Author Topic: Jazz mk2 to mk3  (Read 2764 times)

trevg

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 honda jazz ex
Jazz mk2 to mk3
« on: April 23, 2019, 08:53:49 PM »
Thinking of changing my mk2 si to a mk3 ex. Anybody got any thoughts on the mk3 jazz

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Jazz mk2 to mk3
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 08:57:42 PM »
I like my ex.
The only downside is the Anderson cycle.
But you get used to it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 09:16:31 PM »
I like my ex.
But you get used to it.

Or even Atkinson cycle  :-X ( well a version of it, the proper Atkinson cycle had loads of mechanical bits to alter the throw of the crank to reduce compression ratio, most companies like Honda and Toyota use a ' pseudo Atkinson cycle ' by controlling valve opening times and change of fuel injection timing to achieve lower CR ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 09:33:15 PM »
Yep
Knew it wasn't right when I wrote it.
Oh well

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 07:39:36 AM »
I loved the loaner I had while my airbags were renewed. I wasn't aware of any lack of oomph. I suppose it depends on your driving style.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 09:52:04 AM »
Certainly no lack 'oomph' when you know how to drive it, enough to surprise one or two boy racers, who think this is an old duffers car.
Yes, there can be times when the Atkinson cycle appears to work against you, but this can easily be overcome if necessary by a quick flick of the paddles.
Certainly when my average consumption over 26000 miles is virtually 50 mpg, then i can live with that :D

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 11:33:41 AM »
Never owned a mk2 so I can’t tell you the difference but I’ve had a manual and now a cvt mk3 and the Atkinson cycle only made it’s self known in the manual version sometimes found it difficult getting off the line due to practically zero power below 2000 revs the cvt cures this problem and it is a pleasure to drive I find no lack of power if you put your foot down the revs rise instantly and avoids any Atkinson low power mode

Things that annoy me are mainly the fancy gadgets the main ones being auto start stop (I always turn it off) auto windscreen wipers never seem to get it right and auto high beam that on a particular dual carriageway I use flashes oncoming traffic along the entire length due to the central barrier intermittently blocking line of sight

I like the ease of driving the seating position and the practicality and they’re well put together neither of my Jazz’s have developed any rattles etc which I can’t say for the previous cars I’ve owned

trevg

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 honda jazz ex
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 10:03:16 AM »
thanks for all your input

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 11:24:05 AM »
Yes the revs do rise instantly, however there is a delay in take up.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 03:42:18 PM »
But you get used to it.
Alternatively consider the Jazz Sport. Pricing is similar to the EX. The Sport lacks some of the EX's features but this is offset by the more capable engine which gives a more relaxed drive.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 04:10:48 PM »
Yes the revs do rise instantly, however there is a delay in take up.
I’ve never noticed any delay.  The cvt gearbox never feels like it’s got a direct connection to the engine you always get that slippy clutch feeing which could make it feel like any delay is worse than it is plus going by previous comments the mk3 facelift has been improved to make the Atkinson cycle less noticeable

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 05:40:30 PM »
Having read this post earlier today, thought when i went out this afternoon I would do one or two tests, relating to the so-called delay in the CVT drive, as highlighted by 'Coffeecup'
As far as i can tell, when you plant your foot on the accelerator, the revs rise instantly and car moves immediately.
Like 'Ralph' I believe there is No delay.
Any hesitation due to the Atkinson cycle is masked and compensated for by the CVT.

As I said in a previous post, the car can certainly be made to move, when wanted, enough to surprise some boy racers!
However, I can well understand why some, driving a manual car, may experience flat spots in the performance, which require a change down to overcome.

Whilst I have never driven a Mk1 car, I've had 2 Mk2s (both autos, the first with the dreaded I-shift), and currently the Mk3. For me each upgrade has been for the better. How anyone can prefer the I-shift over the CVT is beyond me, but of course it's all down to personal choice.

beerbelly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC 2019
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 02:24:54 AM »
Hello

The 2019 updated version with a manual gearbox is my first Honda Jazz.

I feel that the Honda i-VTEC engine is so smooth and nice to operate.
Yes, it needs some revs and shifting but thats only funny for a "granny" like me  ;D. I think the engineers has been working on the latest version.
It is rock solid compared to other small cars i have driven and there is plenty of horsepower for my daily use.

There is so much good information here on this site.
 I like the new Jazz.

Cheers from Copenhagen

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »
Hello

The 2019 updated version with a manual gearbox is my first Honda Jazz.

I feel that the Honda i-VTEC engine is so smooth and nice to operate.
Yes, it needs some revs and shifting but thats only funny for a "granny" like me  ;D. I think the engineers has been working on the latest version.
It is rock solid compared to other small cars i have driven and there is plenty of horsepower for my daily use.

There is so much good information here on this site.
 I like the new Jazz.

Cheers from Copenhagen

The problem with forums is you get lots of moans, often about silly things - its nice to see some posts with positive experience, thank you !

I find my wifes Jazz MK2 pretty nice to drive and don't mind having to move my left foot and left arm to change gear either, may save me getting deep vein thrombosis or falling asleep when I am driving.

When you think about it a car is a very complicated thing that is expected to be all things to all people,  and the majority of them don't know and care even less about how it works ( as long as it keeps on working ), some people moan when the slightest thing does not suit them,  but majority accept that everything in life is a compromise..

Enjoy your new car..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 10:39:21 AM »
I wasn't a fan of the Jazz and only considered  it for the combination of reliability and practicality. Then I drove a Mk1 and loved how nippy it was. I haven't driven any others (aside from the one I bought, of course) but I've been driven in a Mk3 CVT and it seemed so much more refined. Never had an automatic but I'm tempted by a CVT if and when funds allow.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Tags: