Author Topic: Any phone geeks on here?  (Read 857 times)

MrPolite

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MK 2 Jazz 1.4
Any phone geeks on here?
« on: January 29, 2023, 11:12:30 PM »
I have a perfectly faultless mobile phone, which is stuck on Android 10, with no more support from the (extinct) manufacturer.

Is there any way to update the android system, for security reasons?

The phone is perfect apart from that, and it seems madness to have to chuck away a perfectly good phone.

The phone is a Mara Z1.

Any help appreciated  :)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Any phone geeks on here?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 12:55:36 AM »
There probably is a way but I bet it is more trouble than it is worth. And if you have any issues with your upgraded phone, there will not be too much help forthcoming. Unfortunately, we live in a disposable society.

But wait! Get yourself down to CEX and trade it for something newer. This is the best way to recycle technology that still has a use, as far as I can see.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 11:36:10 AM »
My phone software is Android 9 ( 9-230FCG1) and my phone tells me it is up to date. I certainly won't be changing my phone in a hurry.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 11:55:02 AM »
The first thing to go on most phones is the battery. It's no wonder they changed to internal difficult to replace batteries.

If you do stick with an old phone think twice before installing sensitive apps like banking.

Even though my phone is fairly new I've still not been tempted by any financial related apps. That's a job for an ethernet connected PC.
Let's be careful out there !

MrPolite

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: MK 2 Jazz 1.4
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 12:02:09 PM »
Thanks all, it's very annoying, because the phone is fine apart from that.

But apparently it's security risk running older outdated software. Yet the phone and battery are fine.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 02:43:57 PM »
Out of date Android versions are, or can be, a real nuisance. I recently purchased one of those Doorbells with a camera. Fortunately it wasn't mega expensive (about £60 iirc) but you need an App so the bell can send pictures to your phone. My version of Android on a 2018 phone is not the right one therefore I can't install the new doorbell. I buy my phones rather than have them as part of of package and my existing phone works fine for what I need.

I've kept the doorbell for use when I do finally change my phone but what a PITA. I think the people who sell the doorbell are at fault as you won't find anything to do with required Android (or IOS) version needed in the adverts. (might hidden away in the small print but that's unacceptable - I assumed it would work with any smart phone).

Tags: