Author Topic: Honda price increases  (Read 8644 times)

Expatman

• Approved Member
Re: Honda price increases
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2023, 10:36:20 PM »
I suspect we are in for an interesting 2024. Sales of EV’s are not reaching expectations and there is a hint that excess stocks may be building up, particularly as the less expensive Chinese brands are released into the UK market. If the Chinese brands modify prices to increase volume then European and Japanese car companies are going to feel the draft and maybe forced to offer reduced price deals to retain market share. Demand for petrol cars remains buoyant but at some price point buyers will be tempted by an EV, or hybrid, even now the price of many petrol VW’s, Audi’s BMW’s etc. have been pushed up into EV price territory so, 2024 could well be an interesting year for car sales in total. This will be compounded by the increased cost of living pressure and the rapidly increasing insurance rates for EV’s.

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2023, 06:10:37 AM »
...The older generation have grown up with saving up to buy things as the norm, whilst the younger generation haven't.
Credit isn't seen as an embarrassment, as it used to be, and in some cases it is the smarter option.
Spot on. Debt was to be avoided at all costs. These days, I think people see it as inevitable. It's not if you can 'do without' the latest wotsit. And therein lies the detail imho. Born in the 70's, we never expected or got the latest thing. Borrowing money to get 'it' was seen a silly idea.

Add into the mix that borrowing used to be very expensive. Over the last decade+, until very recently, borrowing has been vitrualy free. Lots of people have taken on massive debts on the basis of minimal servicing costs. Not great.

Talking of price increases, it's October so the Jazz has gone up again.

Elegance £26,395 (up from £25,900)
Advance £27,550 (up from £27,010)
Advance Sport £28,695 (up from £28,145)
Crosstar Advance £28,550 (up from £28,010)
I know I'm out of step as a new car buyer, but the figures above sound like BMW 3 series money to me, not Japanese supermini. If I had to have a new car, it would take a long time to convince me that the Jazz was worth double the price of a Dacia Sandero.

Certainly a bit out of touch, take a look at configuring a BMW 3 series with a few comparable extras, makes the Jazz look cheap.
I am not defending Honda pricing, it's certainly top end, but for the money you get a well spec'd, well built, safe car.
Cars across all brands have become ridiculously expensive over the past few years. If I look back at the cars I have owned over the past 3-6 years, most have increased by £20-25,000 since I first purchased.

As for a Dacia Sandero, a 2 star safety rating would be a non starter for me and in my opinion is a reflection of the "cheap" price.
https://www.whatcar.com/news/dacia-sandero-loses-car-of-the-year-2021-crown-after-receiving-two-star-safety-rating/n22959

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2023, 07:01:03 AM »
These significant purchase price increases, plus surging insurance, plus the decline in driving standards reducing driving pleasure all adds to my previos decision that my Jazz will be my last car.

Passed my test in 1969 and I've driven through the golden era without issue.

I'm in an area with local good transport and supermarket, all walkable. I'm currently driving about 20 to 30 miles a month just to keep the HV battery charged.

Living with daughter and looking for a suitable house within a short walk so I still won't need a car.

All the houses so far are not suitable for a mix of reasons:

Too old
Not been maintained, I've viewed some shockers
Too many overhanging trees from neighbours gardens
Mid terrace with no rear access
In flood zone

One day .....

Let's be careful out there !

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2023, 08:05:23 AM »
...The older generation have grown up with saving up to buy things as the norm, whilst the younger generation haven't.
Credit isn't seen as an embarrassment, as it used to be, and in some cases it is the smarter option.
Spot on. Debt was to be avoided at all costs. These days, I think people see it as inevitable. It's not if you can 'do without' the latest wotsit. And therein lies the detail imho. Born in the 70's, we never expected or got the latest thing. Borrowing money to get 'it' was seen a silly idea.

Add into the mix that borrowing used to be very expensive. Over the last decade+, until very recently, borrowing has been vitrualy free. Lots of people have taken on massive debts on the basis of minimal servicing costs. Not great.

Talking of price increases, it's October so the Jazz has gone up again.

Elegance £26,395 (up from £25,900)
Advance £27,550 (up from £27,010)
Advance Sport £28,695 (up from £28,145)
Crosstar Advance £28,550 (up from £28,010)
I know I'm out of step as a new car buyer, but the figures above sound like BMW 3 series money to me, not Japanese supermini. If I had to have a new car, it would take a long time to convince me that the Jazz was worth double the price of a Dacia Sandero.

Certainly a bit out of touch, take a look at configuring a BMW 3 series with a few comparable extras, makes the Jazz look cheap.
I am not defending Honda pricing, it's certainly top end, but for the money you get a well spec'd, well built, safe car.
Cars across all brands have become ridiculously expensive over the past few years. If I look back at the cars I have owned over the past 3-6 years, most have increased by £20-25,000 since I first purchased.

As for a Dacia Sandero, a 2 star safety rating would be a non starter for me and in my opinion is a reflection of the "cheap" price.
https://www.whatcar.com/news/dacia-sandero-loses-car-of-the-year-2021-crown-after-receiving-two-star-safety-rating/n22959

I agree entirely. Regarding the Dacia.. I came over to Honda from a previous run of Renault cars. Never had a single issue with any of them, and safety was always on my list. Their ENCAP was always high. The Dacias use Renault engines, so reliability and engine tech will always be good. However, Renault have decided not to go fully down the EV/Hybrid route, and are re-issuing a full petrol Clio again. Starting at 17k and 3 trims that top out at 20k, and capable of 50+mpg. Their Jazz equivalent Hybrid/EV starts at 22k. Surely Honda must be watching this! As for BMW...pah, chav car of choice and certainly not the elite (or reliable) marquee that it once was.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2023, 08:23:52 AM »
When I bought my first Civic in 2007, EX top of the range, I looked at the Golf

The prices were roughly the same

Then when I specced up the Golf to what the Civic had, that increased the price significantly

BMW have gone over the top now with features on subscription, and some will fall for it

Whiteshark

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2023, 03:02:41 PM »
I am sure Honda know what they are doing, and if you think about it only those not in the car market are affected, because part exchange prices rise.
However there is now another factor that has come into play, shortage of new petrol cars. Manufacturers are now phasing them out, which will exacerbate supply shortages, and consequently keep prices high. Even if electric cars are available they are either too expensive for most, or not suitable because of charging issues infrastructure.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2023, 03:55:02 PM »
Some 24 hours ago I compared the price of our Jazz with the electric BYD Dolphin. And guess what...:

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/byd/dolphin
If nothing goes right, go left!

Berisford

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2023, 06:41:47 PM »
Just checked out the BYD insurance - age 68, full no claims - £780 v VW Golf £165 Renewed 2 months ago.
Plus home charger install quote @ £1500

I know it's not all about the money BUT, if it was then £2100 + the £35000 car purchase + the price of the leccy?

I'll wait a while.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2023, 10:51:08 PM »
Just checked out the BYD insurance - age 68, full no claims - £780 v VW Golf £165 Renewed 2 months ago.
Plus home charger install quote @ £1500

I know it's not all about the money BUT, if it was then £2100 + the £35000 car purchase + the price of the leccy?

I'll wait a while.
And that’s exactly what an increasing number of motorists are going to do - wait. So uptake of EV’s is unlikely to meet government targets so they will impose sanctions to force motorists to buy EV’s. Already manufacturers are facing fines for every non EV car sold unless they meet a rising % of EV sales each year from 2024. The fact that the charging infrastructure doesn’t exist nationwide doesn’t seem to have occurred to them - or they don’t care as long as their virtue signalling is satisfied.

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2023, 09:12:20 PM »
Still think Honda have gone a bit mad with pricing.  Who's going to buy a ZRV or new CRV at those prices?  People having that much money buy BMW's etc, because they're after prestige (its mad - but there you are)  :o

Whiteshark

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2023, 10:09:33 PM »
I think you are right …….but…. There we are .

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2023, 08:20:31 AM »
As they use to say to Luxury car buyers " If you need to ask the price you cant afford it"   :P

In some ways it a shame that Honda dont do a bare bones option with fewer fancy extras that some of us may never use.   But  I might then have done without a few things I would now really miss.  - such as a reversing camera.

I dont like the new trend from some makers of so many things being on subscription or optional extras that can be enabled  by a software update rather than having to fit  extra expensive  components/trim. .
Money at no cost to them , or options for sealing deals with freebies.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2023, 10:38:17 AM »
I remember a bare bones Hillman Imp that had no passenger sunvisor for example. Some vehicles with no heaters.

I considered a Mini pickup at one stage because they were cheaper than the car

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2023, 11:53:28 AM »
I remember the time when people often bought car derived vans because they were not subject to purchase tax. And there was a big after market business in fitting them with side windows.  I think there were restrictions on when you could do this without paying tax, but it was often evaded. I think when purchase tax was replaced by VAT there was a special additional Car tax for a while.  (Not to be confused with Vehicle excise duty)

You could also avoid a high rate of  purchase tax by buying a 'kit car'.  You were  supplied with a kit of components and assembled the car yourself.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2023, 12:10:30 PM »
Yes, a friend bought a Lotus Elan Sprint in kit form in about 1971

What was hilarious was when finished Lotus insisted on sending out an expert to check it over top to bottom. Torque wrench on all bolts, etc

Tags: