Author Topic: Auto Idle Stop - noise on coming to a stop.  (Read 2084 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Auto Idle Stop - noise on coming to a stop.
« on: July 17, 2018, 11:42:18 AM »
Just wondering if anybody else with a Mk3 CVT has this issue with the auto idle stop system. I get a slight noise that sounds a bit like a brake noise as you come to a halt. A creaky squeak is the best way I can describe it.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Auto Idle Stop - noise on coming to a stop.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 02:30:34 PM »
I don't hear anything. The car just gets quieter.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »
Think I might have a problem then. I did read, but not sure if on this forum, that faulty engine mountings can be an issue on this particular model. Somebody had it done under warranty. Wish I could find the post.

I must admit it sounds more brake like. There's no vibration as such.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 04:04:06 PM »
If you are using the brake pedal gently to control the start stop system the CVT will be pushing against the brakes, this very low speed creep against the brakes may cause a split second noise from the brakes as the car stops. You may be able to produce the noise by very slowly easing off the brakes in drive, this may cause the noise as the car starts to move if it is the brakes.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:11:52 PM by Skyrider »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 04:37:41 PM »
If you are using the brake pedal gently to control the start stop system the CVT will be pushing against the brakes, this very low speed creep against the brakes may cause a split second noise from the brakes as the car stops. You may be able to produce the noise by very slowly easing off the brakes in drive, this may cause the noise as the car starts to move if it is the brakes.

Another thought, if it is the brakes it may be brake temperature dependent. I have just been sent on a short errand by Mrs Sky, I know my brakes were warm and I had no sound from them. I think I have heard this brief creaking or groaning sound when my brakes have been cold.

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 05:24:53 PM »
I had the same kind of noise just as it came to a stop for the first few hundred miles when I got my new jazz just as I was about to take it back to the dealer it went away and is now silent it was definitely the brakes as it was doing it with the start stop on or off

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 07:10:09 PM »
Think I might have a problem then. I did read, but not sure if on this forum, that faulty engine mountings can be an issue on this particular model. Somebody had it done under warranty. Wish I could find the post.
That'll be me. Don't think it's relevant to your problem though, it's a creak or groan when lifting the clutch (manual transmission, not CVT) to move off.
(Since you ask, transmission mount was replaced under warranty last year, problem has recurred this year, dealer has swapped the mount for one from another car known not to have the problem and I'm waiting to see if it recurs.)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 08:12:26 AM »
One thing you could try if the noise persists is press the brake pedal hard with the car stopped and with the engine running, traffic light waits are ideal. This takes up any slight play in the calipers and pads. I do this occasionally, if you are a light brake user it can adjust the handbrake (if it is off) and improve the brake feel. The brakes will feel a bit sharper after this, it is how the brakes are "adjusted" during a service.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:17:43 AM by Skyrider »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 08:39:54 PM »

Another thought, if it is the brakes it may be brake temperature dependent. I have just been sent on a short errand by Mrs Sky, I know my brakes were warm and I had no sound from them. I think I have heard this brief creaking or groaning sound when my brakes have been cold.

I have just been out with stone cold brakes, there was a brief noise on the first stop but none after the first stop.

Tags: