Author Topic: Tyre change  (Read 3304 times)

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S 1.3 CVT
Tyre change
« on: June 08, 2022, 11:03:50 PM »
Just had to change all 4 tyres only 2016 Jazz S CVT at 32000 miles. Tread was fine but side walls were crazing and splitting on the original Michelin Energy's 185/60R15. Went for 185/60R15 Michelin Crossclimate 2 and am running 34 front 33 back. Wow super improvement on ride quality, handling and lack of noise. Car is more like a limo than a jazz. Tyres are not cheap but certainly worth every penny.

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Re: Tyre change
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 08:41:24 AM »
Just had to change all 4 tyres only 2016 Jazz S CVT at 32000 miles. Tread was fine but side walls were crazing and splitting on the original Michelin Energy's 185/60R15. Went for 185/60R15 Michelin Crossclimate 2 and am running 34 front 33 back. Wow super improvement on ride quality, handling and lack of noise. Car is more like a limo than a jazz. Tyres are not cheap but certainly worth every penny.

Great choice! Had Crossclimate's on my old Nissan Qashqai. They have remarkable longevity, perform flawlessly in winter and, as you say, actually improve ride comfort. Well-worth the extra cost!

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 10:27:45 AM »
I've recently had a set of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen3 tyres put on my Yaris. The refinement and ride comfort is very good, way better than the mix of Avon and Chinese things which were on it. Obviously can't comment on cold/snow etc, (mind you, it is still only June, anything could happen).

At my current use rate I doubt I'll ever wear out the OE Michelins on the Jazz, but if we are still able/allowed to drive petrol cars when the time comes (and I'm still fit to drive) I'd certainly put some form of all-season tyres on it.  ;D

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 02:27:04 PM »
I've recently had a set of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen3 tyres put on my Yaris. The refinement and ride comfort is very good, way better than the mix of Avon and Chinese things which were on it. Obviously can't comment on cold/snow etc, (mind you, it is still only June, anything could happen).
Never say never. the attached photo was taken on the Gottard Pass in Switzerland in June 2019.

The Yaris was fitted with Goodyear Vector 4 Season gen 2.  Superior in every way to the Pirelli Cinurato P6 summer tyres they replaced  (the pirelli still had 6 mm tread)        Better in summer,  and not even in the same ball park in winter  - Limpet vs ice hockey puck.

Over the years I have driven in snow in June July and August.  Winter legal all season tyres ,and a set of snow chains, suits my peculiar needs better than separate summer and winter tyres, and having to decide which would be best for the current season and location.  :-\

I have recently bought a set of  Vector 4 season Gen 3  ,fitted to after market alloys  for my Mk4  (happy to buy the newer tyre version of the devil I know). Not driven on them yet, as I  want to get some more wear out of my original wheels and summer tyres.   
A second set of wheels is a bit drastic for most, but Folks if you need new tyres  I dont think you will be disappointed with a decent  brand of all seasons for all year round use.  .     They are a world away  from the  so called 'all season' tyres available a few years ago
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 03:04:37 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 05:08:05 PM »
...Never say never. the attached photo was taken on the Gottard Pass in Switzerland in June 2019. ...
;D
Yep, I've been in a snow shower on 1st July when crossing an Aline pass on a motorbike trip. Up there it can happen any day of the year.
Not quite the same here in leafy Warwickshire, chances are we won't see any snow at all, last winter I think we had 2 days when we got a thin sprinkling which lasted a few hours.
I worked in Austria for a bit, and you knew within a week or so when the snow would start. Winter tyre season would be announced, typically first week of December IIRC.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 07:32:23 PM »
I have photographs taken in Burntisland (Fife) one June when a sudden heavy snowfall occurred. It didn't lie for long, but while it did it was a couple of inches thick.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 08:07:42 AM »
In Germany you must have tyres suitable for the current weather  conditions, regardless of the date. So if it suddenly snows  in July those on summer tyres should stop driving immediately and park until conditions improve.   ???.  Increasingly likely in spring and autumn.
   This legislation prompted the rapid development and improvement   of all season tyres, suitable for 130 mph on the autobahn in the summer,but also  winter conditions typical of central europe.   (In nordic countries etc ,proper winter tyres are adviseable, but these are unsuitable for summer)   Incredibly Iceland has no legal requirement for winter tyres  ,but in reality without them    you would be in deep (erm) snow  with your insurers.  >:(

This legistlation does not apply to the UK of course, and those  of us who can pick and chose which weather to drive in  might not need to rush to buy all season tyres.

But its the weather and road conditions  that affects your ability to stop ,steer , or ineed get any traction at all.Not legislation.  Personally I think anyone needing to replace their summer tyres would be daft not to consider  all seasons.     

I loved my Goodyear Vectors,  Michelin crossclimates are well thought of , as are Vredsteins . 
   I have experience of much cheaper all seasons   on another car.  (Kumho Solus)  They are more than adequate, but a bit 'squeally' when making tight turns on smooth tarmac (such as multi storey car parks) and I didnt think they climbed a steep muddy track quite as well as the Goodyears would have done  ,although it was a different car.  Summer tyres would have stood no chance !    On the  plus side the Kumho are quiet, comfortable ride , wear well, and still perform at least as well in the summer as many budget brand summer tyres  (and a few premium ones)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 08:36:24 AM by Lord Voltermore »

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 11:15:14 PM »
We've just put four CrossClimates on our 2016 CR-V and the difference in road noise and ride quality is astonishing! it's good to hear they make a difference on the Jazz too as I'll need to get some in the future due to the factory Dunlops cracking badly :(

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 03:44:03 PM »
Remember to change your tyres at 10 years, whether they are worn or not.

The rubber dries out they crack and don't perform as they should, also more susceptible to blowouts.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 01:42:44 PM »
10 years old is an mot failure if the vehicle has 8 or more seats.  Seems they are happy for you to have a blow out on the motorway if only 5 people are at risk

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 11:19:42 AM »

The rubber dries out they crack and don't perform as they should, also more susceptible to blowouts.

I disagree. Of course the compound is ageing and degrading the performance, but if there is enough tread and no deep cracks on tread it is perfectly suitable and safe for use for 20 years. Risk of blowout is negligible in steel belted radial tubeless tyres. In my opinion 20 year old Michelin or Goodyear is better and safer tyre than a new Chinese cheap c..p tyre.

I have driven many sets of tyres over 25 years old and the end of life damage has always been belt damage causing bulge on tread. And that's very easy to feel on steering wheel at low speed.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 11:21:21 AM by TnTkr »

Redstart

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2022, 08:42:20 PM »
I've had my crossclimates on for 25K. Still have 4mm+ on all. Excellent tyres. Good grip a smooth and quiet ride. Costco often does offers on Michelins.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2022, 10:22:51 AM »

I disagree. Of course the compound is ageing and degrading the performance, but if there is enough tread and no deep cracks on tread it is perfectly suitable and safe for use for 20 years. Risk of blowout is negligible in steel belted radial tubeless tyres. In my opinion 20 year old Michelin or Goodyear is better and safer tyre than a new Chinese cheap c..p tyre.

I have driven many sets of tyres over 25 years old and the end of life damage has always been belt damage causing bulge on tread. And that's very easy to feel on steering wheel at low speed.
No offence , but maybe things are different in Finland.   The weather , the  predominant types of roads ,  the amount of sun at certain times of year  ,  tyres typically being put into storage for half of each year  , and more likely to have both their inner and outer walls  examined closely twice a year at tyre/wheel swop time. 

Some tyres last better than others.  Take a look at the photos on this kwik fit web page.  :o  Extreme  examples maybe,and they have a commercial interest in selling more tyres ,  but someone had them on their car.
https://www.kwik-fit.com/blog/why-are-my-tyres-cracking

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2022, 11:15:25 AM »
Your are right, there are some differences in operational environment and profile. But annual examining of the tyres is very questionable in practise. Especially because side wall cracking often becomes visible only when the tyre is deflated, like in the kwik-fit picures.

In Finland the relevant criteria regarding tyres in annual inspection (vs UK MOT) is "apparent risk of failure", and side wall cracking is not automatically rejection criteria in annual inspection (MOT), only if cord layers are visible.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2022, 02:36:59 PM »
The UK mot is also quite forgiving  with regard to cracking tyres, as long as  the cord structure is not exposed.

If anyone is interested in the detail here is the relevant section of the official MOT  testers  manual 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/5-axles-wheels-tyres-and-suspension#section-5-2-3

I have in the past used tyres with some micro cracking. You can also get this at the bottom of tread grooves as well as on  side walls.. It may not necessarily be dangerous  but it does indicate some deterioration  that I'd rather  not have ,  especially  at motorway speeds at extreme temperatures. 

That said my biggest narrow escape with tyres was due to a bad side wall bulge that formed suddenly .  There was no visible   signs of damage ,or cracking, when I started the journey  .But as you say when the bulge formed I could feel it in the steering. ,Fortunately   I suspected the reason and stopped in time.  (It was actually on a hire car. A previous driver may have caused hidden structural damage  by hitting  a pothole/kerb.) 

It may help others to be aware that you can get similar sudden  wheel balance/tyre thumping issues  if a balancing weight drops off, or the wheel gets a build up of mud.  But you should assume its tyre damage and stop  urgently to check for damage/bulges etc.  -and check the hidden inner side walls as well as the visible ones.       

Tags: