Author Topic: Event Code Logging?  (Read 681 times)

MKPhil

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Jazz 1.4 CVT
Event Code Logging?
« on: January 22, 2021, 06:39:18 PM »
I've got a 2004 Jazz and I was wondering if there was anywhere that the Engine Management computer logged when error codes were generated?  If not a time code, then maybe at what mileage it occurred?  The EML light was on when we bought the car and I later found it was the O2 sensors.  Although I told the salesman at the time, the garage want us to prove what fault was present at the time of purchase.  I have a basic ODBII Bluetooth adapter which connects to my Android phone.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Event Code Logging?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 08:25:29 PM »
As far as I know, there is no log as such. You can only read codes that are present, and historic codes which are no longer present. Once deleted, they are gone.

How long since you purchased the car? Up to 6 months, the onus is on the dealer to prove that the fault did not exist at the time of purchase, not the buyer.

Your rights summed up here

https://www.themotorombudsman.org/knowledge-base/what-can-i-do-if-i-have-a-problem-with-my-car-purchase

MKPhil

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Jazz 1.4 CVT
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 10:41:18 PM »
That's a pity.  The back-story here is that the car was sold without a catalytic convertor - just a piece of pipe bolted in place instead (at least, that's what I'm trying to prove as the EML light was on when I bought it) - it's been fixed but I'm trying to see if I can get some money back from the dealer who sold it to us. It's been more than 6 months so I have to demonstrate the fault was there at purchase.  I should probably have not bought the car or at least had it looked at sooner but hey, live and learn!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 11:06:36 AM »
That's a pity.  The back-story here is that the car was sold without a catalytic convertor - just a piece of pipe bolted in place instead (at least, that's what I'm trying to prove as the EML light was on when I bought it)

Was it discovered at MOT time, perchance? You may have have a reasonable excuse to have not discovered the fault within the six month cut off. The dealer may have bought the car in like that, but the fact remains that they sold an unroadworthy vehicle.

How long before purchase was it MOTed? You said that you reported the EML to the dealer, what was their response? Make sure everything is written down with dates, even if you have no evidence.

I think you would have a case in small claims court with a report from the MOT garage, especially if they can give some indication how long since the work was done. It's fairly obvious if exhaust parts are recent, or if they've been on a year. Regardless of the 6 month cut off, SCC will judge on the balance of probabilities, and even if you have no evidence of what was said, it's your word against the dealer's. If you have a plausible log of what was said and when, and the dealer simply denies it all, it doesn't look good.

At the end of the day, it's down to whether you think it's worth the effort. There's no reason why you couldn't suggest to the dealer that SCC will be your next course of action.

Tags:

anything