Author Topic: Power Line Adapters - advice on a new proposed connection please.  (Read 1186 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
I know there are some very clever people on this forum! I am not one of those and I am seeking advice.

We have our router in one room and the TV and set top box in another - TalkTalk, whose box it is, installed the power line adapters when we took the service from them and very good they have been too. Faultless signal.

Now both power line adapters have 2 ethernet ports. Currently, the bottom port in each adapter is being used.

We are shortly to get a smart TV. We want to use some of the Apps on the TV that the set top box doesn't have so this is what I propose:

In the router room, connect the router using another LAN port to the power line adapter in that room. In the TV room, connect the new smart TV to the powerline adapter using the currently unused ethernet port.

Will this work? Will I damage anything? I might be overcomplicating things but I can't get an answer from anybody else.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
Re: Power Line Adapters - advice on a new proposed connection please.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 03:16:08 PM »
Hi

Usually smart tv has Wi-Fi. If so, use Wi-Fi if good signal

Without knowing more, I suspect your idea would not work as usually a pair of powerline adaptors is for 1 connection

You could buy a small 5 port hub and use that before it goes into you TT box or buy another pair of power line adaptors

Many thanks

John

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 03:30:04 PM »
The newer TalkTalk powerline adapters have two seperate ethernet ports on the remote unit, so it should work fine if that's what you have.

Are yours the tall D-Link ones with the 3 pin socket on the front and the two yellow ethernet ports on the side? If so, these have two fully functional ethernet ports.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:44:40 PM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 03:31:54 PM »
I suspect that the second port is just linked to first port, so on the adaptor with the incoming talk talk signal you can take a cable from second port to another device in same room, and the signal from talk talk will get passed via power line adaptor to a paired power line adaptor on same mains power circuit as usual and to another device that is plugged into it, and if you have a second device that needs a signal in that room you could plug another LAN RJ45 cable. You can get power line adaptors now with 3 or more ports,  I guess it is to save having the spaghetti that goes with a hub.

Have you looked on talk talk user forum, there are normally loads of answers, we are with plusnet now ( ditched virgin) and their forum is excellent.

I certainly don't think you will overload anything as an RJ45 port is there to have a cable plugged in,  I doubt you will notice any signal degradation with two devices sharing a power line adaptor, as TV only needs around 2mbs to show hd ( well that is what Netflix say ) .  You can also run multiple power line adaptor circuits with your house by pairing different devices.

I love power line adaptors, so easy and neat.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:50:14 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 05:34:40 PM »
Thanks for the answers thus far. I've tried Amazon Prime on the TV set's wifi and the signal is much better than I'd hoped or been led to believe given they are in different rooms but I have fibre broadband so maybe a better signal from my broadband than non fibre.

If I find the signal drops out or is unstable I'll do the link up with the ethernet cables. Totally agree with Culzean. Power Line Adapters are pretty damn good.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 06:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the answers thus far. I've tried Amazon Prime on the TV set's wifi and the signal is much better than I'd hoped or been led to believe given they are in different rooms but I have fibre broadband so maybe a better signal from my broadband than non fibre.

If I find the signal drops out or is unstable I'll do the link up with the ethernet cables. Totally agree with Culzean. Power Line Adapters are pretty damn good.

We used to have fibre to the premises ( FTTP ) with Virgin at 100Mbs download and about 2Mbs upload but they got way too expensive,  now with Plusnet since last September and using phone line, but getting 70Mbs download and 17Mbs upload,  have not noticed any drop in speed or quality by going back to 'old tech' copper connection,  in fact the Plusnet modem has never needed re-booting since installation ( wish I could have said the same for virgin which regularly went AWOL ) and have done speed test at different times of day and speed has hardly varied.  The Plusnet modem downstairs has Wi-Fi built in 2,4 and 5 GHz,  and I use powerline adaptors with integral wifi extender ( also 2.4 and 5 GHz) to get good wifi upstairs ( TP-Link AV1000 Gigabit - TL-WPA7510 )

I used wifi to our TV for a while,  and also to Humax Freesat box and had no problem with lag or spooling and picture quality great.

You can always ask Talk-Talk for another powerline adaptor and plug it into another socket in same room as modem / router - or if your router has wifi you can get a wifi to usb adaptor for the TV
https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/tv-wifi-adaptor/bn_7024746111
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:28:59 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything