Author Topic: Jazz in bad rust  (Read 5273 times)

TheFlyingPostman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ 1.4 i-DSI CVT 2007
Jazz in bad rust
« on: December 26, 2020, 01:19:42 PM »
I have owned my Jazz since 2016 it is 2002 with CVT, absolute love it for a long time which I did not want to replace any different Jazz in the future but my MOT it wasn't good sign because the floor board under the Jazz need a big welding because of the rust few holes which I didn't know it was quite badly when I keen down look under it! I have some rust bubble on rear both arch. The welding will cost round £500, they have to remove the floor carpet include the chairs.

I felt it is not worth to welding, I want to buy other Jazz same as my, but I was think if I should try the newer version of MK2 or MK3 has anybody thought about the MK2 and MK3 compare to the MK1?

I have notice the MK2 and MK3 CVT doesn't include 'L' Low range gearbox as it was brilliant to use in the Western of Scotland hills on my MK1 Jazz.

Is MK1 Jazz normally rust that bad? I have been regular washing most of the time it seems not help with rust issue.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Jazz in bad rust
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 02:30:05 PM »
Almost all  cars 15 years or older have problems with rust...unless aluminium bodies and then they have issues with aluminium corrosion..

Salt and a wet climate and mud don't help,

Now I remember when a three year old Mini in the 1960s would have holes in the sills and a rusty rear subframe,. Cortinas had major rust issues with front spring turrets.. and Jaguars dissolved.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 06:14:36 PM »
For £500 the rest of the car would need to be in excellent shape for it to be worthwhile. The car is probably not worth much more than that to be honest :-(

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 10:06:40 PM »
Unfortunately, if the Jazz has been with factory surface treatment only, after 15 years it'll be suffering rust all over the underbody in UK environment. Japanese cars typically are not very well protected against rust, unless first owner has got an anti-corrosion treatment made when the car was new.

Si Crewe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 Jazz S
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 08:26:54 PM »
For £500 the rest of the car would need to be in excellent shape for it to be worthwhile. The car is probably not worth much more than that to be honest :-(

When you write something like that, people read it as "it's not worth the cost of repairing" without considering what you wrote properly.

I'd suggest there's a LOT more to think about before deciding to scrap a car and replace it.

If you take the £500 you need to spend on the Jazz and use it to buy a different car you could quite easily end up with a car that's going to need a lot of expensive or difficult work doing on it.

If you're DIYing, the Jazz is pretty easy to work on and if you're paying a mechanic you'll be paying for less hours of labour.

Also, the price of parts for a Jazz is ridiculously cheap compared to other cars.
Ironically, there are a lot of mechanical bits for Jazz's to be found in scrap yards as a result of cars being written off due to rust.

Obviously it's up to people to decide what their priorities are but I'd seriously think about spending the money to fix specific rust problems on a Jazz in order to continue taking advantage of cheap parts and easy labour instead of choosing a different car which might come with a bunch of new problems and have more expensive parts and be harder to work on.

Course, if you've got a car which is just generally suffering from rust all over then you're probably fighting a losing battle.
In that case, maybe looking for another Jazz, without the rust, would be the smart choice?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 07:08:17 AM »
When considering any repair needed to a car, my thought is "Can I buy as good a car as this for the cost of the repair?" If the answer is yes then scrap and buy another. However, that is seldom the case in my experience. I just had to spend £394 to get my car through its MOT. Could I buy one as good as mine for that price. No way. Hence the repairs went ahead.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 09:35:32 AM »
It all depends what that £500 will buy you. If it gets the car through a test and sees off the rot problem for a few years, then it could well be worthwhile. If you are going to be facing another £500 bill in a years time, or worse, having to scrap it because there's rot in a place that is difficult to repair, then it might be time to call it a day.

They're not all bad, and there are some very clean ones out there. I was looking at a 57 plate write off last week, cat stolen. It was low mileage, 30-something thousand miles, and in lovely condition... but the underside was fantastic, you would swear that the car was only a few years old. It went for a few hundred pounds plus fees - CVTs are fetching good money, but nobody seems to want the manuals.

Si Crewe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 Jazz S
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 10:22:37 AM »
They're not all bad, and there are some very clean ones out there. I was looking at a 57 plate write off last week, cat stolen. It was low mileage, 30-something thousand miles, and in lovely condition... but the underside was fantastic, you would swear that the car was only a few years old. It went for a few hundred pounds plus fees - CVTs are fetching good money, but nobody seems to want the manuals.

That's the thing.

The engine recently died on mine, in spectacular fashion.

I'm in the process of fitting a new engine but, as is often the case, another Jazz came up for sale just down the road from me and I was advised to buy it and use mine as a source of future spares.

Thing is, this other Jazz is 3 years newer than mine and, although it's running, the wheelarches, sills and bottoms of the doors are rusty, the boot floor is rusty, the subframe is rusty and the suspension turrets are rusty too.

Mine, on the other hand, barely has any rust on it at all.
If I hadn't already bought an engine, I might've considered buying the other one just for the engine but I wouldn't fancy trying to get it through an MOT or keep it running long-term.

I spent my youth monkeying around with Minis, Triumphs, Alfa Romeos and Lancias.
As far as I'm concerned, I'll happily replace any of the oily bits of a car but tin-worm is the only reason to get rid of a car.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 11:00:36 AM »
A good one bodily is certainly worth keeping going, no matter what else goes wrong. They are such a practical little car, generally very reliable, pleasant to drive, easy to work on and bits are cheap and plentiful. In many ways, I prefer the mk1 to the later cars.

I spent my youth monkeying around with Minis, Triumphs, Alfa Romeos and Lancias.
As far as I'm concerned, I'll happily replace any of the oily bits of a car but tin-worm is the only reason to get rid of a car.

You certainly knew how to pick 'em for rust!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 11:10:50 AM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 11:20:41 AM »

That's the thing.

The engine recently died on mine, in spectacular fashion.

I'm in the process of fitting a new engine but, as is often the case, another Jazz came up for sale just down the road from me and I was advised to buy it and use mine as a source of future spares.

Thing is, this other Jazz is 3 years newer than mine and, although it's running, the wheelarches, sills and bottoms of the doors are rusty, the boot floor is rusty, the subframe is rusty and the suspension turrets are rusty too.

Mine, on the other hand, barely has any rust on it at all.
If I hadn't already bought an engine, I might've considered buying the other one just for the engine but I wouldn't fancy trying to get it through an MOT or keep it running long-term.

Beware the seaside car,  they don't only get salt in winter....... and salt is more corrosive in warmer and humid conditions of summer.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TheFlyingPostman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ 1.4 i-DSI CVT 2007
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 09:37:38 AM »
I was not aware the GE3 is made in China! the 7 speed shift is different to my GD1, What year is GE3 start from? 2007?? Next week I am taking GE3 for a test driver to see if I like the new shift display.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 09:44:46 AM »
I was not aware the GE3 is made in China! the 7 speed shift is different to my GD1, What year is GE3 start from? 2007?? Next week I am taking GE3 for a test driver to see if I like the new shift display.

Chinese GE3 for UK market was produced 2006-2008.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 12:12:28 PM »
The welding will cost round £500, they have to remove the floor carpet include the chairs.

A lot of that £500 will be the labour to remove and replace the carpets and chairs. If there is someone in your area that can come to you and do only the welding, you would save a lot of £££ if you can do the rest and prepare the car.

Tags:

anything