vibration. If it hasn't been changed for a good while one change doesn't always clear it completely. After  running it for a short spell a second change is required. This may be what has happened with your car.
Personally, I would buy the correct Honda oil and take it to a reliable, independent garage, and have them change it for you (or do it yourself).

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 10:16:41 PM »
Honda calls it CVT fluid, perhaps to discourage people from thinking that other oils are suitable. You need to be sure that genuine Honda fluid was used as anything else could (will?) create problems. You can get it here: https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-cvt-fluid-4ltr/ .
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 10:01:49 AM »
I don't really know why the oil was changed other than it maybe because it 10yrs old oil. Do other CVT 7 speed owners get this vibration can you live with it does it do any further damage, I will as a matter of course change the oil me thinks and just have to live with it as I am more than please with car.

Have you just acquired the car? Judder is not normal, and if the starter clutch has had it, it will only get worse. If it came from a dealer, take it back - if it does need a new starter clutch, it is not a cheap job.

If you come by the car by other means, the first port of call is definitely a couple of changes of fluid, using genuine Honda stuff. Good advice from Jocko, above.

Izzy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 08:02:59 PM »
Went to local Honda dealer today bought 4ltrs CVT oil and crush washer £50 wow and way I changed the oil whilst it was really hot jacked the car up on the os to drain more oil out let it drip added new oil to correct level. Got you say there was an amount of swarf on the magnetic plug not a lot but as the oil had been changed previous it was more than I was expecting or maybe that's why you do a flush ! Now for the road test and yes the vibration has all but gone.
  Much much better so hopefully once I have a few more miles on the new oil hopefully it will get better near perfect.

Thanks every one

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 09:22:23 PM »
Excellent. It may be a good idea to change it again, before the 25,000 mile/2 year interval, especially now you know how to do it.

Tags: