Author Topic: Low mileage service  (Read 1319 times)

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
Low mileage service
« on: August 04, 2020, 02:52:25 PM »
My Mk3 (CVT) Jazz will soon be due for its 5th service but because of Covid and my own, unrelated,  health problems I have done less than 1000miles in this service period.
Do I still have to have the same ,interim?, service ?

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Low mileage service
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 03:00:25 PM »
I am having the same thoughts with my car.
I think I will just have the mot, that should pick up any problems.
Oil and filter will be fine. What else do they do on a service that a mot won't find?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 03:18:14 PM »
If the car is under warranty then you do need the service to maintain it but your car is out of warranty.

I think I might be tempted, in these circs to have the MOT plus an oil and filter change. I think it's a good idea to change the oil at 12 month intervals even if the mileage is very low.

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 03:51:35 PM »
If the car is under warranty then you do need the service to maintain it but your car is out of warranty.

I think I might be tempted, in these circs to have the MOT plus an oil and filter change. I think it's a good idea to change the oil at 12 month intervals even if the mileage is very low.

Good advice, for the small cost an oil and filter change is the most important part as the oil may be affected by condensation. The other parts are more mileage related and likely to last until the next service date.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 04:08:07 PM »
Short trips and low annual mileage are hard on oil... change oil every 12 months irrespective of low miles,  I leave my filter on for two oil changes these days,  it actually says in my motorbike handbook that filter replacement every other oil change is OK.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 05:16:42 PM »
Book says to change the oil every 6,250 miles, but I change mine at 12,000 miles (perhaps this is why I seem to be the only one who has to add oil between services). If I don't do a lot of miles I change the oil after 12 months, though it has been a number of years since that has happened.

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 05:17:41 PM »

My service and MOT are different dates

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 12:32:12 AM »
if it was my car seeing as its out of warranty i would leave it till the mot and then do the service and mot at the same time

Gzbev

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 10:27:54 PM »
National Tyres do an oil and filter service for a MK3 for 55.65, there is an online voucher for £5 off all year round.

Mot is £27 if you sign up to their reminder service.

£77.65 for an Mot and service using Lukoil, which is decent. I would make sure they use 0w 20 though.

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 10:30:20 AM »
You mentioned it is a CVT model, this needs gearbox oil changing every 2 years which is a worthwhile precaution to keep it running well. The engine oil change and filter could be done as part of an MOT and general inspection of brakes but those likely to have little wear based on that mileage.

Tags:

anything