Author Topic: CVT filter  (Read 3541 times)

thatgraemeguy

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 7.3L/100km
  • My Honda: 2007 Honda Jazz 1.4 DSI (GD1) CVT
CVT filter
« on: January 21, 2021, 04:47:49 PM »
As per my intro post I've been servicing my 2007 GD1 CVT Jazz since I bought it in Jan 2016. I have a friend who owns an auto parts shop and while we were chatting about car stuff recently I mentioned that I need to come around and get some routing service goodies and also do a CVT fluid change. He asked me if I've ever replaced the oil filter for the CVT and that came as a bit of a surprise as I'd not seen it mentioned before. I called my local Honda dealer and the parts guy said yep, there is a filter, part number 25450-PWR-003.

Now I cannot for the life of me figure out where this goes.... all I've managed to track down is the instructions for CVT disassenbly: http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/K2/SAA2EK2E15117300000LCAT00.HTML, this mentions inspecting the filter........ so is this an internal filter that isn't a routine service item that us mere mortals need to concern ourselves with?

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
Re: CVT filter
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 06:30:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum, I'm also in SA!

Apparently the Mk3 CVT Jazz has an external filter that can be changed but the MK1 is internal and there's no way to replace that without opening the box up. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure to use Honda CVT-F fluid when you do the oil change. Another Saffer said he uses Toyota CVT Fluid FE in his Jazz for something like 120k+ km with no ill effect, its way cheaper than the Honda CVT-F, R750 for 4L.
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

thatgraemeguy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 06:53:37 PM »
OK cool, thanks for that. I got my CVT fluid from Ravenol in Obs, they claim that the Honda stuff is actually manufactured by Ravenol anyway. I've bought some supposedly special snowflake oils for my Jeep from them in the past, so far so good.

I did struggle earlier getting the drain plug bolt out, it just wouldn't budge. The washer was very deformed, I suspect the Honda dealer may have used an impact gun to tighten it last time they did a CVT flush (when I purchased it there was a severe shudder, the dealer I purchased from paid to have a double flush done). Also, the car was standing for almost 2 hours before I tried, so tomorrow I'm going to go for a 20 min drive and then jack it up and try to crack it loose immediately, maybe it was just too cold earlier.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 08:44:08 PM »
OK cool, thanks for that. I got my CVT fluid from Ravenol in Obs, they claim that the Honda stuff is actually manufactured by Ravenol anyway. I've bought some supposedly special snowflake oils for my Jeep from them in the past, so far so good.

I did struggle earlier getting the drain plug bolt out, it just wouldn't budge. The washer was very deformed, I suspect the Honda dealer may have used an impact gun to tighten it last time they did a CVT flush (when I purchased it there was a severe shudder, the dealer I purchased from paid to have a double flush done). Also, the car was standing for almost 2 hours before I tried, so tomorrow I'm going to go for a 20 min drive and then jack it up and try to crack it loose immediately, maybe it was just too cold earlier.
Isn't the Ravenol even more expensive than the Honda CVT-F at R1400 4L?
Has your CVT been trouble free since it was flushed in 2016 when you first got it, what mileage have you put on it since?

thatgraemeguy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 09:03:23 PM »
Has your CVT been trouble free since it was flushed in 2016 when you first got it, what mileage have you put on it since?

Nope, 4L from Ravenol was just slightly over R1k. As I said, when I bought it there was a really violent shudder from time to time, the whole dashboard would shake very violently when pulling away from standstill, especially on an incline. After Honda did their double flush it went away completely. I've notice a lighter vibration lately when pulling off from standstill so I'm doing a fluid change again.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 09:03:17 AM »

Nope, 4L from Ravenol was just slightly over R1k. As I said, when I bought it there was a really violent shudder from time to time, the whole dashboard would shake very violently when pulling away from standstill, especially on an incline. After Honda did their double flush it went away completely. I've notice a lighter vibration lately when pulling off from standstill so I'm doing a fluid change again.
That's interesting and at Ravenol you can buy it by the litre if I remember correctly?

Because the CVT change only needs 3.4L or thereabouts so I would prefer to just buy 3L and only do 3L each change but do it every 20k km not 40k km as per the updated recommended CVT oil change interval. You've probably pushed it a bit by going past 40k since the last change.

How do you perceive the reliability of the GD CVT boxes?

thatgraemeguy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 05:55:42 PM »
That's interesting and at Ravenol you can buy it by the litre if I remember correctly?

Because the CVT change only needs 3.4L or thereabouts so I would prefer to just buy 3L and only do 3L each change but do it every 20k km not 40k km as per the updated recommended CVT oil change interval. You've probably pushed it a bit by going past 40k since the last change.

I'm not sure if you can buy 1L at a time. I just bought the 4L.

Yeah I did push it a bit. For some reason I thought it had more on the odo when I bought it, but when I checked recently I realised its been about 50k since it was last done by Honda.

Reliability..... I don't know..... negative voices tend to make more noise so I try not to focus on those too much. Sure sometimes they die, but nothing's immune to that I guess. Mine has done 212k km and no issues. There weren't any worryingly large metal bits on the drain plug bolt when I drained it this morning, so that's a good sign I guess.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 09:43:16 PM »

I'm not sure if you can buy 1L at a time. I just bought the 4L.

Yeah I did push it a bit. For some reason I thought it had more on the odo when I bought it, but when I checked recently I realised its been about 50k since it was last done by Honda.

Reliability..... I don't know..... negative voices tend to make more noise so I try not to focus on those too much. Sure sometimes they die, but nothing's immune to that I guess. Mine has done 212k km and no issues. There weren't any worryingly large metal bits on the drain plug bolt when I drained it this morning, so that's a good sign I guess.
I've seen 2 or 3 GD CVT's in SA with near 300k on the clock. I spoke to the Honda authorised gearbox service centre in Cape Town and they said they mainly only see them to replace the clutch packs and sometimes the external solenoids or sensors need replacing.

The GD CVT Jazz was very popular, there's still tons of them around, the 2005 onwards CVT also got an uprated clutch pack so there's that as well.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 08:58:40 AM »
Apart from I'm assuming solving the pull off thudder, did you notice any difference in how the gearbox responds after using the Ravenol CVT oil?

thatgraemeguy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 09:15:59 AM »
 Nope, its back to normal now.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 12:32:32 PM »
I saw Ravenol does actually sell the CVT fluid in 1L packs, strangely it's a few rand less than the price per L in the 4L containers, I'm going to change 3L every 20k km.

thatgraemeguy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 12:35:25 PM »
Yeah I think I might do it every other year from now on simply due to the age. How would you measure to ensure you're only draining 3L though?

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 07:58:07 PM »
Yeah I think I might do it every other year from now on simply due to the age. How would you measure to ensure you're only draining 3L though?
A full drain is 3.4L, I'll drain the oil into a clean container and just put 400ml back in after the clean oil.

Or I suppose if I'm doing it more often I can buy 4L and save the 500ml each time for the next time but I I'll probably go with option one.

The main point of the oil change is to keep the total CVT oil contamination down(you can't unfortunately drain it all unless you open the box) and doing 3L every 20k km is a good deal better than 3.4L every 40k km as per Honda's updated CVT oil change interval.

thatgraemeguy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 10:22:43 AM »
Ah yeah I suppose that'll work.

Tags: