Author Topic: unFit & all that Jazz - Car idles, but won't move in Drive/reverse.  (Read 1062 times)

Elphaza

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Fit/Jazz 1.3 Auto CVT
Hi guys,
Hope you're all doing Better than i am currently currently - i sure could do with some good news today let me tell you. 
So i had one of the best preserved & well-driven 2006 mk1's in the country until i hit a pothole 3 months ago, after which it's just been a clusterfuss of one issue after another. To keep it short i'll just jump to my current one: I 1st noticed this faint winding noise that sounded like it was coming from the front left wheel rather than the tranny, which It still could have been, but then in a matter of 2 days i went from experiencing the 1st time it ever gear slip, to the all of a sudden the "D" flashing & my car going into limp mode, but that seemed relatively fixed after just turning the car off & back on, but i immediately turned around to go back home, although switching to 7 speed mode as fully auto clearly struggled with the late shifts etc, though It did feel more like a safe precaution (like limp mode), rather than failure.

Close to my home my car died at a traffic light for the 1st time. Ever - and when i got home, i couldnt get up the (not-so-steep-at-all) ramp to where i park my car, instead smelled this awful burn-like stink trying for 10 seconds, so i just let it run back in neutral to park it on the curb. 

When trying to start it again the next day to take it to my mechanic, it started & idles perfectly, but won;'t an inch forward/backward, even though it's in gear. I also got a OBD scanner yesterday with Torque Pro, but it doesn't seem to pick up any error codes.

I've read on a number of sites that a mere shortage of CVT fluid could have such an extreme effect, which I'd obviously love if it turns out to be, but that burn stink clings in my mind tho...

So I would really just immensely appreciate any thoughts, opinions, guidance or guesses. ~ also, can anyone advise a suitable alternative to the official Honda CVT fluid - i nearly fell on my back! It literally cost 60% of what i could get a second-hand cvt gearbox with limited warranty for over here! And especially if just to make it drivable to the mechanic, after which i'm sure it'll probably at least need to be drained and replaced - so i'd just like to avoid having to use the 'red gold' for that.

Many thanks in advance,
JD

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: unFit & all that Jazz - Car idles, but won't move in Drive/reverse.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 06:48:00 PM »
I am not a CVT owner but I believe the Mk 1 has a starter clutch just like a manual transmission. Perhaps that has burnt out.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 07:05:07 PM by Jocko »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: unFit & all that Jazz - Car idles, but won't move in Drive/reverse.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 06:32:48 AM »
I would suggest the start up clutch has failed.

Tags:

anything