Author Topic: Good quality polish  (Read 13829 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Good quality polish
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »
my routine, for many years, was to wash with a shampoo/wax (like Triple Wax) having rinsed the car first with a watering can, I would then wash with a sponge, rinse off with several watering cans full and then dry with a chamois. I also had a routine with Turtle Wax Original Liquid Wax where I would do a quarter of the car once a month (except during the really bad weather which meant it got polished/waxed twice a year.
Pretty much what I have done with every car before the Jazz (Volvo got the Culzean treatment. Did give it a quick polish before I sold it). Current regime is not all that different other than using two buckets.
What's different about the Jazz? It is tiny and doesn't take long too do.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2018, 09:24:40 PM »
My latest investment has been a Kent Microfibre drying towel. Got it from Amazon. Not sure when I'll get to use it as the Beast from the East seems to have taken up residence.

I think the main thing is to avoid scratching so I now use a mitt and a grit guard (don't do 2 buckets unless car really filthy). The Microfibre drying towel is the latest acquisition. Looking forward to seeing how the Supagard does, or does not, stack up.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 07:03:39 AM »
Do you use rinseless shampoo? I use Dodo Juice Low On Eau Rinseless Wash. I just wash the panel with the mitt then immediately dry it with the microfibre towel. Does a lovely quick job.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00STO168Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2018, 11:03:56 AM »
I haven't used it but I am interested in it. I have access to a hose but, in saying that, there are times when you don't want to squirt gallons of water all over the place.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018, 11:11:04 AM »
I haven't used it but I am interested in it. I have access to a hose but, in saying that, there are times when you don't want to squirt gallons of water all over the place.

I do have a hose with a soft brush that plugs into it and use it occasionally with shampoo sticks when too much dirt / salt gets onto the car - just plain Shropshire hard water from the tap.  I use a water brush because it seems to be the best way to wash dirt away without scratching the paint, and it seems to work well enough.   Otherwise if its going to rain I let the rain wash the dirt off.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »
Otherwise if its going to rain I let the rain wash the dirt off.
I found that with my Volvo. I wasn't doing huge motorway miles and after a while it never got any dirtier. The rain kept it at a reasonable standard. Took it to the car wash before its MOT and that was that.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2018, 11:47:39 AM »
Sorry to pour fuel onto the question of do I or do I not wash my car.
Our previous car was a navy blue. A nice little sea gull did whoopsie on the bonnet. I being 'lazy' left it there.
When I came to wash the car, where the sea gull had performed was a nice hole in the paint. So now I try and keep the car clean and polished, especially as that nice kind Honda main dealer gave me such a good price for the car. What is it about sarcasm?
Another favourite paint eater is that good old cow sh*t. If you do not live or venture into the country it would not be a problem however seagulls seem to be kicking the pigeons out of towns and taking over where the pickings are easier.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2018, 12:00:25 PM »
Sorry to pour fuel onto the question of do I or do I not wash my car.
Our previous car was a navy blue. A nice little sea gull did whoopsie on the bonnet. I being 'lazy' left it there.
When I came to wash the car, where the sea gull had performed was a nice hole in the paint. So now I try and keep the car clean and polished, especially as that nice kind Honda main dealer gave me such a good price for the car. What is it about sarcasm?
Another favourite paint eater is that good old cow sh*t. If you do not live or venture into the country it would not be a problem however seagulls seem to be kicking the pigeons out of towns and taking over where the pickings are easier.

Bird poo is lethal to paint,  and seagull poo is like sulphuric acid and paint stripper mixed together.  One of my habits is to wipe bird poo off the paint as soon as I see it (a pack of cheap hand wipes in the car is useful)  and I have got my wife into the habit of doing the same.   It's the enzymes in the poo that attack paint - don't know if older cellulose paints were better or worse than modern water based acrylics.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2018, 03:01:56 PM »
Matt Neal doesn't seem to wash his Civic very often....

--
TG

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2018, 03:05:51 PM »
I clean bird droppings off the moment I spot them. If nothing else to hand, wet wipes do the trick!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2018, 12:37:41 PM »
Jazzway - interesting few snippets from my recent car change. I paid £9,500 for my 2013 Honda Jazz 1.4 EX Manual in January 2016. I follow a reasonably careful plan of bodywork maintenance washing with the 2 bucket method roughly every two weeks. In spring I use an all in one product like Autoglym Super Resin Polish and top that with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. Every other wash I have been using Autoglym Aqua Wax as a drying aid. Pre winter I just top up the protection. Having run out of Extra Gloss Protection last October I used Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax.

My car looks very shiny. I got a CAP valuation for the car before I thought of trading it in. You won't be familiar with this in Holland but it's basically a guide to trade in values. My car was valued at £6,250 to £6,700 (the higher price being for cars in exceptional condition). I was given £7,000 in part exchange and the dealers have my car on sale for £9,000 which is only £500 less than I paid for it over 2 years ago. I will admit the low mileage was a factor as well.

I think this shows that looking after the bodywork of your car can pay dividends so the effort put into looking after the car's paint job is not always wasted.

I'm beginning to wish I'd sold the car privately!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2018, 03:14:18 PM »
Jazzway - interesting few snippets from my recent car change. I paid £9,500 for my 2013 Honda Jazz 1.4 EX Manual in January 2016. I follow a reasonably careful plan of bodywork maintenance washing with the 2 bucket method roughly every two weeks. In spring I use an all in one product like Autoglym Super Resin Polish and top that with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. Every other wash I have been using Autoglym Aqua Wax as a drying aid. Pre winter I just top up the protection. Having run out of Extra Gloss Protection last October I used Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax.

My car looks very shiny. I got a CAP valuation for the car before I thought of trading it in. You won't be familiar with this in Holland but it's basically a guide to trade in values. My car was valued at £6,250 to £6,700 (the higher price being for cars in exceptional condition). I was given £7,000 in part exchange and the dealers have my car on sale for £9,000 which is only £500 less than I paid for it over 2 years ago. I will admit the low mileage was a factor as well.

I think this shows that looking after the bodywork of your car can pay dividends so the effort put into looking after the car's paint job is not always wasted.

I'm beginning to wish I'd sold the car privately!

Could it be that there is still a good demand for GE Jazz because MK3 is not everybodies cup of tea ?  Personally I went for the last of the 'old shape'  Civics ( 2006 - 11) I could get because I did not like styling of  replacement model, salesman said I could have had a new model for pretty much same price.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:08:26 PM by culzean »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2018, 08:42:42 PM »
I think there is a lot of demand for the Mk2 Jazz. I may have mentioned this some time ago but there are those who think the Mk3 was a backward step. That seems to be reflected in very strong prices for the Mk2.

I've gone automatic this time round and have no regrets about that but the Mk3, looked at in the round, is not a significant improvement. In some ways it has gone backwards - no passenger cupholders, no panoramic roof with the EX and confusing technology (user friendliness has gone out of the window but it's not just Honda here). The radio is much much harder to operate with the cursed "infotainment" screen but we know that these represent cost cutting and not progress.

But I still maintain that the, if I do say so myself, outstanding visual condition of my car had an effect.

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2018, 10:19:35 PM »
Certainly, when it was in for a service last week, the Honda dealer was very, very keen to buy my Mk2.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2018, 10:45:10 PM »
So not just me then. I wonder if resistance to new tech is becoming an issue especially with an older demographic. The dealer I bought my Mk3 from actually has some very late 2015 Mk2s at higher prices than some early Mk3s (low spec admittedly).

Tags: