Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1673 times)

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
Hello!
« on: July 09, 2020, 09:33:04 PM »
Hi to everyone.
I've been silently watching these forums for a number of years but I've finally got myself a Jazz EX CVT to replace my 2016 Civic 1.4 Sport. We also have a 2016 CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE which we bought new and the family love it.
I originally wanted a Jazz in 2016 but the Honda salesman gave me a really cracking deal on the Civic as it was due to be replaced by the current model. The Civic was fine but it was a little underpowered, especially loaded up so I finally got the Jazz I wanted. Loving it at the moment and due to following the forum I was aware of the little niggle areas, the only problem I have is the start/stop doesn't work even after charging the battery, disconnecting the battery but as it's a pain I'm not too bothered about it.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 10:36:39 PM »
Welcome.  :)

Did you charge the battery a second time after the disconnection / reconnection? Also don't connect the charger directly to the -ve terminal but to the earth strap. That rectangular box between the earth strap and the terminal is the "intelligent" battery sensor which tells the ECU how much power is flowing to / from the battery.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

equaliser

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 11:41:39 PM »
Hi John
Yes, I tried charging it with the CTEK MX5.0 connected to the earth strap (I had do this with the Civic from time to time so I knew about the battery sensor). A few days later I disconnected the battery and charged the battery again, it only took a couple of hours to charge right up.
The Civic used to stop working for weeks then just start working again when it felt like it. I'm hoping the Jazz might do the same eventually.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 07:34:07 AM »
Welcome to forum and congratulations of your new Jazz!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 07:59:09 AM »
Yes, I tried charging it with the CTEK MX5.0 connected to the earth strap (I had do this with the Civic from time to time so I knew about the battery sensor). A few days later I disconnected the battery and charged the battery again, it only took a couple of hours to charge right up.
I have a similar battery maintainer which I use with my HR-V (same stop-start system) but leave it connected for several hours after the green light shows. I found that only giving a top-up until the green light doesn't put enough juice into the battery to satisfy the stop-start system's requirements. It's designed to be very fussy to ensure instant restarting in traffic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 08:58:22 AM »
Hi to everyone.
I've been silently watching these forums for a number of years but I've finally got myself a Jazz EX CVT to replace my 2016 Civic 1.4 Sport. We also have a 2016 CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE which we bought new and the family love it.
I originally wanted a Jazz in 2016 but the Honda salesman gave me a really cracking deal on the Civic as it was due to be replaced by the current model. The Civic was fine but it was a little underpowered, especially loaded up so I finally got the Jazz I wanted. Loving it at the moment and due to following the forum I was aware of the little niggle areas, the only problem I have is the start/stop doesn't work even after charging the battery, disconnecting the battery but as it's a pain I'm not too bothered about it.

Welcome to forum, plenty of good advice to be found on here.

The 1.4 Civic was always going to be under-powered with same engine as Jazz in a heavier car.  My sister in law got a 1.4 Civic as well ( against my advice ) and was less than overwhelmed by the 'performance'....

If I had a stop start car I would love it if the stop-start did not work,  I find it so annoying ( but I also find other tech in modern cars annoying ) - I guess you need a pre-flight cockpit check list like a pilot goes through to turn everything off before every trip - its getting a bit like those ever more tortuous pop-ups on websites where you have to disable cookies that you don't want .
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 09:12:43 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Kick the tyres, pull out the choke, wind down the window a bit (by hand) and off we go  :)

Those were the days.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

equaliser

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 10:23:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Kick the tyres, pull out the choke, wind down the window a bit (by hand) and off we go  :)

Those were the days.

Ah, I remember those days well, but without the rose-tinted glasses! Is it going to start? Is it flooded? Where is the Damp Start?  ;)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 10:49:48 AM »
I was a factory maintenance engineer, and I got called out one morning to help the lady HR manager who had gone into the nearby town with the works Mk4 Cortina. It had died on her. I got in the car, pushed the choke in and it started first turn. You should have seen the colour of her cheeks. And no, her handbag was not hanging on it.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 11:23:26 AM »
My Austin A35 had slide down windows which worked very well and stayed in the position they were put while the quarterlights could be turned to face forwards and provide extra breeze on a hot day. Such simple technology has been buried by progress. The Maestro could deliver fresh air to the face at the same time as warm air to windscreen and feet - none of my subsequentl vehicles have provided this level of convenience.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 01:18:02 PM »
My frst car a VW Beetle had a pneumatic operated windscreen washer.
The only problem was a tube connected to the spare tyre provided the air, you could have a puncture and find you've no air in the spare.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 02:16:16 PM »
My Volvo 144 didn't have a heated rear screen but when you set the airflow to demist, the air was ducted through the sills and up through vents to the rear screen. kept the inside of the sills dry too.

guest9236

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 09:48:14 AM »
My 1948 Austin 12 Had four Hydraulic jacks one on each corner operated by opening the bonnet and using the long handle provided clipped inside you selected front or rear and pumped them down,
Better than all this goo stuff they so thoughtfully supply these days.
Plus of course the stater handle incase of flat battery,
No bl—-dy electronics to control the car, the driver did it so much better, the car never ever let us down.
Those were the days petrol if I can remember CORRECTLY was about 1/6 a gallon and for those of us that need a conversion to toy money it is 7 and half NEW PENCE.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 02:14:24 PM »
A gallon of petrol was 4/4d when I started driving back in 1964. About 22p or £0.048/ litre, if my arithmetic is correct.

By chance found this interesting site for us oldies.
https://www.silversurfers.com/nostalgia/step-back-in-time-to-1963/

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 08:19:09 PM »
Hello and welcome :)

Tags: