Author Topic: Change your battery  (Read 84955 times)

guest5008

Re: Change your battery
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 06:15:49 PM »

The battery on my Jazz died recently recently, used this thread and the Haynes manual and completed the change without any problems.

Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to offer up their advice.

Cheers

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 10:58:06 PM »
I changed the battery on my 60 reg 1.4 EX  I-shift Jazz by just undoing the old battery and replacing with the new one.
Needed to reprogram radio presets and clock time. Otherwise absolutely no problem. Car now runs just as sweet as before.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 11:00:01 PM by stiggysawdust »
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 10:05:39 AM »
I have changed lots of batteries for the past three decades and never had to reload anything  - ever.

I use a plug-into-the-cigarette-lighter battery powered gismo which keeps all settings.

Costs peanuts - saves a load of hassle.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 02:37:45 PM »
I have changed lots of batteries for the past three decades and never had to reload anything  - ever.
I use a plug-into-the-cigarette-lighter battery powered gismo which keeps all settings.
Costs peanuts - saves a load of hassle.

A good idea.  As used by most workshops etc.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 09:27:50 PM »
do you have to put the ignition switch to 'ACC' (first position) because when I try to get power from cigarette lighter socket it is only available with ignition key  turned to first position - so not connected to electrical system unless you do that. .
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 10:38:29 AM »
yes

guest5181

• Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 01:24:31 PM »
 :)  Hello everyone,
I thought I would take the time to register and post my gratitude for the details regarding changing the battery (thanks). The battery on our Jazz (08) was showing signs of age. When I read in the Haynes manual about the possible probs with the power steering I was concerned. Any how after googling and immediately finding this forum I took the decision to just swap the battery myself using the details here and in the Haynes manual. I have replaced numerous batteries before on vehicles, but ones much older with no electronic brains or electric power steering so I had some idea of a few of the steps involved. I am pleased to say that everything is fine... I followed the instructions... just made sure that I had everything to hand in the correct order so that the old battery was disconnected for as short a time as possible before the new one was connected up. I then ran fast idle etc and all is well no warning lights etc, just reset clock and radio stations. Probably saved us some £ as well, rather than taking to dealer. Battery cost me £44.

I would not hesitate to undertake the same again after this experience. Thanks again for your helpful forum and Happy New Year.....

Qamelian

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2011 Jazz 1.4 ES
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2020, 05:25:58 PM »
I know this topic is old but I thought it relevant to reply within it.

I have recently bought a Honda Jazz 2011 and due to the battery not holding its charge (assumption) I replaced with a new one.

Just took old one out (rusty bolt took forever) and disconnected and replaced with new one. All I had to do was re-enter radio code and reset clock and presets and all is good ... so far.

I did go through the 3000rpm routine followed by a good 10 minute plus drive for the ECM. Can't say wether this was beneficial or needed but no harm to do anyway. Drove similar to before so couldn't really tell any difference. It's a new buy too so haven't really got used to the drive I guess.

Anyway, no troubles so I guess (for now) it was fine to change by myself. We'll see if anything comes up.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2020, 06:41:32 PM »
I had the battery changed on my 2006 Mk1 and all I had to do was reset the clock (no radio code needed for the Mk1).
Never did anything else (what is the 3,000 rpm routine?) and the car ran has run fine ever since.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2020, 07:04:09 PM »
I just had a look at my manual, and all it tells me to do after fitting a new battery (or reconnecting the battery) is to wind the driver's window down fully then wind it back up and hold the up button for a full second after it reaches the top. This routine teaches the Auto function.
I didn't do that deliberately but must have done it the first time I opened the window as the Auto works, and I was never aware of it not working.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2020, 04:06:27 PM »
Hi,

A good post, thank you.

I've just replaced the battery on our 2013 1.4 Jazz. After reading this post, decided to just replace and ignore the 3000 rpm malarky. Took the precautions of negative off first and back on last, and made sure I had the new battery ready. Really easy quick swap.

Just had to enter radio code and reset clock time. Everything else works exactly as it did.  :)

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2020, 10:06:58 PM »
Changed the battery on my Mk II and the fuel economy is pretty rubbish, just below 8L/100km, is the IDLE relearn thing needed for the MkII or is it an old wives tale?
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2020, 08:29:32 AM »
Changed the battery on my Mk II and the fuel economy is pretty rubbish, just below 8L/100km, is the IDLE relearn thing needed for the MkII or is it an old wives tale?

Never relearned an ECU on any car,  and changed plenty of batteries,,, All the base parameters required by engine are stored in non-volatile memory safely inside the ECU,  modern ECU are capable of adjusting parameters to suit your driving style and this is stored in volatile memory probably backed up by a capacitor to deal with short power losses,  and after battery change they will relearn ,  but the base parameters were there when car was new and are still there now.  I always prepare everything by taking off battery clamp and moving anything out of the way - slackening off battery terminals ready for the quickest possible changeover, but last few time I have used a home-made cigarette lighter power lead with 20 metres of twin speaker cable and two cigarette lighter plugs - you need a second vehicle or 12 volt battery  ( watch the polarity - centre prong is +,  which is where the stripe on speaker wires comes in ).  Turn ignition to first position on both vehicles to connect cigarette lighter power main car power and you can take all day to change battery if you like.

you can use one cigarette lighter plug and a spare battery to do same job, just need a pair of red and black crocodile clips on other end of the lead.

EDIT - Have attached photo of home made battery change kit - to be honest it does not need to be heavy duty speaker cable as shown, as it is only carrying a few amps ( unless you have heated screens, mirrors, headlights etc turned on in car you are changing battery on... I turn everything off to reduce current required from donor car.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 12:43:06 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2020, 11:59:52 AM »

I changed my 2012 Jazz battery this year. Used a battery saver to hold all data.
Drives as it did before.

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2020, 12:14:34 PM »
Whilst I have had no problems changing car batteries on various cars, can those who have had to change their battery on a Jazz let us all know what their experience has been?

I've done it multiple times for different reasons on two different Jazzes, no problems whatsoever except locked audio unit and wiped settings. Both of them were left for extended periods of time without battery too.
I think it may differ gen to gen as I have noticed people report different things. FWIW the ones I did were 2010 and 2011 1.4 EX Manual models

Tags: