Author Topic: i-DSI vs i-VTEC  (Read 19572 times)

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
Re: i-DSI vs i-VTEC
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2022, 07:11:07 PM »
I have had a drive around Sheffield a few times as I'm originally from down S.yorks

The 1.3dsi handles it well so don't worry.
The only hill it struggles with is Sutton Bank where 2nd gear is needed but the same with most cars  :D and also that big hill if you come off the moors into whitby area from Malton way.

Don't worry about power, there's enough. Folks take the mick out of the cars being slow but they really aren't that bad, it's just that old folks car driven slow myth. They are surprisingly nippy and able.

I'd prefer to spend a bit more on decent service history etc, get one which has been looked after and not something just left until something breaks.

Motorway noise can be a bit annoying, as it's 3000 rpm at 70mph
But still it's comfy enough once you get seats set up to a comfy position.

Skyline84

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Honda Jazz 1.4 SE
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2022, 04:25:53 PM »
I have a 1.4 i-DSi and I think it's a great engine. Not too much happens at higher revs, but there is plenty of low down torque. I've not really found a situation where the engine was found lacking - in the city, on A and B roads, and on the motorway. True it's not the fastest car that I've owned, but it does the job nicely.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2022, 04:30:00 PM »
I have a 1.4 i-DSi and I think it's a great engine. Not too much happens at higher revs, but there is plenty of low down torque. I've not really found a situation where the engine was found lacking - in the city, on A and B roads, and on the motorway. True it's not the fastest car that I've owned, but it does the job nicely.

I still like the i-DSi engine rather than the MK2 VTEC,  the i-dsi is a better engine for the use the Jazz gets, is much more tractable around town and capable of seriously good MPG,
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Ellied02

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE 5dr
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2022, 09:38:04 PM »
Hi Geertz,
Sounds like you're settling on the iVTec, but just to add,  I also live in Sheffield and just bought a mk1 iDSi, and no problems with hill starts going up to Walkley and Crookes - although it will be better when I sort out the hand brake! I use it to commute to Manchester, and it's fine on Snake pass, and also the M67. Not a patch on the Saab 9-5 I swapped it for, but 45 mpg vs 22 mpg says it all.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2022, 03:06:43 PM »
Mk 1 Dsi and a Mk 2 Vtec engines are a puzzle, The Dsi has pleasant driving characteristics using the lower range of  rpm, , the Vtec I found to be poor, for  situations in town driving, the Dsi is willing and forgiving , the Vtec not so,  I drove both, having purposely delayed my purchase until the 2009 launch, so I could test and select  the better of the two, I had three test drives of a Vtec, and only one for the Dsi, which I purchased and still own and very satisfied too.  Three test drives of a Vtec because I found the car such hard work to drive,   was the dealer demonstrator faulty is some way, no,  evidently not. In light acceleration situations required in town traffic driving, where the Dsi would accept in third gear,  the Vtec required a change down to second gear.
The explanation for such a characteristic  is usually found in torque vs rpm diagram of an engine, the Dsi  hinting of  stronger low rpm torque than the  Vtec, in reality not so,  but from the Honda supplied diagrams, the two cars had identical diagrams below 3000 rpm, that is the puzzle I cannot solve, why two cars with the same torque curve diagram, in town driving, one is so tolerant and  tractable, the other requires extra gear changes   

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2022, 06:15:07 PM »
Mk 1 Dsi and a Mk 2 Vtec engines are a puzzle, The Dsi has pleasant driving characteristics using the lower range of  rpm, , the Vtec I found to be poor, for  situations in town driving, the Dsi is willing and forgiving , the Vtec not so,  I drove both, having purposely delayed my purchase until the 2009 launch, so I could test and select  the better of the two, I had three test drives of a Vtec, and only one for the Dsi, which I purchased and still own and very satisfied too.  Three test drives of a Vtec because I found the car such hard work to drive,   was the dealer demonstrator faulty is some way, no,  evidently not. In light acceleration situations required in town traffic driving, where the Dsi would accept in third gear,  the Vtec required a change down to second gear.
The explanation for such a characteristic  is usually found in torque vs rpm diagram of an engine, the Dsi  hinting of  stronger low rpm torque than the  Vtec, in reality not so,  but from the Honda supplied diagrams, the two cars had identical diagrams below 3000 rpm, that is the puzzle I cannot solve, why two cars with the same torque curve diagram, in town driving, one is so tolerant and  tractable, the other requires extra gear changes

Well, if Honda provided the info it might just be something to do with marketing. After all, they don't really want to lose potential sales on such a detail. That said, I fleetingly owned a DSI 1.4 as a stop gap before getting a Mk2 1.4 iVTEC. The low down grunt was noticeable in the DSI but I prefer the MK2 which handles better although I now have Toyo Proxes which certainly make a difference. The Dunlops were just horrible.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2022, 09:21:32 PM »

Well, if Honda provided the info it might just be something to do with marketing. After all, they don't really want to lose potential sales on such a detail. That said, I fleetingly owned a DSI 1.4 as a stop gap before getting a Mk2 1.4 iVTEC. The low down grunt was noticeable in the DSI but I prefer the MK2 which handles better although I now have Toyo Proxes which certainly make a difference. The Dunlops were just horrible.

My initial  preference was for the Mk 2 Jazz, but preference turned to  disappointment  by the test drives, if only Honda had imported the Mark 2 with the Dsi engine as a entry model level,  Note that Honda made variations to the Jazz specification and engine capacity depending on the  export market, do owners know there were 4-wheel drive models for certain markets.

Johnocyprus

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT, 2007 CRV EX, 2022 C125 SuperCub, 2003 Izzy
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2022, 11:05:39 PM »
“depends how much you have to spend/lose! I'm always after cheaper second hand cars, unfortunately, so have to take the risk. But, I've had some good luck by following one simple rule: could I have a beer/coffee with the seller? If not, then maybe not the best person to buy a car from”.

Quite so. When I see a private car I spend as much time evaluating the owner as the car.  Top tip from me, always only go to prosperous houses to view houses, I’m not being snobby but at least the chances are the owner could afford to maintain the car properly.   Always worked for me.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 11:08:40 PM by Johnocyprus »

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2022, 11:12:20 AM »
“depends how much you have to spend/lose! I'm always after cheaper second hand cars, unfortunately, so have to take the risk. But, I've had some good luck by following one simple rule: could I have a beer/coffee with the seller? If not, then maybe not the best person to buy a car from”.

Quite so. When I see a private car I spend as much time evaluating the owner as the car.  Top tip from me, always only go to prosperous houses to view houses, I’m not being snobby but at least the chances are the owner could afford to maintain the car properly.   Always worked for me.

A saying:

ROUGH PEOPLE == ROUGH CARS

Tags:

anything