Author Topic: Magic Dog Bed  (Read 1929 times)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Magic Dog Bed
« on: February 28, 2019, 09:42:45 AM »
One for any dog lovers. When I started looking for a cheaper car to run last year the Jazz wasn't top of my list, until I discovered the magic seats. So much better for my large and elderly dog I thought.

Naturally she gets pampered shamelessly so I made a bed for the rear floor from some sofa seat cushions cut to size and covered in a old rear seat cover I had. You'll see from the photo a second seat cover hangs from the front headrests, that both keeps the seat backs clean and contains smaller dogs in the back. I've since covered it with a fleece blanket. The original was too slippery. Also it's quite good for wet and muddy hounds. Easily removed for washing.

The result has been a great success. Very easy to get in and out for them. Being low the dogs (I've had up to three - two lab sized plus a little 'un) are undisturbed by the outside world.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:58:40 AM by springswood »
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
Re: Magic Dog Bed
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 10:00:48 AM »
PS In my experimenting I did come up with a small bed for use with one seat down but so far haven't put it tot the test.

Njazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 SE Sport
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 10:25:23 AM »
Do you use a dog car lead that plugs into the seat belt clips?

Only reason I ask is I recently saw information about if you don’t correctly restrain your dog you could get fined up to £2,500, 9 points on your license, and it can make your insurance invalid.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 01:26:03 PM »
Yes I've got a clip and harness and the seat-belt buckles are accessible with the seats up.

Thanks for the warning. I looked into it and this seemed a good summary
https://www.themotoringlaw.uk/driving-with-dogs/

The point for me is that my dog isn't very mobile and at 30kg I can't easily lift her into a boot or onto a back seat, but she can still get into the Jazz with a little help. And I can get in to help her out if need be!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:02:03 PM by springswood »

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 09:25:11 PM »
Do you use a dog car lead that plugs into the seat belt clips?

Only reason I ask is I recently saw information about if you don’t correctly restrain your dog you could get fined up to £2,500, 9 points on your license, and it can make your insurance invalid.

Hmmm...in theory it's up to £5K, the maximum penalty for careless driving.  But it's a bit of a scare story.

Pauste9570

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk1
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 05:40:04 PM »
One for any dog lovers.

We also have Honda Jazz as "dog carrier"...love the seats. We have Basset fauve de Bretagne, not the biggest dog in the world, but we fit inside the Jazz: 2 bikes, dog, my 2 sons (age 10 and 6), 2 adults...everyone has seatbelt and enough room for safe trip to woods...just AMAZING

Not possible with my BMW

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 12:23:41 PM »
That is impressive.