Author Topic: wi fi hotspot  (Read 1379 times)

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
wi fi hotspot
« on: November 05, 2022, 09:07:13 PM »
Slightly confused over this. At first is says hotspot disabled, you enable to green and there is an SSD and password there greyed out. I assume that is for the inbuilt card and needs the subscription to work even within the first year?

If I touch the SSD a new screen comes up with blanks, I assume I can enter my home details here (which access point at other end of house is strong enough in the garage) and it won't delete the inbuilt details?

How do you connect an Android as wifi hotspot since have plenty of data on my phone?

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: wi fi hotspot
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 08:35:37 AM »
You need to connect a device to the SSID that is shown, this device will then navigate to the sign up pages.

I presume you already have telematics (My Honda+) activated? This needs to be active to use hotspot.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 12:51:35 PM »
The in-car wifi service is provided by Vodafone. It's hard to find the pricing structure but I found this https://www.hondaeforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=527 .
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

5thcivic

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 01:15:02 PM »
Quote from: Steve_M link=topic=15255.msg126329#msg126329 date=1667723737

I presume you already have telematics (My Honda+) activated? This needs to be active to use hotspot.
[/quote

Yes, app works fine, and hotspot turns green in display. Page 172 in the manual is confusing.

If I touch the default greyed out SSID a new screen appears with SSID blank, if I enter my home network SSID and password so wifi works for updates in the garage am I deleteing the inbuilt SSID for a future problem?

Steve_M

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 02:36:02 PM »
You need to turn hotspot on ( top right of screen) then connect a device to the SSID in the settings, this will take that device to the hotspot sign in pages, once it is activated then you can connect other device to the SSID in the settings.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 02:39:58 PM »
This is what you will see on your device

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 03:23:29 PM »
How do you connect an Android as wifi hotspot since have plenty of data on my phone?
Or is the desire to connect the car to use the phone's hotspot? The latter uses the same procedure as connecting to the home WiFi. Go to the Settings and select Connection.

5thcivic

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 05:31:47 PM »
That's what's confusing since if I have my phone apps on screen from Android Auto why do I need a hotspot?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 07:42:25 PM »
That's what's confusing since if I have my phone apps on screen from Android Auto why do I need a hotspot?

I thought that the in-car hotspot was to enable the use of WiFi-only devices inside the car. So, if the kids are staving off boredom using tablets that don't have cell connectivity, they can use the car's hotspot and web connection. Assuming you've paid that subscription, of course. You could probably achieve the same thing using your own phone as a hotspot.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 08:31:24 PM »
You could probably achieve the same thing using your own phone as a hotspot.
And most likely less expensive.

Tags: