Author Topic: Front wide view camera startup failure  (Read 8290 times)

Jazzist

• Approved Member
  • The Jazzdriving Dutchman
  • My Honda: Jazz Executive 2021
Re: Front wide view camera startup failure
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2022, 06:42:56 PM »
Today I received the letter from Honda Netherlands with the request to have the camera updated. I can take the car to the dealer on September 15th and pick it up again on September 16th. They do the update at night. I live within walking distance of the garage, so missing the car overnight is not a problem and I also have a healthy little walk.
The Honda Forum unites the World.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2022, 08:43:47 PM »
Yesterday our Jazz was at the dealer for its first service. When we asked whether the camera update could also be done, the answer was: of course, only then it will take a little more time. The update takes about 4 hours.
When collecting the car we were told that the letter regarding the update was on its way, but that updating once should be enough ;D and we could ignore the letter.
If nothing goes right, go left!

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2022, 08:07:31 AM »
Regarding speed signage recognition. When I had my previous Clio and Capturs, the camera would read the sign, display it and keep the display up (flashing if you exceeded that speed) and change when it next encountered another sign.
The Jazz though reads a sign, displays it.. but then it clears the sign after a few minutes and doesn't display again until it hits another sign. So, it is only displaying the last seen sign for a short period. Is this normal?

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2022, 08:56:12 AM »
Regarding speed signage recognition. When I had my previous Clio and Capturs, the camera would read the sign, display it and keep the display up (flashing if you exceeded that speed) and change when it next encountered another sign.
The Jazz though reads a sign, displays it.. but then it clears the sign after a few minutes and doesn't display again until it hits another sign. So, it is only displaying the last seen sign for a short period. Is this normal?
I'd appreciate hearing from someone who successfully uses the speed recognition system. I've tried using it without success.
Neil Ives

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2022, 10:17:53 AM »
Mine does this too.but  as you say its displayed for a ' a few minutes' , or at least for a reasonable length of time.     Personally I think this is a sensible way of doing it.  Eventually the absence of a speed limit sign reaffirming the speed limit, or something different  becomes a less reliable  indicator of the current limit.  The chances increase that a sign was missing or obscured , or that the system failed to read it .    In effect by switching off the system is saying, ' I'm no longer sure ,maybe you should check for yourself.'   

In the Uk  there is a a general ruling that if there are lamp posts  the limit is 30 mph unless there are speed signs to the contrary. Lower or higher.    So within a town you may travel miles  within a 30 mph limit without ever seeing a speed sign, You are meant to know by the environment and presence of lamp posts (even if not lit)  .   You can argue that if the car constantly displayed 30 mph , then its  at least erring on the cautious side.  Even if its wrong.      But what if you enter town from a higher speed limit, and for some reason the first, and possibly only 30 mph sign you will pass  is missing or obscured, and not read.   The system would continue to display the last limit it read , and you could travel miles in a  30 limit with a higher speed shown by the car. .   By switching off eventually it at least prompts you to reassess the situation for yourself (, although you should have been doing this anyway.)  I  also regularly check what limit is shown on the sat nav   although this is not always reliable .    If you are worried about exceeding a 30 mph limit because its not displayed by the car , set the speed limiter.

Things can be even more confusing for the system in some countries.  The urban speed limit applies between the village/town name boards at the start and end. There may not be a speed limit sign at all,  or lamp posts.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2022, 11:02:11 AM »
Regarding speed signage recognition. When I had my previous Clio and Capturs, the camera would read the sign, display it and keep the display up (flashing if you exceeded that speed)
and change when it next encountered another sign.
I'd appreciate hearing from someone who successfully uses the speed recognition system. I've tried using it without success.

I always use the speed limiter for every journey. I love the confidence of driving at the correct speed and not being able to go over. The only annoyance’s are that there sometimes isn’t enough signs on the roads so I would find myself going over 30 because no sign to limit me. Also sometimes roundabouts and junctions will turn the limiter off expecting a new sign on the new stretch of road. There isn’t always one.

I think it would be much better using a combination of signs and gps then it would be full proof.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2022, 12:43:26 PM »
Here in Poland the system is completely worthless. Example: when you enter a city or village and the speed limit starts (50 kmh) it is indicated with this sign:

When you leave a city or village and the speed limit ends you see this sign:

If you think our Jazz recognizes these signs as a speed limit, you're wrong. So according to our car you can just drive full speed through the city or village, since the above signs do not have to be accompanied by something like this:

If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2022, 01:59:38 PM »
I like to use the speed limiter, partly because it keeps you on your toes looking out for changes in speed limits and changing the limiter.    But I do cheat a bit.  I find  for instance  setting 30mph/50 kph a bit annoying  if you regularly hit  the limit. I just dont like the feeling when the limiter suppresses the car. (OK guys, you may not like it when RDMS intervenes  )

So I compromise.  I set it at say 31 or 32  but maintain my speed to 30 the old fashioned way by  looking at the speedometer.  That way the car remains responsive most of the time, unless I do  inadvertently drift a bit too far over the limit. (which of course I hardly ever do  ;) :-[ ) . If I still constantly hit the limiter I know I am being extra naughty/stupid. .    The risk of course is that the Jazz speedo is quite accurate and you cant rely on  indicated 32 mph being only 30 mph in reality , or that speed traps  will allow you this margin before prosecution.

With faster limits I tend to set it correct, but drive slightly under..
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 02:12:40 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything