Author Topic: Front seat heaters  (Read 2882 times)

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
Front seat heaters
« on: October 31, 2023, 06:35:32 PM »
As it is getting colder in eastern Switzerland the heated front seats (and heated steering wheel) are very welcome.
I was quite surprised that the current heating setting of the front seats is preserved even after the car is completely switched off. The english manual is much clearer on this fact than the german one which may be why I missed it.

I'm not quite sure yet whether this was a wise decision of the Honda engineers - it certainly is a welcome feature after a short stop like fueling up, but somewhat unexpected after a longer stand still.

What do you think?

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
Re: Front seat heaters
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 06:55:21 PM »
The front seat heating is extremely efficient, probably best I have ever had, mainly I suspect because of the hybrid batteries having the energy needed. I find if they are left on unexpectedly, you soon know about it and take action to reduce the level. I tend to leave it on the lowest setting without issue, and love it.

coldstart

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 07:06:00 PM »
I agree that they are extremly quick to heat up and seem to work degressivly: Meaning, even the lowest setting in the beginning feels quite hot but seems to get cooler over time.

ahavoja

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Crosstar 2024
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 07:19:21 PM »
Now that the winter is coming here to Finland, I use the seat and steering wheel heating almost every time. They keep me warm so I can lower the temperature setting of the climate control to around 16 C. Then the engine starts less often, saving gasoline, when it doesn't need to produce so much heat to warm up the air.

It feels a bit strange to me that the heated steering wheel doesn't remember the last setting, but the heated seats do. On the other hand, the steering wheel heating is easy to switch on again, as you can find the button on the steering wheel easily with your thumb, even without removing your eyes from the road.

Because the heated seats remember their setting, I need to check every time I start the car, if someone left the passenger heated seat on. But it's nice that I dont need to switch on my own heated seat every time, because it remembers the setting. So i'm not sure which way I prefer, remember the setting, or forget it.

coldstart

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 07:22:22 PM »
... So i'm not sure which way I prefer, remember the setting, or forget it.
Exactly my feelings (for the moment)

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 09:39:00 PM »
Does the passenger side heat up with no one in the seat, eg by accidental switch on? Or is it linked to the seat belt or pressure sensor to save energy?

ahavoja

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Crosstar 2024
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 01:00:36 AM »
Does the passenger side heat up with no one in the seat, eg by accidental switch on? Or is it linked to the seat belt or pressure sensor to save energy?
Your question made me curious, so I tried it... I set the seat heaters to setting 3. At start the passenger seat was -1 C and after 5 minutes the warmest spot on the seat was 24 C, so yes it heats up even when no one is sitting on it. As a positive, this makes it possible to pre-heat the passenger seat before you pick up the passenger.

(Climate control was off, passenger seat empty and seatbelts unbuckled. Gear selector was in P and ignition was on.)

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 12:09:07 PM »
Very interesting, thanks. So it's worth while keeping an eye on the leds if on by accident. Never thought about the scenario of wanting to pre-heat for a passenger, they heat up pretty quickly for me with bottom in place  ;D

Tags:

anything