Author Topic: Water in car  (Read 6857 times)

guest7024

Re: Water in car
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 09:24:05 AM »
What did they say was problem mine getting worse

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 11:08:43 AM »
Our car is a MK2 so lights are different BUT similar problems are not impossible.
For some time I have been thinking of ways to clear the crud that has got into the seams on my rear lights.
I took out the nearside rear light only to find on the inside of the light gasket ( between car and gasket) mud and other such rubbish.  I am not aware of any water getting in but it is obviously coming past the gasket.
As to cleaning out the crud, Mr Honda has made a rear light with some lovely dirt collecting pockets which are impossible to clean.
Perhaps in Italy with your much higher temperatures it might be worth looking at the rear light gaskets. The MK2 ones are a type of foam rubber, which I can  see causing problems with extremes of temperature. Also the nuts on my rear lights were only finger tight and while I appreciate one mustn't overtighten any thing in plastic, I think they should have been a little tighter. I hasten to add this is not a Honda fault, our car had been involved in a rear end accident prior to purchase and after  three and a half years still finding evidence of bodged work.

MaxFrames

• Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
  • My Honda: Mk I (2004) Honda Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S - manual transmission - Ice Blue Metallic
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 06:38:16 PM »
 I was prudent when I said the car had been *allegedly* fixed, and I was right.
When I picked it up it was bone dry. Today there was light rain and the trunk was once again all wet.
Good job coachbuilder!  >:( >:( >:(
They *claim* they have sealed the rooftop rails. Assuming they did, which I doubt by default anyway now, then water must come in (also) from somewhere else and they seem to be clueless on how to check for water ingress using a hose. I will tell them to concentrate on the tail lights this time, but I really hear the death toll getting nearer for this Jazz. :( :(
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:41:08 PM by MaxFrames »
At stake.

guest7483

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 07:24:52 PM »
I had water ingress from the aerial on a MK2, I'm not sure if this would be the case with yours.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 07:56:21 PM »
I had water ingress from the aerial on a MK2, I'm not sure if this would be the case with yours.

My wife had a leak around the aerial on her MK2 as well.  But aerial on MK1 is at front of car.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 08:12:38 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MaxFrames

• Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
  • My Honda: Mk I (2004) Honda Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S - manual transmission - Ice Blue Metallic
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 08:42:52 PM »
I've taken the car back and they owned up to not properly removing the cracked sealant  :o
I hope this time around they will do a decent job.
At stake.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 09:03:40 AM »
I did mine about two weeks ago, water trails in the wheel well indicated it was the driver's side the water was getting in (UK car, right hand drive).
I took off both the roof rail seals, cleaned thoughly, They were full of algae,moss, slime and other crud. I didn't remove any old sealant as I didn't want to create new problems where there weren't any.
I could see a hairline crack in both rail channels starting at the rear hatch, going forward for about 18 inches.
I sealed both channels with Nemesis grabs & seals, this was £4.89 from screwfix, this can apparently be used on wet of dry surfaces, I've never used it before, just read the reviews and took my chances, I can always scrape it out in future if it doesn't work.
I put on a fairly thin bead on and smoothed it in with a finger dipped in soapy water, after cleaning the seals, I refitted and so far it's remained dry inside.
Unusually for Britain, we haven't had a big downpour since to give it a good test, need to wait till I wash it (could be sometime ha ha ha) I'll update if it fails.

Tags:

anything