Author Topic: Another Jazz owner  (Read 5255 times)

SteveOne

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz ES+ CVT
Another Jazz owner
« on: May 30, 2018, 01:12:11 PM »
Hello All
  I went out to buy a Civic auto (I've not owned a Honda for decades, though I've tried to buy one on several occasions).  Thought I'd try the Jazz as well - but not the CVT.
  Then I thought: why not try the CVT? - and I loved it  ;D
  I tried both the Mark 2 (it was actaully a 2015 EX without the paddles) and then a new top of the range Mk 3.
  I preferred the more simple (i.e. no screens) layout of the Mk 2 and bought a 2014 ES+.
  It's a shame it's got the 16inch wheels but that's easily remedied.

I was put off the CVT by all the reports of it revving too much - but I found the opposite to be true, it cruises at very low revs, perhaps the use of revs when needs is all the more apparent, but is certianly no problem for me.

In the end of the Civic cabin was a little too dark - especially in the higher specs.  I've had the Jazz for about a week and confident that I made the right choice.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
Re: Another Jazz owner
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 01:23:46 PM »
Hello and Welcome :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 04:07:02 PM »
Hello All

It's a shame it's got the 16inch wheels but that's easily remedied.

In the end of the Civic cabin was a little too dark - especially in the higher specs.  I've had the Jazz for about a week and confident that I made the right choice.

I fitted 15" wheels ( Rial Milano Titan from Mytyres.com)  to my wifes Jazz a few months ago and New Avon ZT-5 shoes - TPMS did not need resetting and speedo / satnav difference in speed not altered (speedo is about 2 mph optimistic at 30mph) .  Ride is much better and Avons only cost just over £50 a corner.  The original Si 'diamond cut' 16" alloys needed a refurb anyway, so decided to get new alloys instead of paying £££'s to get them done.    I have attached a PDF with photos of wheels and tyres.

We have a Civic 1.8Vtec and Jazz Mk2 Si and you are right about the Civic cabin being dark,  especially in the rear seats (rear side windows are not very big),  the Jazz is a nicer airier car to be in rear seats with much better visibility of outside world (but Civic has centre armrest, which is nice and there is more room for 3 rear passengers than in the Jazz).

I prefer Civic as a drivers car though, it is lower than the Jazz (problem for some to get in and out of)  and much more oomph and more direct steering, and dash layout with high level speedo much better (with larger more logical controls for everything as well IMHO. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 04:14:00 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 04:28:33 PM »
Car looks brilliant with those wheels. Very smart.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 04:50:56 PM »
Car looks brilliant with those wheels. Very smart.

Thanks, I was a bit naughty as convinced my wife she had chosen wheels (but I did pay for them), but I only showed her pictures of the ones I liked -- mytyres show a picture of correct car, you can alter colour and then when you choose a wheel it puts four on the car and you can spin car 360 deg - looks like magic to me.  Only paid £53 per wheel but when I looked again a week later they had gone up to £60 ????
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:29:38 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 08:15:06 PM »
Welcome SteveOne! Hope you get a lot of reliable miles in your CVT. 16' is good! I would have love that alloys!

Culzen your Si is brilliant! I also love the front seats of the Si. I m still looking at eBay for a set but they are selling around £200 so too expensive.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 09:23:55 PM »
Welcome SteveOne! Hope you get a lot of reliable miles in your CVT. 16' is good! I would have love that alloys!

Culzen your Si is brilliant! I also love the front seats of the Si. I m still looking at eBay for a set but they are selling around £200 so too expensive.

Seats in Si are nice, like the two colours. I guess the reason my wife chose the car was the seats (women can be funny).

IMHO The 16" wheels make the ride too harsh - and tyres are pricey, although more choice of 185/55R16 tyres now than a few years ago.  My wife wanted me to leave the Nokian 175/65R15 winter tyres on all year round as she noticed the ride was better with them on - must admit I thought the same and as 16" wheels in need of a refurb and new tyres needed I decided to get new 15" ones - probably saved money on wheels over a refurb (and definitely on new tyres).  Original 16" wheels were diamond cut and had the infamous 'white worm'.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:15:45 AM by culzean »

SteveOne

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz ES+ CVT
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 03:51:46 PM »
Thanks for the great welcome. 
Had a good cross-country drive this morning and found it very easy to overtake in the Jazz - I did use the S mode on the CVT.
I'm considering steel wheels & plastic trims for the 15inch stuff.  They're easier to clean and may protect the brakes better in some of the car parks where I park to ride my bike.  My Jazz has around 25K miles and its service history shows it's already had two new tyres, which is really quite poor.  I would want around 40K from a set.
The ride on the 16inch is better than I thought, although I think it could be quieter.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 04:22:03 PM »
Thanks for the great welcome. 
Had a good cross-country drive this morning and found it very easy to overtake in the Jazz - I did use the S mode on the CVT.
I'm considering steel wheels & plastic trims for the 15inch stuff.  They're easier to clean and may protect the brakes better in some of the car parks where I park to ride my bike.  My Jazz has around 25K miles and its service history shows it's already had two new tyres, which is really quite poor.  I would want around 40K from a set.
The ride on the 16inch is better than I thought, although I think it could be quieter.

So much of tyre life is down to the way car is driven that it is hard to blame the tyres or the car - the only thing I can say in all the Honda cars I have owned is that the tyres wear very evenly,  which is a tribute to the accuracy and ruggedness of the suspension setup.   The ride is quieter and less harsh on narrower 15" tyres, some of that may be down to tyres and some down to being narrower - potholes are less of a terror with deeper profile tyres as there is more tyre between rin and the road.  I would heartily recommend 15"  rims even if only for the much wider choice and much less expensive tyres (at least 40 to 50% cheaper than same brand for 16" 185/55R16).  Even if you don't fit winter tyres / steel rims the narrower 15"  tyres also help in snow.

Worth getting steel rims for winter anyway as they do protect brakes better,  and Jazz rear discs can quickly get very rusty indeed - my wifes rear discs lasted just a bit longer than your tyres, they were in an awful state but passed first MOT - comment was 'very rusty but structurally sound' - have a look at attached PDF and see what you think  :o  This was before getting steels and winter tyres for 6 months of the year.  Winter tyres also good on mud if you go on some dodgy carparks ( they are M&S mud and snow rated).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 04:38:48 PM by culzean »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 05:18:25 PM »
I'm considering steel wheels & plastic trims for the 15inch stuff.  They're easier to clean
I find my steel wheels, with trims, a pure pig to clean. So much so, I leave the trims off during the worst of the winter weather. I found alloys much easier to keep clean. I used Autoglym Alloy Wheel Seal. Just sprayed it on after every washing and the next time I came to wash the wheels, the dirt just floated off.
culzean: I understand your problem with the discs now. My rear discs are swept by the pads, almost all the way to the edge. It is as if your model has a larger diameter disc fitted, that can be used with a larger pad arrangement in another region/application. An unswept area of the disc, to the outside, seems like a total waste. Inside yes, but not to the outside.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 08:26:55 PM »
culzean: I understand your problem with the discs now. My rear discs are swept by the pads, almost all the way to the edge. It is as if your model has a larger diameter disc fitted, that can be used with a larger pad arrangement in another region/application. An unswept area of the disc, to the outside, seems like a total waste. Inside yes, but not to the outside.

Believe it or not there is no unswept area, the pad surface is within 2mm of the edge of disc, that is what makes it all so difficult to believe that the discs get in such a bad state,  I often pull handbrake on lightly while moving when I drive to polish the discs, but their condition only gets worse. Both sides are pretty much the same which rules out a problem with one brake.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 08:33:50 PM »
Hello and welcome. :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 09:39:22 PM »
Believe it or not there is no unswept area, the pad surface is within 2mm of the edge of disc, that is what makes it all so difficult to believe that the discs get in such a bad state
I cannot understand how the pads polish part of the disc, and not the other. I would think that disc would destroy a pad in weeks, if it rubs against the rusty, rough part. Something very odd happening there.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 11:00:47 PM »
It's interesting how we love our Jazz differently! When I was in my teens and 20's, alloy wheels and 16' are luxury and cool! Now you guys want to go back to 15' steel wheels and even with no wheel trims!!! What I say is that don't let Honda UK see this, otherwise, we will be paying for alloys and wheel trims as extras because customers no longer wants them, lol!

On a serious note, do check the tyre pressure often in order to make them last a bit longer and not to do dry steering!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 07:43:14 PM by 123Drive! »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 08:43:35 AM »
Now you guys want to go back to 15' steel wheels and even with no wheel trims!
Check out me profile picture to see my 05 SE in Black with steel wheels and no trims. Could do with 'blacking up' the wheel nuts to complete the effect.

Tags:

anything