Author Topic: From Jazz SE 1.3 to Jazz Sport 1.5  (Read 4186 times)

SamJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
From Jazz SE 1.3 to Jazz Sport 1.5
« on: December 01, 2018, 09:46:14 PM »
Has anyone had experience of owning at different times the SE 1.3 Manual & Sport 1.5 Manual

I'm in the process of looking to change my 2016 SE as the PCP deal is nearing its end and there are good offers on the Sport 1.5 at present.

Just wondering how the running costs compare such as MPG, Insurance Cost increase maybe. No almost three years of ownership my 1.3SE has averaged 54.1MPG, I would guess that approx 80% of driving has been done on Urban roads.

Also was the additional power noticeable, any any other noticeable changes.

Many thanks.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:50:35 PM by SamJazz »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: From Jazz SE 1.3 to Jazz Sport 1.5
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 09:53:15 PM »
Skyrider is the man to answer your questions, he seems very taken with his 1.5 sport.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 07:20:39 AM »
In the grand scheme of things the increased costs are minimal, you don't buy a 1.5 if you count every penny and drip of fuel. Do you feel the extra power, oh yes, it is a very different drive to the 1.3, quick off the mark from a standstill as it does not have the Atkinson economy cycle and the extra 30 BHP certainly helps. The facelift modifications to the bodyshell (stiffer) and reworked suspension and steering makes it handle better and feel more "planted" on the road. Even if you are in pottering mode it is a nicer car to drive.

Would I go back to a 1.3? No chance!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 07:25:38 AM by Skyrider »

SamJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 09:59:02 AM »
In the grand scheme of things the increased costs are minimal, you don't buy a 1.5 if you count every penny and drip of fuel. Do you feel the extra power, oh yes, it is a very different drive to the 1.3, quick off the mark from a standstill as it does not have the Atkinson economy cycle and the extra 30 BHP certainly helps. The facelift modifications to the bodyshell (stiffer) and reworked suspension and steering makes it handle better and feel more "planted" on the road. Even if you are in pottering mode it is a nicer car to drive.

This sounds very positive and I'm just reading up on the Atkinson Economy Cycle now which is interesting too. There's a 0% finance deal on at present, I've about 3 months left on my existing PCP deal so I'm considering changing a little early in order to benefit from the current offer. I will ask for a test drive first, it will be interesting to look out for the improvements you've mentioned, many thanks.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 12:33:26 PM »
Just wondering how the running costs compare such as MPG, Insurance Cost increase maybe. No almost three years of ownership my 1.3SE has averaged 54.1MPG, I would guess that approx 80% of driving has been done on Urban roads.
Your 3 year average of 54 mpg is very good for urban driving.  Is that from the computer or actual fuel purchased?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 01:00:28 PM »
Just wondered that myself. I would, indeed did, struggle to get over 40 mpg (actual) in my manual Mk2 which did around 75% of its motoring in busy urban settings. My average journey was very short though.

SamJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 03:19:46 PM »
Your 3 year average of 54 mpg is very good for urban driving.  Is that from the computer or actual fuel purchased?
This figure is from the cars computer, it's more economical than my MK2 which I owned for 3 years. Not sure how accurate the computer is though.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 03:40:45 PM »
From my experience, also over three years, I would expect the true figure to be 8-10% worse, i.e. around 50 mpg.  Still good going for urban driving though.  You must have a light right foot, so perhaps you don't need the 1.5 engine...…..

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 05:50:07 PM »
From my experience, also over three years, I would expect the true figure to be 8-10% worse, i.e. around 50 mpg.  Still good going for urban driving though.  You must have a light right foot, so perhaps you don't need the 1.5 engine...…..
Most people probably don't. In my experience most people don't use what they have. I've out accelerated 3 litre BMWs in my 1.3 litre Jazz because they barely press the accelerator when I always press mine at least half way down.

At ~3,000rpm Atkinson doesn't get a look-in and you'll leave most motorists behind. Meanwhile I've never known less than 51mpg from my 1.3 although I don't know what the annual average is.

SamJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 07:57:41 PM »

The 1.3SE I own is perfectly adequate for me, if the 0% finance deal was on an SE, I would be opting for another 1.3. My PCP deal runs out by mid March so I may wait a little longer and see what other deals are about.
The cost of motoring these days is making me consider that the 1.3 will be more economical than a 1.5 and possibly cheaper to insure.

I've looked at other brands, including city cars which initially look like good deals but then when I want one that has air con and a little bit better than the basic spec, the price increases.  E.g VW Up and  Skoda City Go approx £140pcm for a spec that I would like.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 11:22:45 AM »
Hi.
If you needed any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

SamJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 08:04:58 PM »
I bought a full size spare wheel from Cox Auto Parts for my 2016 Jazz SE about 3 years ago.

Will this fit a 2018 Jazz Sport or 2018 SE.

Thanks.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 08:08:32 PM »
The same sized spare fits both 16" and 17" wheel fitted cars. The different profile tyres give the same rolling circumference.

SamJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 08:40:31 PM »
The same sized spare fits both 16" and 17" wheel fitted cars. The different profile tyres give the same rolling circumference.

Ok thanks that's reassuring to know. Next car will probably be a used 2018 SE although there's a good offer on a new Sport I'm considering. I've looked at other brands of cars, but nothing has persuaded me so for to consider anything else other than a Jazz.

Thanks again.

Jackspratt

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid 2012
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 08:45:40 PM »

I agree with everything Skyrider has posted above 😁

Tags: