Author Topic: Reasonable level of hearing needed - noise from head unit  (Read 626 times)

Babbington

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Reasonable level of hearing needed - noise from head unit
« on: June 18, 2021, 03:53:49 PM »
I have a 2018 1.3 i-vtec SE. With the radio off and the key in position 1 there is a annoying whirring/buzzing sound coming from the head unit. This noise will even continue with the keys removed. It stops when the red light on the unit (the immobilizer I'm guessing) comes on.

It's not very loud but it's annoying me; I can't seem to unhear it whenever I pull up.

So, do any of you hear this noise? I think it's either a fan or a dodgy PSU.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
Re: Reasonable level of hearing needed - noise from head unit
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 04:01:11 PM »
My 2019 1.3i-vtec SE does it as well, but it does stop so I don't worry about it.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Babbington

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Re: Reasonable level of hearing needed - noise from head unit
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 05:48:28 PM »
My 2019 1.3i-vtec SE does it as well, but it does stop so I don't worry about it.

Thanks for replying. It's not that I'm worried myself but rather that if I was listening to some classical music with the engine off and there was a quiet/silent period in the music, then I would be able to hear 'the noise.' I would return a HiFi or toss it out of the window if it made this noise.

I think I now know what 'the noise' is:

After some searching I found this Fit thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/104388-stereo-has-cooling-fan.html

So if our units are the same ish, and I'm sure that they probably are, that looks very much like one of those little 40mm x 40mm fans you find in all sorts of things.

I'm staggered that someone thought it a good idea to put a fan in something that plays music. Maybe the logic was that the engine noise would mask it and a fan was a lot cheaper than producing less heat.

Now I'm stuck wondering if this is just a 'normal' sound or if my fan is dodgy. Can anyone else hear it?

Tags: