Author Topic: Thoughts on Budget Tyres ...  (Read 25980 times)

Annastesia

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.3
Thoughts on Budget Tyres ...
« on: October 31, 2023, 09:53:51 PM »

I've just had an emergency situation with my back left tyre and had it replaced with a budget one (only one attainable), called Otani EK1000.
The garage also pumped it up to 36 psi (recommended 32) - but I think that's to help with the seal.

I don't know if I'm being too overanxious, but when I drove it home it felt different than before, like a bit more bumpy, and a pulling sensation towards the left.
There was no vibrating or noises.

Has anyone experienced similar when having a tyre changed?
Or could it just be due to a budget tyre? The other 3 tyres are premium Dunlops.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Thoughts on Budget Tyres ...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 03:14:37 AM »
Never skimp on tyres or brakes, they are your lifesavers
Let's be careful out there !

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 06:56:52 AM »
No thoughts, no such think as a budget tyre, just inferior tyres that do not perform function.

If tyre supplier cannot put in correct pressure do not use them again, good rims, new tyres, no sealing problem. Pressure should be checked, by yourself every week or two anyway.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 07:39:36 AM »
I can imagine that having a tyre over-inflated might result in a more “bouncy” ride, so the obvious first step is to reduce the pressure if you haven’t already done so (don’t forget to recalibrate the TPMS).

Not sure about the wisdom of mixing tyre brands on the same axle; I know my local Honda dealer recommends changing tyres in pairs but that could be a marketing ploy. If you’re worried, and now that you’re not in the emergency situation, you could look around for a better tyre then swap out the Otani (keep it as a spare if you have space, albeit it won’t be on a wheel).

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 07:49:51 AM »
A brand I'd never heard of, made in Thailand apparently.

I would be very tempted to get a Dunlop tyre to match the others on the car. Unless the Dunlops have c3mm tread remaining, at which point it's time for new tyres anyhow.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 07:52:54 AM »
If the car pulls slightly towards the left, your new tire would have a higher rolling resistance when compared to the other tires, even with additional air pressure. This might not be safe, since it will also react differently when you need to brake hard.
I would try to find another Dunlop; my dealer once got me a used one from their demo (which was sold with a new set of rims and tires).

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 08:05:04 AM »
I always have the same brand, tread pattern and tread depth on each axel and always buy a "premium" brand. As Kremmen said, they are your lifesavers, or as I put it they are the only things keeping you on the road and stop you going straight to the scene of the accident.

Re your problem with the new tyre however, over inflation will not be helping, as well as the different tread pattern and depth.

I would not be happy driving a car in this condition.

FarNorthJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi CVT
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 09:34:36 AM »
I agree with Colin B

Not sure about the wisdom of mixing tyre brands on the same axle; I know my local Honda dealer recommends changing tyres in pairs but that could be a marketing ploy. If you’re worried, and now that you’re not in the emergency situation, you could look around for a better tyre then swap out the Otani (keep it as a spare if you have space, albeit it won’t be on a wheel).

If your Jazz has space for a spare wheel another option would be to look on ebay for a matching rim  - and get a new quality tyre to match your other 3 Dunlops.   You can then keep the cheap tyre and wheel as an emergency spare - so if something similar happens again you will not be forced into taking whatever tyre is available at the time

jasonevans

• Approved Member
  • 1 Jazz and 1 Civic Type R - Life is good :-)
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz 1.3 SE Auto in Orange :-)
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 02:13:52 PM »
Not worth skipping on budget tyres when the price of a budget is not that much less than a decent tyre like a Toyo Comfort which are from a quality brand.
Like everyone says, it's the contact patch that could save your life on day.

I always use the same tyre on the same axel as well.  Also, if one tyre is irrepairable and it the other tyre on same axel has less than 3mm tread left I would rather replace the pair as I strongly believe that in the time you REALLY need your tyres to work in an emergency then you stand a better chance as car should pull up stright or at least handle like it's meant to.

Just my penny's worth though.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 02:21:45 PM by jasonevans »

Annastesia

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2023, 02:30:15 PM »
Thank you to everyone who replied to this!

I wasn't sure of what to do, but having read your comments I know that its best to ensure all 4 tyres are the same for many reasons. And to use the Otani as a spare.

I'm with Halfords membership club so I will consult them as I know they provide some checks and services and I'll get this sorted.

Thanks again, I have piece of mind now. Otherwise I would have continued without knowing the risks involved.

Annastesia

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2023, 12:34:15 PM »
Sorry to pester again!

My other 3 tyres are Dunlop SP Sport 2030.

I have looked on Halfords and they only have Dunlop SP FastResponse.

Would this be ok to have 3 tyres the same with another of the same brand, but different model?

I just want to be safe before I book in for a replacement.

Also, I had an MOT/Full service yesterday and passed without any recommendations so I'm assuming the driving issues I was having (feel/slight drag) was due to what people mentioned ... the Otani tyre!

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2023, 12:59:58 PM »

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2023, 03:58:24 PM »
... but then you may have drastically different tread depths on the same axel. I always replace both tyres on the same axel at the same time.

What price safety?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2023, 12:13:04 PM »
I would hunt down the same spec tyre, try Camskill.co.uk put it the make & size.
Then replace the budget tyre, either keep if you have full sized spare wheel or sell on Gumtree or on this forum.
Then enjoy your Jazz

Tags:

anything