Author Topic: Automatic wipers - can we stop the wipers running on engine start up?  (Read 2014 times)

pjn2000

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2022
Apologies if this is a very basic question, but we are very new to Jazz. We love our new car but the wipers start automatically when we start the engine. In recent days this has become an issue as the windscreen is frozen first thing. Is there anyway to switch the wipers off so they don't run automatically please as we are concerned the wiper blades will be damaged by the icy screen. We'd like to run the engine to help melt the ice on the screen but would like to stop the wiper blades running automatically but haven't found out how to do this.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 03:27:45 PM by pjn2000 »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Automatic wipers - can we stop the wipers running on engine start up?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 04:42:40 AM »
I thought that off was the stalk position ?

The rotate bit controls the intermittent sensitivity
Let's be careful out there !

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 08:25:50 AM »
...I automatically push the stalk up to 'off' as I start the car in the cold mornings (up being off, one down intermittent, down again is 'on' and down one more is super duper speedy :D ). Switch on 'front' and 'rear', recirculate too sometimes. Then start to scrape the side windows.

I don't think you'll find wiper on/off under the control of anything 'electronic' on the car, its all up to you to decide. Turning the stalk will control the frequency of wipes when in intermittent mode.

pete-preston

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz hybrid ex i-hmmd
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 09:50:41 AM »
Hi
I used to have that problem too in the first few weeks of ownership ,then I found out that as I was leaving the car I was inadvertantly catching the the wiper switch as I got out.
This started the wipers as soon as I started up again.
Got into the habit of checking the stalk settings before pressing the power switch.
 ;) ;)   

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 10:01:27 AM »
This automatic wiper start caught me out as well. Possibly made worse by snow/frost  over the rain sensor.

I also found that although  I had cleared the ice and snow off the rubber blades  themselves  the  wiping performance was rubbish ,with large areas  not wiped at all.  I thought I had shredded the rubber.   >:(
Fortunately once I stopped again and took the trouble to  also  remove every bit of ice from the BACK of the wiper blade  (ie the broad flexible backing) this restored full flexibility so the blades again fully conformed to the curvature of the screen.

My first trip in foul and variable  weather made me realise I didnt  know the multiple functions of the wiper and lighting stalks nearly as well as I thought I did.   I had  muddled through, finding wipers by trial and error  whilst driving, which sufficed for the occasional bit of rain, in daylight.     I really need to study the manual again until I can instantly  deploy the full range of wipes, and fancy lighting  tricks without conscious thought. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 11:25:35 AM »
After once getting a damaged wiper blade due to it trying to operate when frozen to the glass, I make a point of ensuring that both the front and back wipers aren't stuck to the glass before switching on the vehicle. As I try to avoid driving in freezing conditions the can of de-icer I bout many years ago isn't yet empty.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 02:11:31 PM »
Occassionally I have accidently knocked the stalk down to intermittent when exiting, clumsy I know  but probably just holding onto steering with left hand in getting out causes this?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 02:15:22 PM »
After once getting a damaged wiper blade due to it trying to operate when frozen to the glass, I make a point of ensuring that both the front and back wipers aren't stuck to the glass before switching on the vehicle. As I try to avoid driving in freezing conditions the can of de-icer I bout many years ago isn't yet empty.

Yes - I do this after bitter experience many years ago. Like you I'll do my utmost to avoid driving in icy conditions, not always possible but easier if retired.

tfw7

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 72 Jazz SR
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 04:07:32 PM »
Mine don't automatically seem to start when I stich engine on, even though I leave them in auto setting.

However, I keep the car in nice warm dry garage...I presume the blades are only activating because they are detecting something?

On a related note....does the REAR wipe operate on auto at all? Because I have noticed that one auto starting just as I exit my garage (when in the rain)...but it then never seems to auto operate again after that.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 04:13:16 PM »
It auto operates when you flop it into reverse and the front wipers are active.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 05:40:05 PM »
... the wipers start automatically when we start the engine.
Mine don't automatically seem to start when I stich engine on, even though I leave them in auto setting.
The auto setting will only activate the wipers if the sensor detects rain on the windscreen. As others have said, this function can be switched off by simply moving the stalk to the "off" position. But if the wipers start operating without water on the screen, then there's something wrong. I don't know if the sensor is clever enough to distinguish between frost and liquid water, but it's a good idea to ensure all the sensors are clear when de-icing on freezing mornings.

tfw7

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2022, 06:24:41 PM »
... the wipers start automatically when we start the engine.
The auto setting will only activate the wipers if the sensor detects rain on the windscreen. As others have said, this function can be switched off by simply moving the stalk to the "off" position. But if the wipers start operating without water on the screen, then there's something wrong. I don't know if the sensor is clever enough to distinguish between frost and liquid water, but it's a good idea to ensure all the sensors are clear when de-icing on freezing mornings.

yes, my post was to confirm that mine DON'T start. Like they shouldn't unless they detect water.

tfw7

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2022, 06:25:41 PM »
It auto operates when you flop it into reverse and the front wipers are active.

ah right.. that makes sense. So they only auto start in reverse.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2022, 04:08:50 AM »
That's how mine work ..... as did my previous Civics

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2022, 02:00:18 PM »
I only operate my wipers in the automatic mode when it is actually raining.  At other times the stalk is in the OFF position.

Tags: