Author Topic: Technical difference with the latest Mk 3 Jazz  (Read 9997 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Technical difference with the latest Mk 3 Jazz
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »
I indicate whether there is anyone to see me or not. If anyone sees my signal (pedestrian, driver in a parked car about to pull out, other motorist) then it has not been wasted. I no one sees it then it is like the tree that falls in the wood (If no one sees it, does it make a sound?). The instructor on my PCV trained advocated that, as did the driving instructor who carried out my assessment a few weeks back.
The only time I do not signal is when returning to my own lane after overtaking. Again something I was taught on my PCV training. The Highway Code says you drive on the left so there is no need to signal. It is a given. The only exception is, if you have a Beemer or the like, right up your chuff, then I signal, to put him off undertaking as I allow space in front of the vehicle I have just overtaken.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2018, 10:44:38 AM »
Ah the beamer driver!!!!
A complete law unto themselves.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2018, 11:03:08 AM »
Thank you for pulling this all together andruec.  I think the salient point is about advanced drivers and the problem is that most drivers think they are above average, or even advanced.  I consider myself as below average so that mathematically, some of you can be above average.

I wasn't advocating not checking your surroundings etc. but the plain truth is that somewhen you will miss seeing something.  That is when you are likely to cause a crash (no such thing as accidents) and I think indicating may just avoid that.
Agreed, I also hate the term 'accident'. The vast majority of crashes are not accidents - they are the result of (mostly) poor driver decisions and to a lesser extent poor road design. This whole 'don't indicate if..' is poorly presented. It's not a rule, more a corollary that's all. If you are sure that no-one needs to know then you don't do it. Same as if you are sure it's not going to rain you don't take an umbrella.

On the subject of indicating though one of my pet peeves is people who don't indicate when leaving a roundabout and worst of all continue their initial indication because they are too lazy to cancel it. You can usually tell if someone is going to leave at an exit but it's only a fool would assume they were so all too often I have to wait to be sure. To me that's a symptom of automatic indicating. If they indicated in response to conditions they'd realise they needed to switch from right to left indication as they approached their exit because they'd see me waiting or approaching.

One of the reasons I still love driving is because I allow it to take up all my attention. There is too much going on for me ever to be bored and anything else in my life takes a back seat. I've often said that when I get behind a wheel I cease being Andrue. I become a driver and until I reach my destination that's what I am. Nothing else is relevant except what I'm doing, going to do and the same about everyone else on the roads or near to them.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 11:09:53 AM by andruec »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2018, 11:30:26 AM »
Thank you for pulling this all together andruec.  I think the salient point is about advanced drivers and the problem is that most drivers think they are above average, or even advanced.  I consider myself as below average so that mathematically, some of you can be above average.

I wasn't advocating not checking your surroundings etc. but the plain truth is that somewhen you will miss seeing something.  That is when you are likely to cause a crash (no such thing as accidents) and I think indicating may just avoid that.
Agreed, I also hate the term 'accident'. The vast majority of crashes are not accidents - they are the result of (mostly) poor driver decisions and to a lesser extent poor road design. This whole 'don't indicate if..' is poorly presented. It's not a rule, more a corollary that's all. If you are sure that no-one needs to know then you don't do it. Same as if you are sure it's not going to rain you don't take an umbrella.

On the subject of indicating though one of my pet peeves is people who don't indicate when leaving a roundabout and worst of all continue their initial indication because they are too lazy to cancel it. You can usually tell if someone is going to leave at an exit but it's only a fool would assume they were so all too often I have to wait to be sure. To me that's a symptom of automatic indicating. If they indicated in response to conditions they'd realise they needed to switch from right to left indication as they approached their exit.

I have found that 'over-indicating' can cause problems as well,  on larger islands I used to indicate when I was going around an island and ( obviously when leaving,  if there was anyone waiting who could be helped by my signals).  I got fed up of number of times people cut onto islands in front of me and then caught up and 'got inside of me' so that I had a problem when I wanted to leave, now I only indicate before leaving and people tend not to cut in.   Being a motorcycle rider I have eyes up my ar5e (you have to) and am well aware of what traffic is around and what it is doing.   Many motorcycle accidents happen because it is harder to judge the speed of an oncoming bike, and they can gather speed at a phenomenal rate (and yes often they go too fast in the wrong circumstances).

I have noticed some lorries indicate and then just pull out even though you are alongside, I think 'professional drivers' can be pretty pushy just plain ignorant sometimes - I have a friend and his son took  HGV training, the instructors words were 'ignore cars and most smaller vehicles 'they will get out of your way' - and that was an instructor speaking  :o

I am very wary of indicators anyway, I never pull out unless I am seeing the car slow down and start the turn,  been almost caught a few times by either indicators left on or maybe on for a turn just after the one I am waiting at at and someone indicated early.

Everyone should ride a PTW at some time,  sharpens your road sense to get out of the old fug box sometimes and feel vulnerable instead of safe in a cage.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2018, 12:14:01 PM »
My years riding a bike taught me a great deal. Every road surface looks the same sitting in a car. As a biker you soon realise they are not.
Personally, and I know most people would disagree with me here, I think you should have to qualify for a bike licence, before being allowed to "upgrade" to a car licence.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2018, 12:29:30 PM »
My years riding a bike taught me a great deal. Every road surface looks the same sitting in a car. As a biker you soon realise they are not.
Personally, and I know most people would disagree with me here, I think you should have to qualify for a bike licence, before being allowed to "upgrade" to a car licence.

+1 My experience also

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »
I have not rode a bike for a fair few years but I always said 'pass a bike test first and then progress to a car'.
Makes you a more aware and safer driver in my opinion.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »
All a flashing indicator proves is the bulb is working.

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2018, 04:59:23 PM »
As the originator of this post, I note that the subject has has been somewhat lost and the vast majority of the replies refer to the use of indicators, rather than the original subject, which of course was 'Differences in the latest MK 3 Jazz.

Fortunately Jocko has seen fit to post his version of 'Indicator Protocol' (many thanks Jocko), so maybe we can get back to discussing the original subject.
What I am particularly interested in are features that are new to Mk3, not found on previous versions.

Many thanks to those who did respond, unfortunately my 66 plate Mk3 is still 'too new' to consider changing as this time, but I may well reconsider the situation when mine is 3+ years old.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2018, 05:26:56 PM »
I don't think there are any "new features", there has been a major refinement of what was already there. Some are obvious like better ride and handling, quieter, etc. Some are subtle like the improved auto wipe. Both Mrs Sky and myself have found the brakes to be more powerful and responsive, whether that is because it is a facelift or 1.5 Sport modification or because it is a CVT I don't know. At the handover of my 1.5 the salesman said "Don't worry about the knobs and switches they are the same as the one you arrived in". That was the 2016 1.3. He obviously forgot that the 1.5 has LED auto leveling headlights, so no adjuster.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 06:24:32 PM by Skyrider »

guest7675

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2018, 05:00:14 PM »
As to the styling of the mk3 many may know that the front was styled on the new civic look also many years when younger of bike riding taught me to be very observent of all surroundings.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2018, 06:31:40 PM »
Someone had commented that the rainfall sensor had been improved on the facelifted Jazz. Is there any improvement with the auto headlights? Driving early last Sunday evening showed my HR-V (same as the pre-facelift Mk 3 in this respect) getting confused by tree shadows and causing the headlights to keep going on and off. Going under a bridge also triggers the headlights even if there's bright sunlight a few yards ahead.

The other aspect of the auto headlights which has annoyed me is the long period (several minutes) that the lights stay on after being triggered by a few consecutive wipes of the windscreen even in bright sunlight. Has the facelift improved this aspect?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2018, 07:32:19 PM »
Someone had commented that the rainfall sensor had been improved on the facelifted Jazz. Is there any improvement with the auto headlights? Driving early last Sunday evening showed my HR-V (same as the pre-facelift Mk 3 in this respect) getting confused by tree shadows and causing the headlights to keep going on and off. Going under a bridge also triggers the headlights even if there's bright sunlight a few yards ahead.

The other aspect of the auto headlights which has annoyed me is the long period (several minutes) that the lights stay on after being triggered by a few consecutive wipes of the windscreen even in bright sunlight. Has the facelift improved this aspect?

I have a facelifted mk 3 which replaced a pre facelifted one. Driving the same route every day I find that there’s no difference in how the rainfall sensor works or how the auto lights switch on and off going under trees etc. Today we had some showery rain and at one point the wipers were going constantly with hardly any rain and when turned down had to be coaxed back into action when the rain got worse

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2018, 12:43:59 PM »

I can't see my exterior lights from inside the car in daylight, a light on the dashboard is certainly not going to annoy me. I don't see the problem.

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2018, 12:54:24 PM »

I can't see my exterior lights from inside the car in daylight, a light on the dashboard is certainly not going to annoy me. I don't see the problem.

+1 on the lights.
 What does annoy me are the "automatic" wipers that need as much adjusting as standard manual wipers this is the 3rd car I’ve had (2 Hondas and a Ford ) with them and they’re all the same, I don’t see why they bother fitting  them at all

Tags:

anything