Author Topic: No power to driver's side mirror  (Read 2872 times)

PaulHrt

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2008 1.4 se
No power to driver's side mirror
« on: November 14, 2018, 03:46:28 PM »
Hi fellow Jazz owners. I have just bought my first Jazz and the driver side electric mirror appears to have no power to it, the mirror does not move and the indicator is not working. The passenger mirror is fine. Also, the driver's mirror assembly is much looser than the passenger one.
Does the driver mirror have its own fuse, I can't see it listed in the manual. I suspect that there may be loose connection in the circuit but I wonder if any other members have had this problem.
Any help would be appreciated,
Cheers Paul

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: No power to driver's side mirror
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 03:59:29 PM »
There is an electrical connector in the door which for some reason or other may have become disconnected. To gain access you need to remove the door inner panel and the plastic sheet under it.
Did you buy the car from a dealer,is there a guarantee? In any case they are obliged to attend to any faults not attributable to fair wear and tear that occur within six months of purchase, Sale of Goods Act or whatever it is now called.

Vic.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:04:56 PM by VicW »

PaulHrt

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 05:49:02 PM »
There is an electrical connector in the door which for some reason or other may have become disconnected. To gain access you need to remove the door inner panel and the plastic sheet under it.
Did you buy the car from a dealer,is there a guarantee? In any case they are obliged to attend to any faults not attributable to fair wear and tear that occur within six months of purchase, Sale of Goods Act or whatever it is now called.

Vic.
Hi Vic thanks for the info. Didn't buy it from a dealer and to be fair the seller did point it out. It isn't a major issue because I can adjust the mirror manually but would like to sort it out so I will follow your advice and check the connection when I get time.
Cheers

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

guest8057

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 11:13:50 PM »
Its possible that mirror has been recently replaced (hence loose) and suffers from having the wrong wiring standard. I've just replaced the drivers outside mirror on my Australian G3 with one that LOOKS identical, including the right colour and positioning of the wires (plus an extra two wires for the heater which we don't use here - see my post nearby).

The plug inside the door panel connected fine but the light didn't work until I crossed two of the wires to opposite colours. Now the light works but when I press UP the mirror turns RIGHT and LEFT turns it DOWN and so on. They may have just left it unplugged rather than present you with these issues. At the least, tighten the three nuts (10mm deep socket) before the mirror wiggles loose and hangs off the car, easy to do. Good luck with it.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 08:25:54 AM »
You may find this online manual useful. It has wiring diagrams and tests. Somewhere else on the site describes how to remove the door card. Good luck.

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/body_navigation_mirrors.html
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

PaulHrt

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 09:32:52 PM »
Its possible that mirror has been recently replaced (hence loose) and suffers from having the wrong wiring standard. I've just replaced the drivers outside mirror on my Australian G3 with one that LOOKS identical, including the right colour and positioning of the wires (plus an extra two wires for the heater which we don't use here - see my post nearby).

The plug inside the door panel connected fine but the light didn't work until I crossed two of the wires to opposite colours. Now the light works but when I press UP the mirror turns RIGHT and LEFT turns it DOWN and so on. They may have just left it unplugged rather than present you with these issues. At the least, tighten the three nuts (10mm deep socket) before the mirror wiggles loose and hangs off the car, easy to do. Good luck with it.
You may find this online manual useful. It has wiring diagrams and tests. Somewhere else on the site describes how to remove the door card. Good luck.

Thanks for the info
Cheers

PaulHrt

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 09:36:35 PM »

Thanks for the info
Cheers

Thanks for that, I will check it out once I remove the door card, is that where the 3 bolts are you mention?
Cheers

guest8057

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 11:30:13 PM »
See online for pics / video but it's easy to remove the door card - starting with the door opener surround (rotate and release the plastic clip securing the pull rod) then the plastic strip below the electrical switches (a few small phillips screws and several push/pull clips beginning with the FRONT clips).

After that three or four large phillips screws and lots more clips to get the actual door card off. Then towards the front of the door there are three large round holes, through which you'll see the nuts which secure the mirror (the front-most one of which is covered with a plastic plug). DON'T drop one (like I did) because it's a b*tch to fish them out of the very bottom of the door, behind the plastic sheet, the edges of which are covered with gorilla poo).

PaulHrt

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 01:24:12 PM »

Thanks for the info
Cheers

Thanks for that, I will check it out once I remove the door card, is that where the 3 bolts are you mention?
Cheers

Hi, having inspected the mirror more closely I have discovered that the mirror stem is black whereas the other mirror's stem is blue like the car. You may well be right regarding the wiring because the mirror has obviously been replaced at some point. I have also found out the slight play in the mirror structure is between the mirror and the stem, not the mirror and the door.

PaulHrt

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 11:50:24 AM »
Hi, I have finally taken off the door card and discovered the problem, the mirror wiring is not connected to the wiring inside the door. To make matters worse, there is no connector on the end of the mirror wiring! I have added photos of the mirror wiring and the door card socket. A couple of questions, can you buy the white connector for the end of the wiring from the mirror and if so how do you work out which wire goes where (the colours of the mirror are totally different to those of the socket). I think it might be easier just to buy a replacement mirror with the correct connector but am happy to be wrong.
Cheers Paul

Tags: