Author Topic: Honda Jazz Mk4 2020  (Read 267044 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Honda Jazz Mk4 2020
« on: December 08, 2019, 11:27:02 AM »

Press release for the Mk4 Honda Jazz due in 2020:

https://hondanews.eu/gb/en/cars/media/pressreleases/194431/all-new-jazz-leads-electrification-charge-for-honda

More information will added here when available.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:34:32 AM by RichardA »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: Honda Jazz Mk4 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 07:35:49 PM »
Waiting for tech specs..

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 12:06:18 PM »
Had to visit the dealer for a 6 month check up yesterday and picked up the brochure. I don't really see anything that makes me regret deciding to buy one of the last Mk3s of the production run. The body looks fine but it isn't really any different and if the rear looks more like a Mk1 in my opinion so good but nothing terribly exciting. The interior is good and the visibility even more impressive. And the colour schemes? Well I'll let you decide but I think its more a pitch to the young woman market than the duffer market.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 02:16:41 PM »
Waiting for tech specs..

Fuel consumption will be interesting given the new hybrid set up. My Mk3 is not great on fuel consumption although that is mostly down to short stop/start journeys in cold wet weather. I haven't seen 50 mpg as a long term average since my VW Golf TDI and that was a 2005 model.

I know one or two people who have the hybrid Yaris and that gets significantly better mpg than the Jazz in the urban environment. On the open road, much less so.

I'd be interested in a Mk4.

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 03:01:03 AM »
No technical details I am afraid - anything but! Anyway, FWIW here is the page dealing with e:HEV. From what I can make out it claims to be the first HEV drive of its kind available in a small car. In the diagrams orange is mechanical energy and blue is electrical energy. The box at the top is the petrol engine and the box in the middle is the electric motors. There are three modes. Electric only, engine generates electricity and that electricity powers motors rather like a diesel electric train and finally conventional engine drives wheels. They say that the vast majority of daily driving will be in electric mode - longer and faster journeys will need mode 2 and 3 respectively. It will also be available in 4WD for people living in Hokkaido and such places which are covered in snow for 3 months of the year. Here I think it will be available in all models except basic but it will cost quite a lot extra. And that's what puts me off - I only do about 4,500 miles a year tops so I don't believe it is worth it. I haven't actually done the calculations though.

nigelr

• Approved Member
  • 'Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.'
  • Fuel economy: 45 mpg
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 12:03:27 PM »
Will be very interested to see how efficient the new power train is.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 09:31:13 AM »
No technical details I am afraid - anything but! Anyway, FWIW here is the page dealing with e:HEV. From what I can make out it claims to be the first HEV drive of its kind available in a small car.
No, Toyota Yaris is already avaiable with a E-CVT hybrid system. Jazz is the first small car for Honda with a full hybrid E-CVT powertrain.
In the diagrams orange is mechanical energy and blue is electrical energy. The box at the top is the petrol engine and the box in the middle is the electric motors. There are three modes. Electric only, engine generates electricity and that electricity powers motors rather like a diesel electric train and finally conventional engine drives wheels. They say that the vast majority of daily driving will be in electric mode - longer and faster journeys will need mode 2 and 3 respectively. It will also be available in 4WD for people living in Hokkaido and such places which are covered in snow for 3 months of the year. Here I think it will be available in all models except basic but it will cost quite a lot extra. And that's what puts me off - I only do about 4,500 miles a year tops so I don't believe it is worth it. I haven't actually done the calculations though.
Jazz has always been avaiable in 4WD for japanese domestic market, such as Toyota Yaris and many other models. Most of them are not exported, in Europe we had only Subaru Justy, Suzuki Swift and Suzuki Wagon R+ offered also in 4WD. Present Jazz, called Fit in JDM, is sold with 1.3, 1.5, 1.5Hybrid I-DCD and each engine can have 4WD, both with manual or CVT gearbox (except the Hybrid sold only with the dual clutch gearbox).
Easily the Fit 4WD will have a similar  scheme to the CR-V.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:19:32 PM by jazzaro »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 11:27:57 AM »
My understanding is that the new transmission is NOT a CVT but something completely different. I gather the driving experience will be more like that of an electric car most, if not all of which, have a single reduction gear.

In short they are claiming a significant technological advance from Toyota's system.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 12:45:37 PM »
My understanding is that the new transmission is NOT a CVT but something completely different. I gather the driving experience will be more like that of an electric car most, if not all of which, have a single reduction gear.

In short they are claiming a significant technological advance from Toyota's system.
That's right, but it depends how you define the word "transmission".  There will be no mechanical gear ratio changes.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 01:13:38 PM »
The definition of Continuously Variable Transmission is what matters here, and in most drivers minds, especially with regards to the Jazz, CVT is recognised as a belt drive, step-less, mechanical transmission.
However, in engineering their are many varieties of Continuously Variable Transmission, as can be gleaned from this Wiki entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 03:13:36 PM »
There's no gearbox at all on the eCVT system, the engine switches between two modes - driving an alternator which charges the battery and/or drives the electric motor at low speeds, and a second mode via a clutch direct to the drivetrain via a single mechanical ratio for higher speed driving.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 03:57:21 PM »
That's what I understand sparky. The CVT on a hybrid Yaris is like the CVT on the current or Mk2 Jazz - the ratios change. The new Jazz has nothing in common, in terms of transmission, with the Toyota set up as seen on all their hybrid cars. Honda claim it is a completely new concept in a small car and I think they are justified in doing so.

I am looking forward to my test drive!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 07:09:19 PM »
The new Jazz has nothing in common, in terms of transmission, with the Toyota set up as seen on all their hybrid cars. Honda claim it is a completely new concept in a small car and I think they are justified in doing so.

I am looking forward to my test drive!

The system seems to work well in the CR-V, if the Jazz is using the same.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 10:18:20 PM »
Just a random thought and almost certainly not original but are we on the cusp of seeing manual transmissions start a long decline and, to be fair, CVT's and conventional automatics?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 10:26:09 PM »
I think that will be the case. BEVs do not require a gearbox and hybrids are moving that way too. Having driven automatics (buses and cars) for 25 years, my recent return to a manual transmission has confirmed what a PITA a manual vehicle is.

Tags: news jazz