Author Topic: Clicking gearbox  (Read 2276 times)

Jeffyjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se sport
Clicking gearbox
« on: August 20, 2014, 03:49:25 PM »
I have an issue with my Jazz that when I am in 2nd gear and turn left I get a metallic clicking noise

I have read somewhere that its to do with a slide bearing or something in the gearbox not moving properly.  Am I likely to get a catastrophic failure from this. Im due to start a new job and im going to be putting about 18k miles a year onto this poor thing all motorway miles.  I just don't want it to fly apart and Im not really into taking the gearbox off so will it just be fine its been doing it for 3 years so far and not got any worse to be honest I don't go left in 2nd that much!

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Clicking gearbox
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:56:06 PM »
On early Jazz a clicking noise heard when turning left in 2nd gear may be due to the reverse shift holder ball bearing being contaminated and partially seized, causing the reverse idler gear to not return to neutral. Shifting into 2nd gear causes the reverse idler gear to touch the countershaft reverse gear. This problem has been known by Honda since 2002, and resulted a stronger reverse shift holder being fitted to later models. Repairs to early Jazz may be quoted at around £730.

guest4078

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:08:21 AM »
You could change the gearbox oil and stick a tube of molyslip in it. That might help if you are lucky. An easy-ish job to do and not too costly.

Jeffyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se sport
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »
im I right in thinking its a complete gearbox removal or can you take the gear cluster off from the side

I might give the oil and molyslip a go as it cant harm to change the oil anyway

Tags:

anything