Author Topic: Fixed dual Fuel gas/electric coming to an end soon.  (Read 1885 times)

guest9236

Fixed dual Fuel gas/electric coming to an end soon.
« on: June 15, 2022, 12:18:46 PM »
At a loss to know the best solution some say  go to standard tariff, others say a new fixed Tariff.
Wondering if any one else in the same quandary.

Any suggestions  ??

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: Fixed dual Fuel gas/electric coming to an end soon.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 03:12:11 PM »
I think it's anybody's guess as to how quickly and how much the prices will rise in the future.

Here's the latest advice from Martin Lewis.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/martin-lewis-says-now-is-the-time-to-do-one-thing-with-your-energy-bills/ar-AAYsIVu?ocid=BingNewsSearch&fromMaestro=true#comments

guest9236

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 08:11:50 AM »
Now that time has passed,It would be of interest.

Has anyone been successful in there search for a supply at a price that is acceptable
Considering the situation and it’s volatility.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 04:59:05 PM »
I'm lucky. I'm on a fixed tariff until June 2023 but it's going to be hellish for those least able to afford the rises.
Here's the latest from Martin Lewis again.

Hope you managed to get something sorted out.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-08-26/people-will-die-unless-new-pm-has-plan-for-energy-prices-martin-lewis-says

Edit added second link

« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 10:22:48 PM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 07:46:42 PM »
"Consumer champion Martin Lewis tore around central London giving breathless interview after breathless interview, starting on the BBC Radio 4 Today programme at 7.30am. Lewis appeared on 11 separate outlets before 2pm, raging at government failure to act on his warnings, first issued back in March.

But while Lewis was everywhere, and Labour’s shadow ministers piled in unopposed, the government was nowhere. Where, news producers asked, was the energy minister Greg Hands? Or indeed any other minister of the crown? Prime minister Boris Johnson, back from his second summer holiday, or the chancellor for another week at least, Nadhim Zahawi?"

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/aug/27/she-has-no-choice-liz-truss-faces-u-turn-on-energy-if-she-enters-no-10-mps-say

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/aug/26/rising-energy-bills-millions-uk-households-risk-winter-catastrophe-price-cap

EDit added 2nd link

« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 11:15:09 PM by JimSh »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 08:53:14 AM »
At a loss to know the best solution some say  go to standard tariff, others say a new fixed Tariff.
Wondering if any one else in the same quandary.

Any suggestions  ??
Like Jim, I've been unbelievably lucky here: I took a 2-year fix from September last year. At the time, Martin Lewis et al were saying that all the fixed tariffs on offer were more expensive, therefore they were poor value and the thing to do was take a variable tariff. Whilst I have a lot of respect for ML, that didn't seem right to me: my logic was to take a longer view and accept that I'd be paying more for the first few months, if the cap rose after the initial period I'd be quids-in, but if it fell I'd simply transfer away (no exit charges on the tariff). The gamble worked and I was "in profit" after just a month of the rise of the cap in April (but obviously I have a cliff-edge coming up in a year's time). So I'd suggest anyone in that position now should take a longer-term view by doing some sums comparing the best fixed tariff available with what they will be paying on a variable tariff, making some assumptions about the effects of what the gurus are saying the cap will do over the next few cycles.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 12:44:32 PM »
Our previous fixed deal with BG Evolve finished in May 22. Took up offer of BG's Exclusive Fixed Energy v12 until May 2024.
Initially more expensive in first 3 months but over the 2year period if Price cap stays at the expected October figure for my area until May 2024 we will save £3634.

See attached graph.

(Based on analysis of 16 years usage in house for both gas & electric and has always produced better predictions than five suppliers used in that time.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 01:58:45 PM »
Our previous fixed deal with BG Evolve finished in May 22. Took up offer of BG's Exclusive Fixed Energy v12 until May 2024.
Initially more expensive in first 3 months but over the 2year period if Price cap stays at the expected October figure for my area until May 2024 we will save £3634.
I think you stand to gain a lot more than that.
The cap looks set to be raised every three months.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-08-27/energy-bills-forecast-to-hit-7700-next-year-in-worst-price-cap-warning-yet

Edit Added link
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 03:38:37 PM by JimSh »

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 04:33:11 PM »

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-08-27/energy-bills-forecast-to-hit-7700-next-year-in-worst-price-cap-warning-yet

Edit Added link

Possibly, but only assuming October change at the moment.
May lose out if cap actually reduced by generous government help and end up paying more - but doubt this.

Monitoring and as soon as other tariffs come within the £200 cancellation cost of current will then change.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 04:47:17 PM »

Edit Added link

May lose out if cap actually reduced by generous government help and end up paying more - but doubt this.
You should be so lucky.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 04:55:35 PM by JimSh »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2022, 07:08:49 PM »
I looked at the natural gas price in August 2021 and immediately took out a three year fixed price deal starting September 2021..Squiremd for a month or so and then smiled.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2022, 11:31:18 AM »
Here's what Octopus are advocating.

https://octopus.energy/blog/an-energy-tariff-deficit-fund-to-shelter-customers-from-the-crisis/#:~:text=An%20Energy%20Tariff%20Deficit%20Fund%2C%20implemented%20prior%20to,after%20that%20down%20to%20%C2%A31%2C100%20over%20a%20decade.

Discclaimer. I have no connection with Octopus (except for electricity and gas ) ::)
As stated above, I have a fixed contract with them expiring June 2023 when I'm assuming my payments will increase dramatically unless the government gets a grip on the situation.
I'm not hopeful of that.   :(  >:(

Especially after reading this.
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/opinion/liz-truss-energy-bills-oil-gas-climate-b2155598.html
 >:( >:( >:( >:(
Edit Added disclaimer.
Second edit added Independent link
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 02:54:29 PM by JimSh »

Tags: