Author Topic: Replace front pads  (Read 2301 times)

Bristolroversfc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2013 EX
Replace front pads
« on: April 10, 2018, 11:53:33 AM »
Hi.
Just took car for mot(it did pass) but he said front brake pads are worn and need replacing.
Its a 2013 1.4 .
Is this an easy job to do?
Many thanks

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Replace front pads
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 02:16:40 PM »
Hi.
Just took car for mot(it did pass) but he said front brake pads are worn and need replacing.
Its a 2013 1.4 .
Is this an easy job to do?
Many thanks

Fronts are easy enough job but the rear pads can be PITA due to handbrake and its cable. Search brake pads or brakes on this forum - plenty of info and advice.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 04:18:22 PM »
Hi
Euro Car Parts I get my pads and disks from but I always wait till they have a sale on (most weekends).
If you live around Bristol (just going by the name) then they have 3 branches in Bristol. Whitby Road, Filton and Avonmouth. They do Eicher, Pagid (I always use Product code 101601578) and Brembo but do wait for a weekend sale, usually 35% off! I like doing Jazz brakes (have 3 in the family I do). Yep a nutter :)

Bristolroversfc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 06:22:53 PM »
Thank you both for your replies.
Yes,I do live just down the road from Europarts Filton so will give them a go  :D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 07:46:14 PM »
How many miles has the car done ?  depending on driving style discs can last as little as 30K but up to 60K before they get close or below minimum (19mm) thickness,  may be worth replacing front discs at same time as fitting used pads to new discs not recommended.  Better to do the work once than have to replace discs and throw part worn pads away in a years time. Have a visual of the discs first and if they are heavily scored or have a big lip at the edge think about replacing them,  then you are OK for at least 3 to 4 more years.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:47:48 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Bristolroversfc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 08:34:14 PM »
Thank you Culzean.
Cars done 36,500 miles(im second owner).MOT garage said as far as he could see,the discs were ok but will take your advice and check them as well.
He did actually fail the car first of all for "incorrectly spaced characters"
I have a private plate (something like" ABC   123A")
He said they should be ABC1   23A
Cut a long story short.....he rang their head office and they "put him straight" :P

guest5715

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 04:59:41 PM »
Sounds like a buffoon, I wouldn't trust a tester that doesn't know plate rules!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 08:00:44 AM »
Sounds like a buffoon, I wouldn't trust a tester that doesn't know plate rules!

It is borderline if messing around with spacing of letters and numbers to make some tortuous name on a vanity plate is legal,  although apparently ANPR cameras can still make sense of them,  people do take liberties with number plates using strange fonts and such  and it does peeve a few fellow road users.  MOT inspectors have to pass exams and I do not put 'knowing number plate rules' at the top of my list when they are inspecting car for safety issues. 

There seems to be an automatic 'rear number plate dirtying' feature on a lot of BMW and Audi models (along with their non-functioning direction indicators),  which was useful with Gatso speed cameras,  but average speed, ANPR and newer technologies rely more on front plates, which is great for bikers like me  :-X  The German motor manufacturers think tank is working on a similar device for front number plates but it is proving hard to do. 

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 06:05:20 PM »
He did actually fail the car first of all for "incorrectly spaced characters"
I have a private plate (something like" ABC   123A")
He said they should be ABC1   23A

He sounds like a fine MOT tester, what a dumbo!  ::)

MOT inspectors have to pass exams and I do not put 'knowing number plate rules' at the top of my list when they are inspecting car for safety issues. 

I would think the correct spacing should be fairly obvious, even to someone with a only passing interest in motor vehicles.

After all, the year suffix/prefix system only ran on number plates for 38 years!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:16:17 PM by sparky Paul »

Tags:

anything