Author Topic: Wheel compatability  (Read 8920 times)

weeleyboy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz 1.4CVT EX
Re: Wheel compatability
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2018, 09:19:18 AM »
As followers of this topic may be aware I changed the 16" wheels that my 2013 Jazz came with for genuine Honda 15" wheels and I'm glad I did it as the ride/noise levels are much improved. My question is do I have to notify my insurance company of the change as they are genuine Honda parts?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2018, 10:01:06 AM »
As followers of this topic may be aware I changed the 16" wheels that my 2013 Jazz came with for genuine Honda 15" wheels and I'm glad I did it as the ride/noise levels are much improved. My question is do I have to notify my insurance company of the change as they are genuine Honda parts?

No you don't, both the 185/55R16 and 175/65R15 sizes are shown  on vehicle tyre information sticker on driver side 'B' pillar just below door lock anchor point, each size is shown with two speed ratings as well.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7630

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2018, 09:26:15 PM »
Up early tomorrow to swap them over, then out for a spin and see how it goes. I could do with a formula 1 pit crew, 8 off, 8 on, it would only take them a minute or two.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2018, 12:03:45 PM »
My question is do I have to notify my insurance company of the change as they are genuine Honda parts?

If the factory fit and standard wheels are 16" then I think that fitting 15" wheels is a modification, personally I would notify my insurance company.

Several years ago my OH bought a year old Nissan Sunny from a main dealer with alloy wheels unfortunately it was eventually written off, when the insurance inspected it turned out that unbeknown to us the alloys were not standard but had been fitted from new by a different dealer at the request of the original owner.

The insurance paid out without any problems but with a slightly reduced amount.

guest5079

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2018, 12:12:30 PM »
I agree with Hobo. The best policy is to notify ones insurers, in writing Email or letter then you are covered it is up to them then. Insurers are big boys with huge clout and if it comes to paying out many will wriggle at the slightest chance.

guest7630

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2018, 12:58:19 PM »
I was up this morning with the intention of swapping my Civic 15" alloys onto the Jazz, currently 14" inch steels.

I was most disappointed to find the Jazz spigot is a nats winky too big to accept the alloys, I haven't measured them but probably a millimetre bigger than the hole in the wheel.

Darn it (or words to that effect)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2018, 04:03:19 PM »
My question is do I have to notify my insurance company of the change as they are genuine Honda parts?

If the factory fit and standard wheels are 16" then I think that fitting 15" wheels is a modification, personally I would notify my insurance company.

Several years ago my OH bought a year old Nissan Sunny from a main dealer with alloy wheels unfortunately it was eventually written off, when the insurance inspected it turned out that unbeknown to us the alloys were not standard but had been fitted from new by a different dealer at the request of the original owner.

The insurance paid out without any problems but with a slightly reduced amount.

Both sizes of tyre are on the tyre label on B pillar - you are not making a modification.  As long as wheels carry a certification (TUV etc) but as the wheels are from  Honda there won't be a problem (considering some of the shonky aftermarket wheels you can buy and fit to vehicles).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:07:10 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2018, 07:22:32 PM »
[Both sizes of tyre are on the tyre label on B pillar - you are not making a modification. 

weeleyboy ignore this bad advice get clarification from your insurance company don't risk having problems if you have a claim at any time.

It is nothing to do with the size of tyre, if the vehicle leaves the factory with 16" wheels then changing them to 15" is a modification, the insurance needs to be informed otherwise there is a risk that cover could be affected.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 07:46:35 PM by Hobo »

guest5079

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2018, 02:16:39 PM »
At the risk of being repetitive, I agree 100%  with Hobo. Insurance companies can be very picky when paying out and hopefully you will not be involved in a claim BUT if you do anything to your car, a letter or Email to your Insurers will ensure you do not fall into any dispute. As I said it is up to them if they want to 'discount' what you have done, you have covered all the bases.

Fell Viper

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 Jazz EX
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2018, 11:18:14 AM »
Quote from: culzean

If you are replacing 185/55R16 with 195/50R15 you will lose about 20mm on rolling radius, which will put your Speedo 7% fast. That will be in addition to normal 5 or 6% positive error on Jazz, so at indicated 70mph you will probably be doing 60. 

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=185&aspect=55&diameter=16&wheelwidth=6&offset=40&width2=190&aspect2=50&wheel_size=15&wheel_width=6&offset2=40

I am waiting delivery of 15" alloys for her indoors Jazz to replace 16" OEM lumps,  with 175/65R15 tyres there will be no change in rolling radius from 185/55R16 but ride comfort will be much improved.

Thats assuming it was accurate in the first place which it isn’t! 😀

I’m 4mph out on the 15”s

I was 6mph out on the 16”s which is why I suspect that car is naturally supposed to be on 15”s

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2018, 01:21:44 PM »
Quote from: culzean

If you are replacing 185/55R16 with 195/50R15 you will lose about 20mm on rolling radius, which will put your Speedo 7% fast. That will be in addition to normal 5 or 6% positive error on Jazz, so at indicated 70mph you will probably be doing 60. 

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=185&aspect=55&diameter=16&wheelwidth=6&offset=40&width2=190&aspect2=50&wheel_size=15&wheel_width=6&offset2=40

I am waiting delivery of 15" alloys for her indoors Jazz to replace 16" OEM lumps,  with 175/65R15 tyres there will be no change in rolling radius from 185/55R16 but ride comfort will be much improved.

Thats assuming it was accurate in the first place which it isn’t! 😀

I’m 4mph out on the 15”s

I was 6mph out on the 16”s which is why I suspect that car is naturally supposed to be on 15”s

I did say jazz Speedo is normally 5 to 6% out as standard, they are designed to read 'fast' so you don't get a speeding ticket when you are relying on speedo.

Fell Viper

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 Jazz EX
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2018, 12:25:52 PM »
All manufacturers do it to counter any issues raised by the different size wheels they use.  🙂

Tags:

anything