Author Topic: "Tailgate open" warning  (Read 1984 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
"Tailgate open" warning
« on: March 04, 2023, 05:03:36 PM »
Driving along today I suddenly got a warning chime and the dash indicated the tailgate was open. Stopped and checked it, all OK so carried on. A few miles later the same thing happened but this time the warning disappeared on it's own so I didn't stop immediately, and again all was OK at journey's end. I figure the sensor/switch is getting a bit sticky or needs some adjustment, but I can't see where it is. There's no obvious push switch pressed in by the door, which is what I was expecting, so I figure it's somewhere inside the latch mechanism. Anyone got any ideas?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: "Tailgate open" warning
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 05:15:39 PM »
Let's be careful out there !

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 05:56:26 PM »
could just be sticky, perhaps a little squirt of WD40 into the lock might lubricate/clean it out.

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 05:59:17 PM »
I don't know your model but this parts diagram doesn't help ?

https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ/2016/13-EXCLUSIVE/BODY-PARTS/TAILGATE-PANEL-2D-/30744/B55/6/30744
Thanks. My French isn't good, but I don't see anything in there that might be a switch or sensor.

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 06:03:35 PM »
could just be sticky, perhaps a little squirt of WD40 into the lock might lubricate/clean it out.
In principle yes, but I want to find the sensor/switch rather than spray randomly. And I'm not sure I'd use WD40, that isn't really a lubricant and is likely to make it more sticky rather than less. Some carefully targeted 3 in 1 or similar is what I had in mind. But where?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 07:36:53 PM »
Found this on Fit Freaks, the US Jazz/Fit forum.

I removed the tailgate plastic cover from the back and eventually found a 2-pins connector near the tailgate lock assembly. Unplugging that connector shut off the doors open light in the dashboard and shut off the interior lights.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 10:47:28 AM »
Sometimes I get the tailgate open warning after I think I’ve closed it, and I clear it by re-opening and closing it more firmly. I assume that the catch had not gone fully home the first time.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 09:14:34 AM »
Sometimes I get the tailgate open warning after I think I’ve closed it, and I clear it by re-opening and closing it more firmly. I assume that the catch had not gone fully home the first time.
I occasionally get that  too and  have to slam it more firmly. I assume there is a sensor thats a bit more sophisticated  than the old fashioned plunger switch  that could  sometimes be adjusted by screwing it, or a strike plate,  in and out.  But I don't know where the switch is or if its adjustable.     

But if its sophisticated electronics maybe the sensor can  be  affected by dirt and any debris, such as leaves etc. .   Or am I the only one who sometimes neglects to carefully clean the boot shut area when washing the car ? :-[

Possibly the solution  might be a slight adjustment/repositioning of  the catch mechanism so the boot is held more tightly shut , rather than the switch.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 09:33:09 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 09:44:44 AM »
In my case, the tailgate is definitely tightly shut - it's been checked multiple times, including slamming really hard.

Did a 50 mile round trip yesterday. On the outward journey, the warning came on 5 or 6 times at random intervals. I didn't bother to stop and check because I knew it was tightly closed at the outset and wasn't making any rattling noises, and it was still tightly closed on arrival. On the return trip, not a peep from it, everything normal. So it looks like a sensor problem rather than a latch failure. Grrr, I hate intermittent problems!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 09:56:44 AM »
Especially as they rarely fail when the garage investigate.

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Not "Tailgate open" warning after all ...
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2023, 08:42:13 AM »
Egg on face time ... the dashboard warning I was getting is nothing to do with the tailgate, it's actually telling me there's a fault with the parking sensors. Didn't really suspect that until I got a similar indication but with all four corners of the car lit up at once whilst driving along. Car's booked in to the dealers in a couple of weeks, meanwhile I just have to keep the system switched off (but remember to turn it on when I park!).

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Not the tailgate after all
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2023, 08:01:10 PM »
Been in to the dealer today. £50 to diagnose the problem, which turns out to be one of the rear sensors has failed. Cost of replacing that is around £200, and the nearest spare is apparently in Belgium. Arguably one could do without the system, but it is quite useful and a continually pinging alarm is an unwelcome distraction when driving. So that’s another visit after Easter.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2023, 03:51:55 AM »
Belgium is the Honda parts store.

Bit of a pain, especially with the often slow border.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2023, 12:40:04 PM »
Belgium is the Honda parts store.

Bit of a pain, especially with the often slow border.

Slow moving parts will be in Belgium, fast moving parts eg. Service parts and higher demand will come from Swindon.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2023, 03:18:31 PM »
Still a Swindon Honda presence then ?

Tags:

anything