Author Topic: Who should be the next British Prime Minister?  (Read 4340 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: Who should be the next British Prime Minister?
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2022, 03:47:40 PM »
It's not really going to bother those selecting the next prime minister though.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/conservative-leadership-race-sunak-truss-johnson-b2136305.html

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2022, 06:26:11 PM »
Now that interest rates are rising I've seen reports of people with credit getting worried.

Mortgages are unavoidable but getting into credit card debt is becoming normal for some and they are now going to suffer.

One of my neighbours lives from payday to payday and is worried but that hasn't stopped him booking 3 weeks in Greece for his family next month.
Let's be careful out there !

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2022, 09:08:32 AM »

The biggest urgency right here and now is the looming catastrophe of so many people not being able to afford to live in the UK (rent/food/energy). I don't hear too much direct action planning from the candidates, time is running, or already has run out. Heads in the sand? Pretend it won't happen? La la la .........

Both candidates are preaching to the Tory party members electorate.
I'm all right Jacob

"It shall come to pass that nobody in the Universe is poor. Well, nobody who matters" - Douglas Adams (HHGTTU)
Again from reader's comments to above article
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 09:30:51 AM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 11:16:20 AM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 04:26:31 PM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2022, 09:25:05 AM »
Promises Promises
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-great-british-pledge-off-totting-up-the-campaign-promises-p2jj29vxl

Meanwhile in the real world councils are planning "warm banks" as well as food banks
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/aug/07/britain-social-emergency-leaders-political-vacuum

"What awaits us when temperatures drop, and lives become unlivable? We may well be about to enter the era of the “warm bank”. In Bristol, the city council is readying “welcoming places”, where people who need warmth will be able to go if their homes get too cold. Dundee is planning an array of “cosy spaces”; in Aberdeen, a city council spokesperson recently said they would be offering libraries and other public buildings to “give people the opportunity to stay warm where required”."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 02:42:44 PM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2022, 08:17:56 AM »
Welcome back John Crace

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/09/truss-and-sunak-completely-unreliable-narrators-of-their-own-campaigns

"Two hours of our lives we will never get back again. Until Thursday when the exercise in futility kicks off again.
It’s democracy, Jim. But not as we know it".

and George Monbiot.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/aug/10/crisis-britain-leaders-inflation-energy-wages-conservative

"So determined is the government to absent itself from decision-making that it cannot even institute a hosepipe ban: it must feebly ask the water companies to do so. Most, with an interest in ensuring their metered customers use as much as possible, have so far refused."

Edit Added George Monbiot article.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 03:37:23 PM by JimSh »

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #128 on: Today at 11:08:53 AM »
.....The biggest urgency right here and now is the looming catastrophe of so many people not being able to afford to live in the UK (rent/food/energy). I don't hear too much direct action planning from the candidates, time is running, or already has run out. Heads in the sand? Pretend it won't happen? La la la .........

Well what do you know, someone in Westminster seems to have just woken up, finger on the pulse and all that, and have arranged a meeting with the energy companies. Martin Lewis made a fantastically emotive plea on the Today programme for someone, (anyone?), to get their finger out and take action, pointing out that it's the Government who need to act to ameliorate the imminent disaster.

I have yet to hear Ms. Truss explain how reduced tax rates will help people whose incomes are below the threshold and don't actually pay any tax. I doubt many of them are Conservative party members, however.

FWIW, various people have suggested ways to tackle the regressive nature of household energy costs which have real potential, though I'm sure the various authorities would come up with numerous reasons why it couldn't be done. The two main aspects are the daily standing charges, especially the electricity loading for green levy and to pay for the failed companies, and the other is how about having a nominal charge for the first few units per day to allow at least a minimum life sustaining supply at an affordable rate. Those with high usage will benefit but by only a relatively smaller amount. I'm sure it's not rocket science to work out the averages to arrive at a neutral revenue take.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:35:35 AM by embee »

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #129 on: Today at 12:40:00 PM »
.....The biggest urgency right here and now is the looming catastrophe of so many people not being able to afford to live in the UK (rent/food/energy). I don't hear too much direct action planning from the candidates, time is running, or already has run out. Heads in the sand? Pretend it won't happen? La la la .........

and the other is how about having a nominal charge for the first few units per day to allow at least a minimum life sustaining supply at an affordable rate. Those with high usage will benefit but by only a relatively smaller amount. I'm sure it's not rocket science to work out the averages to arrive at a neutral revenue take.
Seems like a good idea -- similar to a minimum living wage.

Those with high usage will benefit but by only a relatively smaller amount.
There's the rub. That would surely be counter to Conservative policy.

Edit. Added second part.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:10:32 PM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #130 on: Today at 03:37:51 PM »
Copied from a facebook post.

Well after the announcement from the Bank of England , there is something very very very wrong in the system...
So... let me get this straight:
* British Gas made a profit of £1.3bn between January & June
* BP announced profits of £6.95 billion between April and June alone
* Shell has profited by £9.4bn in a year
The MEN at the top:
* John Pettigrew, boss of National Grid received £6.5m bonus on top of his salary
* Chris O’Shea, chief executive of British Gas owner Centrica was paid almost £2m last year in salary and benefits
* Centrica's non-executive directors were paid almost £1m
* Scottish Power's CEO Keith Anderson is on £1.15m.
* E.On boss Michael Lewis is on £1m
* EDF's Simone Rossi is also on £1m
* And their top execs enjoyed a share of £4.65m
* Peter Simpson of Anglian Water earned a £1.3m pay package
* Welsh Water bosses awarded themselves bonuses of over £930,000
* Severn Trent bosses awarded themselves bonuses of £5.56m
* Thames Water's Sarah Bentley, received a £727,000 bonus on top of her £2m annual salary
Meanwhile there are...
* People who haven't had breakfast and/or lunch TODAY, because they can't afford it.
* People using FoodBanks because food is becoming more of a luxury than a necessity.
* Children celebrating a birthday without presents.
* Parents worrying about new school uniforms - and some schools enforcing rules which are not cost-effective.
* People who can't get to work because they can't afford to put petrol in their cars/pay for public transport anymore.
* People who are working so much they're making themselves ill, and they STILL CAN'T AFFORD to pay their bills.
* People who have been given fines by these same energy/water companies because they couldn't afford to pay their bills in the first place - increasing their debt.
* Customers being told to do STAR JUMPS TO KEEP WARM for crying out loud!
* Hose pipe bans when gallons of water leak away everyday.
* Elderly people NOT DRINKING because they're worried about running out of water!!!
All this and energy prices are set to rise up to 75% in October...
THIS IS MADNESS! I'm all for supporting profits. I'm not for supporting greed at the cost of lives of others.
Something needs to change.
Why is customers' money being used to make life more comfortable for those who are making life more intolerable for the rest of us?
I actually don't understand how the energy companies are allowed to get away with this and why the government aren't stopping them instead of handing out money...

Copied & pasted from others.
Keep this going around for all to see

Tags: