Author Topic: The Buying Process - GAP Insurance & Scotchguard  (Read 7002 times)

guest3155

The Buying Process - GAP Insurance & Scotchguard
« on: March 24, 2012, 04:30:36 AM »
I've just taken delivery of my 2009 Jazz Ex & I'm very pleased with it.

During the buying process I was subjected to a very heavy sales pressure to take out GAP insurance & Scotchguard protection.

Both of which seem very expensive & to me unnecessary.

Is this how major dealers make their profit?

guest2765

• Topic Starter
Re: The Buying Process - GAP Insurance & Scotchguard
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 07:47:37 AM »
Pfft those arent really worth it, i was looking at an 07 civic and the sales girl tried to say it was wise to have, really its un-nessicary as the insurance company would in the case of a write off give you enough to get a similar car (if they offer you an unfair amount you can appeal with evidence on why its not enough) and the scotchguard isnt worth it either tbh....just a way for honda to make some extra money id think. (and if you compair dealer prices to private trade prices this seems to be the icing on the cake, a little extra so the sales people get a little extra in their wage)

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:59:16 AM »
I have not heard of GAP cover for cars, only for medical insurance.  Does it work the same way and what purpose does it serve?

When my last car was written off by the insurance co since the cost of the repairs exceeded the book value of the car, I received a 110% payout since their assessor found the cat to be in excellent condition.
If music be the food of love, play on

guest3155

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 09:48:48 AM »
GAP insurance covers the GAP :D between the market value (ie the selling price) at the time of the accident which writes off your pride & joy & the invoice price you paid when you bought it.

I was offered it for £395. It only last for 3 years & tactfully refused it together with Scotchguard proptection which was also expesive IMHO

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »
Sounds like another idea to extract money out of consumers pockets!
If music be the food of love, play on

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 06:45:02 PM »
If you want GAP cover you can get it much cheaper online.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 08:48:25 PM »
Avoid both and put the £ into your tank
Some salespeople are still motivating buy selling extras to customers cause they get a commission.

guest2162

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 02:01:31 PM »
GAP insurance is really for those buying the car on finance. If the car is a loss, the money you get back from the insurance might be less than you owe.

But as has been said here, if you need it, you can buy it much cheaper on the internet, there's a lot of profit margin on the dealer prices.

Even if you think you need it, check your normal car insurance. Most policies replace a new car loss with a new car in the first year, and a few even do this for up to two years.

Tags:

anything