Author Topic: High Voltage Battery Charge Too Low - Vehicle Cannot Start  (Read 22129 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: High Voltage Battery Charge Too Low - Vehicle Cannot Start
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2023, 06:16:44 AM »
I wonder if the HV battery is OK but a completely dead 12v battery has confused the diagnostic ?

I've had many occasions where after trickle charging the 12v battery the battery meter has gone to 10 bars
Let's be careful out there !

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2023, 07:10:27 AM »
If you have charged the 12v battery, try getting it into maintenance mode, that should start the engine if the HV battery has reserve charge.

Same as other Honda models.

https://www.gen3insight.com/threads/maintenance-mode-in-3rd-gen-insight-and-2018-hah.4252/

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2023, 09:53:59 AM »
Hi, is there any reason why you would not request Honda Assist. Whichever way you look at it, unless something untoward has happened of which we are not aware, you would be covered under warranty ?

alchemistjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2023, 12:09:08 PM »
I will be ringing them, but do I need to change the 12v battery first? or is that supposed to be covered?

mitchelln

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2023, 01:01:43 PM »
Hi, is there any reason why you would not request Honda Assist. Whichever way you look at it, unless something untoward has happened of which we are not aware, you would be covered under warranty ?
Perhaps they were not aware that they had it. Horizon Honda didn't mention it at all when I bought our MK4 last year. No documentation, nothing. I assumed they'd dropped the scheme until I contacted Honda directly when I had trouble setting up the MyHonda app.

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2023, 02:16:17 PM »
I saw that is was a 21 model therefore fully covered under  3 warranty including Honda Assist. Whichever way you look at it the battery either is or is not covered, depending upon assessment, but the difference in battery cost from a main dealer is not necessarily much more than elsewhere.

alchemistjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2023, 05:41:49 PM »
I was not aware of the Honda Assist till someone posted it here, thanks for that.
I was hoping like my previous cars, I would be able to get it working so that I learn for next time, but maybe it's not that with Electric cars.

I replaced the 12v battery just in-case, it read 1 bar for a while,  and put it into Maintenance mode but was unable to get it started. So will revert to Honda Assist :)

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2023, 08:00:22 PM »
Good luck and I’m sure like many of us , we will be most interested in the outcome.

alchemistjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2023, 09:16:14 AM »
Hi All,

Thought I would post an update of my journey.
Called out Honda Assist, the AA came and they tried to jump start the car, they tried to read diagnostics but didn't find anything.

It was taken to a dealership who just rang saying they will carry out a diagnostic, when I said I was away for 2-3 weeks they started saying if that is the reason I may need to pay for the repair and £90 for diagnostics, they will come back to me.
Am I not allowed to take a holiday once I buy a Honda Jazz?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2023, 09:37:22 AM »
... I may need to pay ... £90 for diagnostics...

There does seem to be an increasing trend that you have to pay for the initial diagnostic, and if they confirm the defect and that rectification is covered by the warranty then the diagnostic cost should be refunded. Annoying, but I suppose it deters time-wasters who go to dealers with spurious "defects" that aren't (not suggesting that here at all, just commenting on the possible reason for the diagnostic charge).

GeoffW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz SR
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2023, 03:51:59 PM »
Refuse in front of other customers to pay any charge for diagnostics on a car which is under warranty. It worked for me.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 04:02:27 PM by GeoffW »

alchemistjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2023, 09:32:36 PM »
They gave me a ring to say it the due to the 12v battery not being OEM, and needed changing. I told them to change it. Then I didn't hear from them, so rang them again, and they said changing the battery didn't work, so they have called in help from Honda Technical. So need to wait.

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2023, 09:41:04 PM »
@alchemistjazz: I'm quite taken aback that it takes Honda over a month to get your Jazz up and running again!
Question: Are you absolutely positive that you properly switched of the car before your absence?

alchemistjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2023, 06:35:04 PM »
Had a nightmare with the dealer. So the dealer said it might be the HV battery and to test it I need to give them £1500 and if it is the battery then another £7000 to replace it.
So the dealer is saying the previous owner told them the car had a engine change, so the car has no warranty. (So a headache I need to follow-up on with the previous owner). But they can't give me any information on it.
I requested the car back, when the AA recovered the car at the dealership he saw damage on the car bumper where it has been hit by another vehicle and took pictures.

I told the dealership and they are denying it saying it might have already existed and they can't see anything hit it in their CCTV. I asked for the pre-inspection report and they said they couldn't carry one out conveniently due to the car's location and being a non-runner. Though they could tell me in needs 4 new tyres.

So back to the car:
So once I got the car back I have got a replacement HV battery and changed it over (DISCLAIMER: I am not telling anyone to do this without training and know how. SAFTEY FIRST)

After replacing the battery I had 7 bars and EV Ready sign the car started. I let it idle for few minutes and then started to reverse it where the HV battery went down from 7 to 0 bars. Then the car cut out.

The car will try and start for a few seconds if I try and start it before stalling.

Since I got the car back from Honda I have a new error on the screen 12V Battery not charging. (They fitted a new 12v Battery).

Is there a way to force the petrol engine to turn on? Could the fuel be contaminated or mis-fuelled?
Or could it be a alternator (AC-DC convertor) fault?

Before replacing the HV battery the HDS diagnostic was reporting the error: P06AF - Permanent.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 07:03:10 PM by alchemistjazz »

Jazzyone

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 hybrid
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2023, 07:27:06 PM »
You can force engine to start. Switch on as normal and leave it in park. Depress the throttle and hold it down. After about 15 seconds the engine will start up. If you’ve got errors showing though it might stop it firing up.

Tags: