Author Topic: Thieves stole my catalytic converter and lambda sensors.  (Read 22454 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Thieves stole my catalytic converter and lambda sensors.
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 11:04:53 AM »
Just a thought, as protection from future thefts you could weld lengths of reo bar top and bottom - this would stop them from using a pipe cutter which is the easiest method..

That rebar idea isnt a bad one at all. It would stop pipe cutters as you say, and 2 or 3 bits of rebar would certainly slow down the other method used - a battery grinder with a 5" slitting disc. You would have to concentrate on protecting the downpipe to the cat, and make sure they can't get to the front end of the cat.

I've looked at the catloc type devices, but I don't see what defence they are against the grinder. They will zip the bolts off quicker than going through the pipe.

I wonder if you could make a rebar cage that covers the underside of the downpipe and front of the cat, and fix it up near the manifold? It would make it harder to grind through if there's a bit of movement in it... I'm going to have a look at that when I get a spare hour or two.

edit: Just been looking at this thing which uses steel cables, that might be an idea you could adapt...

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 11:20:01 AM by sparky Paul »

marymck

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE 1339 cc 2006
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 02:42:35 PM »
My husband interrupted thieves trying to steal my catalytic converter.   In a busy street - in broad daylight.  Though not stolen, they've damaged it and the sensors.  They were genuine Honda parts and only fitted two years ago, because Hellfords had tried two after market ones which both failed after two months and I had ended up having to get Hellfords works redone by a Honda garage.  I've had no problems since..   Now however, the insurance company (the Co-op via M&S) won't fit genuine Honda replacement parts.  Nor will they give a transferable guarantee on the repairs.

So I'm thinking what to do in the future and I've heard that newer Jazzes have the catalytic converters in the engine compartment, making it harder for thieves.  Is that true?  And if so, what sort of models and year would that kick in with?  Would it apply to Civics too?  Or just Jazzes?
marymck

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 02:50:19 PM »
I think it's only the MK3 Jazz that has the cat in the engine compartment.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 09:55:08 AM »
There is a report in my local paper about a spate of catalytic converter thefts in the local area, at station car parks and the local hospitals. I use both the hospitals, on a regular basis at the moment, so I switched my G sensor back on. Hopefully, if they try to jack up my car, they will set the dash cam operating. I'll also try and park where I know there is CCTV coverage.

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/news/crime/warning-over-spate-of-catalytic-converters-thefts-from-fife-cars-1-5057051

Denis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 09:09:26 PM »
I'm afraid I joined the ranks of cat theft victims last night, irony factor is I was on holiday for three weeks in Australia and it didnt get touched. Checked the car on return and started it up yesterday afternoon all was fine. Went to bed around 8pm and it was gone this morning.
Not sure what to do, if I replace it with an aftermarket cat and sensors whats to stop the b******** coming back and taking that?

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2019, 08:44:46 AM »
if I replace it with an aftermarket cat and sensors whats to stop the b******** coming back and taking that?

After market cat's fetch so much less as 'scrap' I think they don't bother
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 09:35:28 AM »
My aftermarket cat cost me £85, inclusive of gaskets (that was returning the old one), so maybe not a great scrap value there.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 10:53:39 AM »
My aftermarket cat cost me £85, inclusive of gaskets (that was returning the old one), so maybe not a great scrap value there.

I think I would want some money back if I was swapping an original cat for an aftermarket one!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2019, 12:56:45 PM »
Beggars, can't be choosers, and it would have cost a bit more if I didn't have the old one.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2019, 09:09:04 PM »
Beggars, can't be choosers, and it would have cost a bit more if I didn't have the old one.

Aye... when yer stuck, yer stuck.

culzean

• Approved Member
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Denis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2019, 03:28:50 PM »
 Is there such a thing as a pendulum type motion sensor that could warn if the car is jacked up quickly?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2019, 04:46:18 PM »
Is there such a thing as a pendulum type motion sensor that could warn if the car is jacked up quickly?

They are called shock sensors,  detect when vehicle moves from a steady state

https://www.amazon.com/car-alarm-shock-sensor/s?k=car+alarm+with+shock+sensor
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2019, 05:22:43 PM »

That's like what car alarms used to be before they got complicated.

I used to have a mechanical one branded "Bulldog" which would go off if I was driving in a strong cross wind or if someone rocked the car when it was parked.

The horn sounded when the pendulum hit an electrical contact in the box.

It was in the early days of cars.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2019, 11:20:19 AM »

That's like what car alarms used to be before they got complicated.

I used to have a mechanical one branded "Bulldog" which would go off if I was driving in a strong cross wind or if someone rocked the car when it was parked.

The horn sounded when the pendulum hit an electrical contact in the box.

It was in the early days of cars.

Yeah,  is used to have one of those pendulum alarms thingies years ago,  but wind was a problem and annoying the neigbours led to its disconnection.

Tags:

anything