Author Topic: sparkplugs  (Read 4353 times)

dave456

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 es 2006 cvt
sparkplugs
« on: February 26, 2018, 10:22:50 AM »
hi members i have a honda jazz 1.4 cvt 2003 i would like to known witch is best spark plug for this car i know honda say ngk but i was going to try bosch plugs as any body else tried these plugs any advise would be help full 

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: sparkplugs
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »
hi members i have a honda jazz 1.4 cvt 2003 i would like to known witch is best spark plug for this car i know honda say ngk but i was going to try bosch plugs as any body else tried these plugs any advise would be help full

I would stick with NGK or Denso, both excellent plugs widely used as OEM parts.  Don't be tempted to buy really cheap plugs off internet sites as there are some dodgy copies around that could end you with a big repair bill if they fall apart in cylinder.

I use Opie for oil, oil filters air and cabin filters and plugs - top service and decent prices.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-63563-ngk-bkr6e-11-2756-standard-spark-plug-sparkplug-projected-centre-electrode.aspx

if you prefer Denso..

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-62898-denso-spark-plug-k20pr-u11.aspx
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 10:47:45 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 03:23:58 PM »
Changed mine today, used NGK, neglible price difference with Bosch, both reputable brands, shouldn't matter which you choose.
Engine management light came on afterwards, went out again after about 20 minutes revvy driving (AKA an Italian tune-up).
All seems well now!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 04:22:51 PM »
Engine management light came on afterwards
Strange. Never had anything like that when we changed the plugs on my 06.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 05:24:13 PM »
Probably my own error Jocko, when I put it all back together and fired it up I'd forgotten to re-connect the main cable at the front, although it started up & ran smoothly, I noticed it and plugged it in before I noticed engine light. So that's maybe what caused it.
Car ran smoother and quieter after changing plugs, they had been in there a number of years, local garage kept telling me they were fine, don't waste money replacing them for last few years which saved me £s to be fair, saved again by doing it myself, quids in.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 03:09:13 PM »
Re. my above post, just to clarify, I now know the plug I left off was actually EGR valve & nothing to do with spark plugs, car's now stuttering a bit which I presume is EGR valve needing a clean (never been done, car's 15 years old) I've ordered gasket & carb cleaner to tackle this when I'm off work & weather is passable.

Sorry for any confusion, last time I worked on cars myself was circa 1990 (Ford Orion 1.6i). Things have moved on a bit since then, I'll catch up eventually!

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 03:32:53 PM »
Changed the 8 spark plugs today.

The back one were different. Front NGK and back BOSCH, and were more blacker. Goes to show that most people doesn't change the back ones.

It was very easy to do , just take your time and don't loose the screws.......

Took about 1 hr for all 8 plugs.

jonathan

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 06:02:12 PM »
Plus 8 plugs only cost £16 Ngk plugs from gsf. Always doing a 59-60% every weekend.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 06:02:56 PM »
When I first changed my plugs both sides were different. One side was NGK and the other Denso? And this car I had from new.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 06:19:28 PM »
Plus 8 plugs only cost £16 Ngk plugs from gsf. Always doing a 59-60% every weekend.

Unfortunately there are lots of counterfeit parts on the market,  China is a massive producer of sub-standard parts with well known names on them. Plenty of people been victims on other forums including motorbike forums.  The plugs will have steel cores instead of copper alloy and plating and threads suspect.

https://thecounterfeitreport.com/product/400/Ngk-Spark-Plugs.html
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 06:21:35 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jonathan

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 06:33:20 PM »
C. I understand your sceptism, however even normal retail prices can be counterfeit.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 06:57:36 PM by jonathan »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 07:58:14 PM »
C. I understand your sceptism, however even normal retail prices can be counterfeit.

But less likely to be  :-X

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 11:13:32 PM »
The plugs I used were NGK which cost about £16 for 8 from an apparently (as well as you can tell) reputable seller on ebay, this was the going rate for these spark plugs from lots of sellers, when I changed them it was identical ones I removed, these are standard life plugs, should be changed at 12,000 miles or thereabouts, more expensive, extended life ones are available from NGK and other brands. I have no reason to suspect the plugs I got were counterfeit, I am a former engineer and examined them before fitting, all appeared in order.
GSF are a reputable company, I am sure the plugs they sold you are the genuine standard life plugs, by the way, they last a lot longer than 12000 miles.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 08:59:06 AM »
Last year I bought 8 off NKG BKR6E-11 plugs from TMS Motor Spares, a reputable motor factor here in Scotland, and they cost £14.98.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 11:35:33 PM »
I recently replaced the four front sparkplugs, how hard is it to replace the back four, how deep are they?

Tags: