Author Topic: 2021 Jazz Style White with Black Roof - Run-in thoughts.  (Read 862 times)

PeskyJazz

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Style
2021 Jazz Style White with Black Roof - Run-in thoughts.
« on: June 03, 2022, 01:09:33 PM »
Hi and thanks for welcoming me to the forum.  I have had my Jazz  four months and only take long trips.  The Jazz really seems to like the over 25 mile trips and I regularly do 150 miles at a time. 
It seems to me that it is best to run in the Jazz with long trips initially, there was a trace of oil consumption at first but none now.  Also, if the engine is good and warm, I don't detect any oil break down or oil dilution which was a problem with Honda Hybrids.  If you get the engine and catalytic warm from the start, you are more likely to go into EV mode for longer periods, I sometimes go for almost a mile in EV mode once Pesky is hot and good to go.  I am not saying that short trips are bad for the Jazz but I think it best to consolidate trips and go for a good old run rather than short hops.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: 2021 Jazz Style White with Black Roof - Run-in thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 08:06:33 AM »
I currently have my speedo set in kilometers, in which mode the momentary fuel consumption bar works in a more  intuitive way  - ie short is good, long is bad, albeit in litres per 100 km 

If the engine is running, even when warm, mine consumes fuel at about the following rates. -

Slow engine speed , barely audible . typical  for normal use when the engine needs to start to keep the battery topped up .      about 5 litres per 100 km   = 56 mpg   

medium engine speed , engine audible  - typical  for a sudden brisk overtake, or climbing a fairly steep hill.   10 -12 litres per 100 km    28 mpg - 23 mpg. 

High engine  speed. Engine quite noisy.  This is not common. Many drivers have yet to experience this.  Only happens if you really put the pedal to the metal,     15 - 20 litres per 100 km  18 -14 mpg.   :o

At first I was horrified to find that at times I was only getting 18 mpg  . This  concerned me more than any rise in noise level.    But even conventional petrol and diesel cars have similarly   high fuel consumption in these circumstances.    They just lack the Jazz Hybrids ability to average this out against periods when they are using no fuel at all. 

If you mostly do short trips from a cold start , or drive at motorways speeds, or drive 'enthusiastically,  the engine will be running more often, guzzling petrol .With fewer periods when its using no fuel at all .  Simples. The fuel consumption overall will be good, but not exceptional compared to some small conventional cars. 

With mixed driving,  I was once able to average  82 mpg over 500 miles  , despite occasional bursts at only 18 mpg or less.      I've posted  that  trip computer reading on the main mpg thread  because  " It took so long to bake it,and  I'll  never have that  recipe  again"     (It was  crossing the alps, not in Mac Arthur park  ;) )
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 08:45:34 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: