Author Topic: 12V battery after long stand-still  (Read 4454 times)

Botak

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX
Re: 12V battery after long stand-still
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2022, 02:36:14 PM »
I wonder how many of us double/deadlock the car ?

I did not so far. But in future I will add that to the protocol when there is a long period of stand still (at least every winter). I also switch off the key, like Jazzik. I dont know if that has any affect on shutting down the keyless system.I dont think so. But there is also no reason to keep the key activated when we are away. Before our departure for a absence of 2,5 months I hesitated whwther I would  also remove the fuse of the keyless system. I decided not to and just see how it turned out without any specific action to cut off any systems. And the result was very reassuring, see the measerments in my earlier post. That means, I think, the systems do require a minimum amout af current, or that the systems after a while turn off.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2022, 03:34:36 PM »
  Has anyone actually started a  Mk4  or similar hybrid  with a flat 12v battery using one of these power bank type jump starters?   

In theory it should work.  They claim maybe 200 amps, with 400 amp momentary peak,  and the ability to start a conventional car.

The little I know about hybrids  I believe its not enough just to provide a few amps of 12 volts just to wake the cars computer.   There are also relays and things that take quite a few amps to activate.  30 amps rings a bell but it may be more .

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2022, 11:30:19 AM »
The little I know about hybrids  I believe its not enough just to provide a few amps of 12 volts just to wake the cars computer.   There are also relays and things that take quite a few amps to activate.  30 amps rings a bell but it may be more .
Or maybe the only relay that needs to be powered by the 12V system is that to connect the HV battery? Once that is connected then it will provide 12V power via an inverter.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2022, 01:35:18 PM »
Or maybe the only relay that needs to be powered by the 12V system is that to connect the HV battery? Once that is connected then it will provide 12V power via an inverter.
Yes I think thats what it is.  IIRC the computer does various rapid  checks and if all is in order it 'throws' an isolator  switch to bring the HV battery into use to do its magic ,allow engine starting etc . When switching off ,or there  a fault or situation requiring it, the HV battery is isolated again.   I may have got it wrong, or over simplified it.   I think the article I read , which I cant find at present,  said that Honda only have one such system check/isolator while some brands have two .
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: