Author Topic: RDMS and winter  (Read 16846 times)

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
Re: RDMS and winter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2021, 08:33:08 PM »
I turn RDMS off every journey start.
+1, useless piece of equipment and downright dangerous on UK country roads.

It's horrible and really annoying. I now turn it off when it starts to become really annoying. Problem is, it seems to need a combination of around 20 button presses and roller clicks to turn it off and you have to do that every journey.
Or does anyone know another way? I hope so, because I am seriously thinking of changing to a Toyota Yaris Cross. That's if I can get a response from Toyota. Cannot even get a brochure, only a download. Even Carwow gets me no quotes.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 08:38:30 PM by stiggysawdust »
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2021, 08:51:26 PM »
It's horrible and really annoying. I now turn it off when it starts to become really annoying.

Did you already experience that RDMS switched itself off (temporarily)? When you ignore it twice or three times it does.
Anyway, when you keep your hands (firmly) on the wheel you win!  ;)

I hope so, because I am seriously thinking of changing to a Toyota Yaris Cross.

I am sorry to announce that on a Dutch Toyota Hybrid forum people have the same complaints about LTA (the name Toyota uses for their RDMS). So a Yaris Cross won't solve the problem...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 10:16:18 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 04:58:52 AM »
To turn RDMS off :

1) Press the top centre button by your right knee - that will change the speedo display to show 3 of the safety systems.
RDMS is the top one and therefore automatically has the focus.

2) Press the roller button and the RDMS changes from green to white.

Done.

Note: When you first startup,  the speedo display will show seat belt info for many minutes, if you allow it. Just keep pressing the home button until you get to your chosen default display - then go to 1) above.
Let's be careful out there !

PaulC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 08:51:52 PM »
To turn RDMS off :

1) Press the top centre button by your right knee - that will change the speedo display to show 3 of the safety systems.

Is this for a car with left hand drive?

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 09:46:32 PM »
Having driven 3k miles with it switched on, it’s now likely to always be switched off whenever I start the car.

Many of the roads I drive on are narrow winding country roads, which set off many false alarms. Having the system shut off due to condensation made me appreciate not having it on.

I drove down to Beaulieu museum the other day, there is a perfectly straight road to get there that is plenty wide enough… but RDMS was giving alerts while driving along it!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2021, 10:37:28 PM »
To turn RDMS off :

In our (left hand drive) Jazz you find the button at your left knee.
In addition, RDMS is not the top, but the middle safety symbol.
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 05:23:00 AM »
To turn RDMS off :

No ... wherever your under dash buttons are

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2021, 11:10:52 AM »
Having completed a 25 mile journey with RDMS manually switched off… I might be imagining it, but the steering seemed slightly better/sharper.

Perhaps RDMS has a tiny effect on steering quality when it’s on?

I have lots of windy country roads on my journey.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2021, 11:24:46 AM »
I have lots of windy country roads on my journey.
Windy or windy?  :D
Neil Ives

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2021, 12:41:36 PM »
Can be both! I’m impressed with the stability of the Jazz at high speed in strong winds.

It’s much better than the mk1 Yaris hybrid I used to have.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2021, 10:16:00 AM »
Now that I have driven several hundred miles with RDMS manually disabled...

I've noticed the steering is definitely a bit lighter and sharper at low speeds!

There shouldn't be any reason for this, as lane departure should only activate if you cross a white line without indicating, but perhaps it's keeping a slight connection to the steering all the time ready to react when the system is active?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2021, 10:46:19 AM »
I've got a real mental block about how to turn this thing off despite the excellent explanations above. It seems a monumental PITA to do so I've decided to leave it on. Fortunately there is only one bit of road near me when it activates and that's a junction with a left turn lane and two other lanes, the outer one being a right turn as well as a straight ahead. The system doesn't like this and I guess it's because there are parked cars and a bit of a cluster of vehicles at the lights.

The state of my understanding of these systems is illustrated by the fact that I thought it was Lane Keep Assist! I am right in thinking, aren't I, that this only operates above 40 mph and you have to turn it on?

I mentioned this on another thread but I have a friend who changes his car every 3 years on PCP deals. His current vehicle is a Lexus self charging hybrid. We were discussing all these various devices and he said he just drives the car and ignores most of the beeps. He never uses ACC either.

This is the first car I've had where I am genuinely nervous about exploring all the various menus so I am pretty close to adopting my friend's approach. I've got the radio set to my favourite station and the screen that shows the mpg etc. I can't even begin to work out how you check the various trip meters so mine is permanently on A.

I have to say I found the controls on the Mk3 to be vastly more user friendly.

I love the car though and now I've reconciled myself to just ignoring the various "aides" I am happy!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2021, 10:52:37 AM »
I followed a 20 reg Skoda Fabia yesterday and on every LH bend when traffic was coming the other way his brake lights came on randomly,  and at one point in a 40 limit the car was down to 25mph,  I did wonder if driver was a victim of modern tech ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2021, 12:23:09 PM »
I've got a real mental block about how to turn this thing off despite the excellent explanations above.

Once you are in and powered up, if like me you will get the initial display :

Keep pressing the steering wheel Home button until you get to your favourite user set screen.
This will likely take you through the various seat belt displays :

Once there, press this button by your right knee :

This will change the display to this :

In this example the RDMS is the top of the 3 so is already selected.

Now press the rotary button just to the left of the Home button and this should occur :

Now just press the Home button again to get back to your pre-set favourite.

Proper Job

KremSearch (Just a tag to help me find this quickly next time)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 03:51:27 AM by Kremmen »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2021, 12:49:51 PM »
Excellent. Thanks for this Kremmen. I will definitely give this a go.

I think I need a "fiddling about" session with the car stationary. I must say the user guide they give you with the car is useless but I have accessed the on-line version.

Just to see if I am alone in my incompetence I googled the topic of "being overwhelmed by tech in new cars" and a gratifyingly large number of entries appeared. BMW dealerships allowing 2 to 3 hours to "explain" the car (this was Australia) and people even coming back for refresher courses!

It also seems to be the case that a large number of people do not use much of the technology on board a modern car.

Tags: