Author Topic: New Honda Jazz in the family, what do I need to know?  (Read 2087 times)

olliewills

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX Navi Manual
New Honda Jazz in the family, what do I need to know?
« on: August 06, 2022, 09:21:50 PM »
Hello everyone! Hoping you knowledgable people will be able to give me a good start in looking after a Honda Jazz that my father is soon to collect. He's finally moving on from his 2004 Honda Stream which is starting to look a little worse for wear. Both he and I have had a few Honda already but never a Jazz. The car he's getting is a 08/2018 EX Navi in Grey with full Honda history and 11,000 miles on the clock.

I've done my own reading up to a point and I know this is the facelift model which is generally a good thing. I'm sure there are still things to look out for though so any input would be appreciated. I know my Civics inside and out by the time I moved on from them and I'd like to get to know the Jazz somewhat the same.

Anything you can tell me about any of the following and more would be epic!
- Best ways to drive the car to keep it healthy
- Any specifics as to servicing/maintenance or 'unwritten steps'
- Any faults to lok out for
- info on software/maps updates

I'm happy to read so spam me with links to other threads if it makes your life easier!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Ollie

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: New Honda Jazz in the family, what do I need to know?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 08:22:27 AM »
Good choice, the forum is a great place to pick up friendly advice & if needed possible solutions to any issues you may experience.
Opie oils are a useful source together with Cox Honda parts, both places use model year or reg to help.
Your Jazz should come with service history & handbook - if not the local dealer can supply both
Check you have the key & radio codes plus both keys when picking the car up.
You don't mention if it's manual gbox or CVT. If CVT the check when oil last changed.
Enjoy the new Jazz.

olliewills

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 08:29:12 AM »
Thanks for that. I've actually used Cox plenty of times before with my Civics. The car is a manual as that is what my dad prefers.

I'm waiting to find out the exact colour code for it as like all Honda's with their soft paint, I'm sure it'll have the odd stone chip, even with only 11k miles!

I'm sure I'll need to update the Navi maps. This was done by CD in my 8G Civic but I'm guessing the jazz will use a usb stick?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 02:33:11 PM »
Your father may initially find the acceleration a bit sluggish at first, but he should not be afraid to floor the accelerator if he wants a quicker take-off.  The engine is tuned for economy below 2500/3000 rpm.

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 07:57:19 PM »
Hi and welcome,

It's a typical well made Honda.

A few things to check:

Make sure you get a service history, locking wheel nut and 2 keys.

Also check the front wipers are good and quiet as the genuine Honda replacements are £35, so get the dealer to pay for that if you can.

Also check those diamond cut alloys, the lacquer peels a lot. So if they are good get a wax or ceramic coating on them, and dont let anyone wash them with acidic cleaners.

Also check the tyres, they could be cracking even at that age, as its been sitting around a lot.

It has stop start also, which may freak him out, but bear with it, it works well in these and will save you some fuel.

As others have said, it's a dual combustion cycle engine, it's Atkinson cycle at low revs for economy, so feels sluggish, but as with most Honda get the revs up and it pulls, it will get you up over the speed limit easily if you hold the revs through the gears.

The L13b is a good engine, chain drive cam also.

The catalyst is up in the back of the engine bay,.so not really a theft risk on these.

Enjoy.

olliewills

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 10:20:41 PM »
Your father may initially find the acceleration a bit sluggish at first, but he should not be afraid to floor the accelerator if he wants a quicker take-off.  The engine is tuned for economy below 2500/3000 rpm.

His Stream is the 2.0 Sport model which is pretty spritely for its size so you might be right! That being said, he's no speed demon so I suspect it won't worry him. I will let him know he can use the revs however, what else would you do with a VTEC! Thanks!

olliewills

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 10:34:57 PM »
Hi and welcome,

It's a typical well made Honda.

A few things to check:

Make sure you get a service history, locking wheel nut and 2 keys.

Also check the front wipers are good and quiet as the genuine Honda replacements are £35, so get the dealer to pay for that if you can.

Also check those diamond cut alloys, the lacquer peels a lot. So if they are good get a wax or ceramic coating on them, and dont let anyone wash them with acidic cleaners.

Also check the tyres, they could be cracking even at that age, as its been sitting around a lot.

It has stop start also, which may freak him out, but bear with it, it works well in these and will save you some fuel.

As others have said, it's a dual combustion cycle engine, it's Atkinson cycle at low revs for economy, so feels sluggish, but as with most Honda get the revs up and it pulls, it will get you up over the speed limit easily if you hold the revs through the gears.

The L13b is a good engine, chain drive cam also.

The catalyst is up in the back of the engine bay,.so not really a theft risk on these.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the detail!

For the service history, all its stamps are from Honda except for the most recent one which is due. The garage they're buying it from is going to service it apparently but I advised my dad to take it to his regular Honda dealer and get their service/stamp done, just as peace of mind and to keep the Honda history in case they should need some good-will in the future. It might be excessive I know, but feels worth it to me. Anyway he'll see how he feels.

The car does have the loocking nuts and both keys. I'm not sure how closely he looked at the wipers but he would have tried them at least and didn't mention them making any noise so I assume they are okay.

I did get him to have a really close look at the wheels as I'd read about some instances of wheel-worm. Next week, the day after he picks up the car he's going to be driving it to France to visit me (I'm based over here...) I'm a bit of a detailing fan and so while he's over here I'm going to clean and coat his wheels inside and out, probabaly with either a Si02 or Graphene coating. He'll be washing the car himself from now on as I've given him lots of nudging and told him how bad automatic machines or hand-wash places are...

The back tyres are nearly new Conti's and the fronts are low so the garage is changing them as part of the deal. So should be no issues there. He will have to get used to S&S but I've already told him to just keep driving the car like he always would and it should mostly fade into the background! Nice to know about the cat and that its chain drive.

I'm not sure how often my dad will have it up over 3k revs but I'll give it a test drive when he's over and see what it feels like!

Thanks again!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 08:59:20 AM »
Check you have the ... radio codes ... when picking the car up.

Just a minor correction. You don't get a radio code, the Mk3 Jazz stores it in the car's ECU so the OEM infotainment unit will pick up the code from there and will only work in that car.

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 10:27:38 AM »
I'm waiting to find out the exact colour code for it as like all Honda's with their soft paint, I'm sure it'll have the odd stone chip, even with only 11k miles!

I use Chipex Touch Up Paint Kit. Not the cheapest, and a faff to use until you get the hang of it, but a great product, perfect colour match and can give totally invisible results.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2022, 11:27:07 AM »
......I'm not sure how often my dad will have it up over 3k revs but I'll give it a test drive when he's over and see what it feels like!

It's well worth "exercising" the engine occasionally. My 2018 had done 1500mls when I got it, one elderly lady owner. My guess is it had never been above 3k rpm in its life, and it wasn't the nicest thing to rev. With the CVT it's easy to end up pottering around, especially if in traffic/town, and barely go above 2k rpm.
I gave it essentially a full break-in procedure, and now make sure I hold it at 4 or 4.5k rpm for 30sec or a minute or so (in lower ratios/S mode CVT) whenever I have the opportunity on a dual carriageway/motorway. It's gradually improving, smoother and noticeably less noisy with increasing mileage, although it's still barely 5k miles. It's a Honda, it's pretty much bombproof, rev it now and again, it'll thank you.

olliewills

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 01:34:07 PM »
I use Chipex Touch Up Paint Kit. Not the cheapest, and a faff to use until you get the hang of it, but a great product, perfect colour match and can give totally invisible results.

I've used Chipex on my previous Hondas and also our current Peugeot and Suzuki so I'm pretty familiar with the system now and agree I've always had a great colour match. I'm also a detailing enthusiast with plenty of tools for such things which helps! Thanks!

olliewills

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 01:36:09 PM »
It's a Honda, it's pretty much bombproof, rev it now and again, it'll thank you.

This is certainly our hope based on past experience! I will encourage my dad to use the gears to regularly stretch its legs and break it in.

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2022, 01:19:50 PM »
Hopefully they will put some decent tyres on the front, not some Chinese ditch finders.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2022, 08:31:04 PM »
+1 for make sure the car gets a decent wedge of throttle and plenty of revs at least once on every journey, after being properly warmed up of course.

The other thing I do, and always have done with every car, is give the brakes a decent firm brake from good speed at least once every trip to keep them working at their best. I'm a devil for reading the road ahead and avoiding breaking to increase mpg and smooth out the drive. The downside, is the brakes would suffer unless worked properly.

Nice car, enjoy!

Tags: