Author Topic: Polish a new car?  (Read 7534 times)

hiraz

Polish a new car?
« on: August 25, 2007, 11:11:11 AM »
Hi, is it OK to polish a brand new car? I’m looking to give my Honda Jazz a real detail this weekend, but the car is only a few months old. Is this OK?

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Polish a new car?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 02:22:12 PM »
You can polish a new car, but unless your car has visible swirl marks I wouldn’t bother. I didn’t need to polish either my blue or silver Jazz’s, although my black Civic had some marks when I took delivery.

Goffs Oak

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 02:56:14 PM »
Perfectly safe to polish car if you use a light polish like Autoglym SRP. This polish is very light and uses fillers to mask defects. The car would come up a treat.

hiraz

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 03:02:11 PM »
Thanks. There are a few swirl marks on the car so following the advice here and in the Autoglym topic, I’ll pop down to Halfords for some red label Autoglym.

guest238

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 07:12:16 PM »
I thought you had to hold off three months before polishing a brand new car, so to allow paint to cure?

Goffs Oak

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 09:45:34 PM »
[quote:30h2q4k7]I thought you had to hold off three months before polishing a brand new car, so to allow paint to cure? [/quote]

Not on a brand new car. By the time you’ve collected it the paint would be fully set-in.

With resprayes you should wait a couple of months before polishing or waxing, although it depends on the work done. Ask your repairer, although leave it untouched for a while if unsure.

Best advice really is to wax the car when new and then use a very mild polish or paint cleaner like Autoglym SRP/UDS, Carlack68 AIO, etc, at three or six months old then apply it twice a year.

But don’t wax or polish a car ‘protected’ with those kits dealers try to con you into buying….diamondbrite, supaguard, etc., although Autoglym Lifeshine *can* be used with Autoglym SRP/EGP.

Oh yes…polish/paint clean then wax!

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 10:01:03 AM »
I would wait about 6 months and then use autoglym super resin polish

guest765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 09:19:17 AM »
New car ? no such thing..........when you buy a "new car" it could be months old.
But if you want to polish it correctly first you need a good citrus wash and then clay the car....its amazing how many "new cars " have contaminated paint......then you use a polish (not a wax) first with a machine polisher then you either seal it or wax it.....thats if you want to "DO" it corectly.  8)

Tags:

anything