Author Topic: Last query I promise - taxing car no logbook!  (Read 2161 times)

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
Last query I promise - taxing car no logbook!
« on: January 27, 2023, 04:44:49 PM »
Hi, Here again regarding jazz auto that many of you have have advised for which am grateful. Just thinking ahead once back at used car dealer office this Wednesday (after mechanic inspection) to deal with paperwork/payment and driving back the 4 miles home. I know I am/will be covered regarding insurance (I can deal with this through online portal with Aviva) and kow the car is MOT'ed.

I cannot recall what dealer said regarding logook. As a worse case scenario, and from what I researched online can I go to nearest post office to dealership, apply and complete V62 form (which costs £25.00) and tax car (for 6 months) so I can drive home without any problems, chance of getting fine in post if car picked up by ANPR?
And little more into the mix, I am actually exempt from paying road tax due to PIP/DLA mobility and have the dwp certificate to prove this. When previously taxed our current car online with tax reminder just needed to put certificate number in and car then taxed. Query here is, if I can tax new car at nearest post office with V62, if I show my exemption certificate should I still get free road tax instead of paying for 6 months & then getting 5 month refund once I have logbook with 11 digit reference number that allows me to tax online?
Hope I have come across clear enough, only matter I am concerned with is driving home from dealership & for couple days after and aking sure I am properly covered in all respects. Again cannot tell you how gratefull I am to you and to be part and still be art of this forum (unless you vote me out for being complete PITA!).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Last query I promise - taxing car no logbook!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 06:57:52 PM »
When I bought my Jazz the dealer taxed it on my behalf before I left the forecourt. If he doesn't have the V5C he must have some paperwork for the car.
When I bought the Fabia the dealer delivered it to my house and transferred it to me. He allowed me to keep the Jazz until I got my V5C and was able to tax it then I passed the Jazz over to him.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 09:47:27 PM »
Cheers Jocko, I understand it is quite common for car auctions not to have logbook as it may have been destroyed by insurance company as per information on form V62.
If I have not got it wrong, from reading post office info & other sites, if no paperwork, I think I can fill in form V62 and pay £25 fee, then along with MOT cert (which I have seen) and dwp road tax exemption certificate and hopefully tax car.
Just be grateful if someone be able to confirm or deny this. Cheers.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 10:01:35 PM »
Not something I've done personally. Found this though, might help.

https://www.disabledmotoring.org/motoring/road-tax-exemption

From the website:

"What to take to the Post Office

You need to take:

the (V5C) registration certificate (log book) in your name, or a new keeper supplement (V5C/2) if you’ve just bought the vehicle
    an MOT certificate that’s valid when the tax starts
    Certificate of Entitlement
    Insurance Certificate for vehicles registered in Northern Ireland

If you don’t have the V5C or V5C/2, download and fill in an Application a vehicle registration certificate V62 form (download here). Take it to the Post Office with the £25 fee.

Once this has been done your vehicle will then be in the Disabled Taxation Class"

HTH

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 10:36:55 PM »
West, thank you so much for that. It is what I thought (hope) just that so many pages don't make it clear if after filling in form v62 you can pay road tax/show exempt certificate and car is taxed.
Would help if sites said that you don't have to wait 4 weeks for new logbook before able to tax. I know I go to the nth degree to make sure but just me. That link you supplied has also given me faith. Many many thanks 😊

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 09:21:11 AM »
Still getting conflicting info on this. Some people unable to tax cars for 4 was or longer. Cannot afford a 4 days nevermind. Might see if trip to local post off ice gives any more clarity. Why can't it be done at post office with accompanying documents. Aaarrrgghhh!

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 02:56:43 PM »
Right, as far as I can see this will be penultimate post on this whole matter, finally (hopefully) resulting in transfers of respective cars!  ;D

Bearing in mind I went as far as going to local post office (forcing my motility issues to start before usually able!), explained problem to them & they knew exactly points I was making. Even agreed that sometimes attempting to tax car without logbook/green slip actually works and computer says yes.

Assisted me with completing V62 together with VIN no (which I obtained from enahnacing images supplied by salvage auction report) and current mileage, purely to see if computer would allow taxing as needed. Computer says no, but came back with error 5006 & advise contact with DVLA.

OK, so my local PO won't assist with 'short cut'. Then in despair, thinking it would leave me without vehicle for +6 weeks, with heavy heart emailed dealer with last resort option, if he was willing. Suggested go ahead with car inpection on Wednesday and then I increase current deposit to £1000, in the hope that we both hold onto respective hondas and then when logbook arrives after V62 completed and submitted, finalise paperwork & payment. My anxiety levels were through the roof & even remarked that if he wished (at which I wouldn't be surprised) to call it a day and put car back up for sale, I couldn't blame him. He has bent over backwards, and more, accommodating us at every request.

I then received a call just over noon, from dealer. Answering tentatively, he sounded in rather good mood. He appreciated my predicament, and didn't beat about the bush.
He confirmed that car would be taxed in my name & then, if I wished once logbook received I can then advise DVLA to change class to 'disabled'. He even offered to leave the 6 months car tax in force and when I able to use exemption certificate, any refund can be retained. I told him that if he can guarantee that there will be a valid car tax receipt I will pay the 6 months in addition to agreed price. Talk about being so relieved, and lighter. I think I asked him at least 5 times to confirm what he said.
The reason is that his local post office where he taxes vehicles have helped him and that he as taxed more cars than I have. I have no reason to disbelieve, as he has been honest, trustworthy & ent over backwards in every aspect.
I even got to point of renewing looking for other jazzes, in similar class as I started a few weeks ago. There were 2, both priced £7250, 2011, not even ES plus.
So, looks like Wednesday is going to be a day for small celebration, remebering to obtain all paperwork, MOT, Receipt for car, And proof of 6 month car tax, in my name, meaning I can drive car home in complete confidence. This is a car I did not want to lose.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 12:05:02 AM »
....... He even offered to leave the 6 months car tax in force and when I able to use exemption certificate, any refund can be retained. .......
Just be aware that road tax VED CANNOT be transferred to a new owner on sale of a vehicle (not 100% sure this is what you mean, but that's the way I read it). Any current VED must be surrendered and a new VED obtained by the new owner.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 04:45:44 AM »
I'm getting the impression this is one dodgy purchase.

Bought at auction by a used dealer without 'logbook' and sold on, with only one key and presumably no key tag to obtain additional keys.

I'd have walked.
Let's be careful out there !

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 11:59:39 AM »
Point on tax - he took my name and address at time of test drive. Looking at v62 nothing saying can't be completed on my behalf-new keeper details. Not worried-problem I had was not able tax car with v62 immediately and car I couldn't drive for 4 weeks. As local post office said, sometimes allows them to tax immediately, sometimes not.

On point of dodgy, prechecks and reports, not stolen police and insurance confirm, nothing dodgy. Have seen full car history via mot checks, pics of dings/damage to front back bumper taken at salvage auction. Couldn't and can't do any more due diligence.
Not a bloke selling cars at side of road. Premises house around 12-15 cars at any 1 time, also next door to larger trader. Also neighbours know trader of old, not just from car sales.
And Kremmen, way you describe car sale, from looking and getting further info on few cars, this is not uncommon way for dealers to obtain stock. As long as he/they are honest about car, where he got it from, not trying to pull wool & car details check out, then nothing dodgy. Thanks for replies and advise. 

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2023, 12:07:25 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I hope it all works out in the end.

You just seem to have had a lot of hassle and delay.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2023, 12:57:47 PM »
Hi Kremmen, Yep lot of hassle as that is me checking every single aspect. Also, local independent garage and mechanic I use only able to fit car in on Wednesday coming at 11.00. Will be there fir that then down to dealers to check paperwork including receipt for V62 and £75 tax paid (and maybe £25 for v62 app.). This was discussed on phone yesterday with dealer when he put my mind st rest. Even said when I get logbook and tax with exemption certificate that I could have refund. Told him if car taxed in my name as above would reimburse at time of paying for car.
I know you didn't reply with any animosity and were replying advisedly.
By the way,  what do you mean 'no key tag' to obtain  separate spare key? Never cone across. The key is fold key with remote open close buttons. Thank you again  and appreciate all advice and comments.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 02:20:17 PM »
When I bought my Jazz the dealer taxed it for me. In my name and address and I reimbursed him. VED was NOT transferred to me. It was mine.
The key tag is just a device with details of the key so if the key is lost you can order another. As long as you don't keep it on the key ring! The owner, when the car was written off, probably has it in a drawer somewhere.
When I bought the Fabia the dealer gave me the number for a mobile key service that will come to you and cut, program and supply a spare key/fob from the original.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2023, 08:18:45 PM »
Hi Jocko, Got you. Can't see key gob being with car/dealer. .ike you say, in drawer somewhere maybe with spare key. Have looked at this also, £130 key service come to us quoted £130...better than what I imagine honda would charge...not unheard of £400!
And the taxing lark, this is what I can only think dealer here is doing. He certainly put any ghosts I had concerns abd anxious about. Our neighbour used to work at post office on counter for years but today only been able to speak to her. She confirmed that couple dealers she dealt with regularly would even just leave documents abd signed open cheque with her to out through and complete amounts owed in cheque. Are occasions where mere mortals unable to tax with v62 but higher gods of dealers able.
Get back on Wednesday 🙏😃

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 05:53:53 AM »
There was a time when used car dealers would keep a spare key till the car was paid for.

Probably not an issue in this case but spare keys are expensive and without the key code it probably has to be a dealer job ?

Tags:

anything