Author Topic: Fob battery replacement: spoon feeding required.  (Read 1863 times)

desthemoaner

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC ES
Fob battery replacement: spoon feeding required.
« on: July 14, 2018, 10:36:05 AM »
My key fob has started working intermittently, so I've purchased new batteries and intend to fit one of them as soon as possible.

Kind of embarrassed to admit this because I have a pretty comprehensive tool collection, but even my smallest drivers don't fit this particular fob screw. I've tried a spectacle repair set but the tools are too short to get any leverage, and of such poor quality that the driver head starts to bend if you apply any oomph.

Just wondering whether anyone can advise where I can get an appropriate driver to do this particular job? Like the disc screws, it appears not to be a true Phillips fitting but the flatter, Japanese OE variety.

Thanks in advance.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Fob battery replacement: spoon feeding required.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 11:03:30 AM »
Got mine from a good hardware store.
At least you can try the screwdriver and make sure it fits rather than buying on line.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 11:51:34 AM »
You need to get a mobile phone / computer screwdriver set, they have all the smaller sizes. Get CK or other quality brand.

I have a set with PH000 ( PH03),  PH00 (PH02) and PH0 (Philips) and flat 1.4, 2.0, 2.4, and 3.0mm and they have served me very well over many years on all sorts of fiddly jobs on computers, phones, satnavs - and keyfob battery changing duties........  get the ones with a freely rotating top as they are easier to use.

https://www.pbswisstools.com/en/news/detail/phillips-and-pozidriv-cross-head-screws-explained-in-simple-terms/

Interestingly it says Philips drivers can be used on Pozi screws ( a bit sloppy fit sometimes though),  but not the other way around.

I thought my fob battery was bad as intermittent operation,  but I found one of the springy contacts on the printed circuit board in one of my fobs had flattened a bit (not the ones actually touching the battery but the ones to the side which pass battery power to a gold plated pad on PC board) - that was a Civic fob but IIRC the Jazz is the same Valeo design.   I changed the battery anyway as it had been in for a few years.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:15:37 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

desthemoaner

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »
Many thanks again.
The fob is working OK at present, but I'll acquire an appropriate set of drivers and change it as soon as practicable rather than avoid the issue and swap to the second key.

desthemoaner

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 04:08:48 PM »
All done.
Got a nice little 45 piece screwdriver set from Ebay for just over a fiver. Brand name is Splinktech, which sounds distinctly uninspiring but it'll be ideal for occasional use. For future reference, the driver that fitted the fob screw was the 1.5 Philips.

Tags: