Author Topic: Advice on next car!  (Read 5179 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Advice on next car!
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2023, 05:52:49 PM »
I am a bit suspicious of photos  on an  industrial estate, an explanation about location  and pertinent photos.  Some private sellers might be this savvy, but dodgy dealers are experts.  But they sometimes give themselves away by being just a bit too clever and slick with their answers.  . 

Father in law is likely  to have  a different name. No proof he is related, and a dodgy dealer r could guess from the mileage that he is elderly and concoct a tale to suit.They have lots of excuses for the car not being registered in their name  - selling for elderly relative,  bought for  wife but she didnt like it   etc.   For that money I would expect to view the car at the registered keepers address and for the seller to come to the door when I arrive.  Not just lurking nearby  and making himself known.

If you know the registered keepers address  check it on google street view. Does it have a driveway  where an untaxed car could have been been left and photographed.   If you know  the son in laws address do the same for that. Any clues as to why it could not  be kept and photographed there?  It might make sense if the father in laws address is miles away and son in law has no parking.

Go by your instincts . It may all be above board,

But bear in mind that a very low annual mileage is not necessarily a good thing.   Cars benefit  from use.  Short journeys with a cold engine may have relatively high engine wear for its miles.    I'm not saying dont buy such a car.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 05:58:21 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2023, 06:14:47 PM »
Sorry, should have given more detail. 2 are perfect (must be rear) 1 has 3 marks, not on outside where kerbing/scratching appears so maybe bits of dirt collected when driving to place of taking pictures. The last, which must be passenger wheel, which in general wold get most, there are 3 very slight kerbing marks, all appear on 1/4 of the alloy wheel. Rest of that wheel, other 3/4 or 45 minutes, is actually clear of marks. Apologies for not being clearer.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2023, 06:29:15 PM »
Hi, Lord V, Many many thanks for joining in. I agree with your views and have already said I wouldn't expect him to travel to me, that I would have to travel to him. Would ask to see his driving license make sure addresses match. Even expect to look at paperwork within his home, if like you say, genuine. Would never agree to meet halfway between address.or on car park of any sort! Home address or nowhere.

Haven't asked these questions yet, as not going any further forward unless he willing to come down substantially in price. If not will to come to maximum of £7k, then not worth even driving to view/see paperwork/test drive. Only just started conversation with seller through autotrader website. If he is willing, then I will go forward with further questions regards as to why pics on trading estate! As mentioned, if genuine, may think that car park on trade estate is not highway, as maybe at time when car SORN-the car check I paid for, does not give date when car sorn, but is best detailed check totalcarcheck do. Everything else matches and no other issues raised. It seems to tie in with what seller has said up to now.

From my last message to him, I turned it around and made him aware of the lengths I am willing to go to make sure all is above board, regarding due diligence etc, as I am sure he would appreciate. I might have scared him off :'(

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2023, 06:33:18 PM »
Lord V, forgot to add, that I suspect car would be in sellers name, as check says original owner had car 9 yrs 9 months, and current owner I hope being seller. Shouldn't current owner details be on logbook? then check this against license!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2023, 08:39:04 PM »
When I was selling my car I went to a swimming pool car park with a nice background rather than take pictures in the street. That way I was able to get all around the car with nothing in my way. Perhaps he did the same.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2023, 10:27:23 PM »
Cheers Jo kong, and Lord v. Had further reply saying FiL willing to drop to £7500 and any inspection ìs welcome.
Wasn't expecting to be dropped to my (our) maximum of £7k, least not immediately. Little bit gutted, but will reply tomorrow letting him know impossible for us to go above £7k, financially & psychologically. Remind him not relying on finance to pay for it.
Maybe letting him know it going to good home, will be well looked after etc. Might even disclose full medical background!
Will also be asking mechanic where we have our jazz serviced if he does inspections, or know who does. When I message tomorrow will also ask about photo locations in attempt to put that gremlin to bed. On that point, did further search and looks very rare that private sellers have pics taken in front of home/residential settings. Don't know if that because even traders take pics of cars in better surroundings. Car pitch opposite always takes cars to local church to take pics & seems to be normal practice!
So, the saga continues....dum, dum, dum...dumdum. Thanks again peeps (if any of you want car advert details to let me know your views, am willing to give information for your perusal).

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2023, 11:49:59 AM »
Who on earth is Jo Kong  ;D
Predictive text name changing Jocko! Apologies Jocko.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2023, 07:49:26 PM »
Replied to last comment of seller with offer £7500. Replied, truthfully that absolute maximum we can get to is £7k, both financially and psychologically.
Looks like may have to wait until March when prices (hopefully) naturally drop due to new reg, but also, on off chance car not sold for whatever reasons, then to consider us for first refusal.
Bloody shame but will be a while until come across such great example of that model.
Hey, Ho...Back to search engine and tick off few more.
Or drop expectations and look more closely at 2013, 1.4 i-VTEC ES Plus CVT auto, 60k, 1 owner, but another cat n! Dealer wants £5,900. Least it's a grade up from current cat c  ;D
Report gives pics of damage taken for auction purposes as ding to rear lower bumper and a crease/dent to front bumper, driver side. Obviously get pre purchase inspection done and bonus, dealer is with our town!
So, search continues...But massive thanks and appreciated all replies re previous car. Take it easy.   

Johnocyprus

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT, 2007 CRV EX, 2022 C125 SuperCub, 2003 Izzy
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2023, 08:02:48 PM »
Even in this crazy market 7k for a private sale seems high for an eleven year old car.   Bear in mind values are now falling.    Have you checked the MOT history of the car? If it is perfect get a WBAC valuation then add 25% and use this figure as a rough guide as to value.  I’d expect perfection for this price including every MOT and invoice if this paperwork isn’t there then reduce price again. 

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2023, 08:17:21 PM »
Even in this crazy market 7k for a private sale seems high for an eleven year old car.   Bear in mind values are now falling.    Have you checked the MOT history of the car? If it is perfect get a WBAC valuation then add 25% and use this figure as a rough guide as to value.  I’d expect perfection for this price including every MOT and invoice if this paperwork isn’t there then reduce price again.

My thoughts exactly

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2023, 08:36:48 PM »
I know this one is London but as an example from a dealer this is low mileage, one owner high spec and warranty at £6795 screen price. Your guy is way out on his price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314094274168?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ao8i65trqwu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=8p1PoQFdSii&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2023, 12:17:50 AM »
Just been emailed from seller and he has sold car 2011 ex for full asking price - £8,000  :o :o :o
JHC!

TonyH

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2023, 09:06:08 AM »
This is what we're up against at the moment as prospective buyers... >:(

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2023, 10:04:23 PM »
I bought my 2011 cvt jazz about 5 years ago from a main dealer for £5,000. 
Car has been totally reliable but have had to shell out for an expensive gear box repair but it was better than write off and replace,
Chris

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2023, 10:16:35 PM »
Any idea what causes gearbox problem? Whst mileage are we talking about, when you bought it and when gearbox went, if you don't mind me asking.

Tags:

anything