Author Topic: Head on collision in my Crosstar  (Read 7664 times)

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
Head on collision in my Crosstar
« on: August 10, 2022, 10:39:42 AM »
On 30 June I was driving my daughter to school on a country road.  Coming round a left hand bend, I was confronted by a car travelling fast on the wrong side of the road.  In the head on collision all my airbags went off.  I looked down to see my shirt covered in blood (there was glass everywhere) and my right leg like a concertina (shattered femur).  Either the thing near to the mirror that calls the police worked automatically or I manually triggered it.  The policeman answering said he could not hear me properly and asked if I could call back (ha,ha).  He also asked for my location-I thought that this was supposed to be transmitted automatically. Eventually, all the emergency services arrived. My daughter went to hospital by ambulance and stayed there a couple of days.  I was given Ketamine and flown to hospital by air ambulance after every item of clothing had been cut off and the roof had been  cut off the car. My ribs and sternum were broken.  My discs were chipped and scratched.  The next day surgeons redid my femur with a titanium rod and plate.  After 15 days in hospital I was transferred to a rehab unit where I am now.  Physio was brutal.  Dashcam footage from a following car shows the other car on the wrong side of the road.  I am now dealing with an insurance company that does not answer the phone.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
Re: Head on collision in my Crosstar
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 10:45:50 AM »
My God! What a horrendous thing to happen to you.
I do hope you recover as swiftly as possible.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 11:12:43 AM »
Horrendous. Here's hoping you make a full recovery along with your daughter.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 01:28:46 PM »
Horrific for you both, dreadful experience, I wish you speedy as possible recovery physically and mentally.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 01:56:00 PM »
How horrible. I hope Honda are wondering why their top-notch crash protection failed to minimise the damage to the driver. Or maybe if you were driving some other vehicle you would have permanently disappeared from this forum. Do you know the make of the oncoming vehicle and how that coped with the collision?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 02:07:27 PM »
...Glad everyone is fairly OK under the circumstances  :o

Slightly worrying the intensity of the injuries though, in a brand new 'super safe' car!. I can't imagine what could've happened in a 'lesser' safety oriented vehicle!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:23:21 PM by shufty »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 02:53:45 PM »
So very sorry to hear of the accident. What a shocking experience to have. I wish you a speedy recovery.

If the insurers are not answering their phone, as sadly some firms don't, it might be worth trying their webchat to ask someone to call you. HTH.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 03:31:12 PM »
Sorry to hear about your accident.
Hope you and your daughter make speedy recoveries.
Stick with the physio and rehab. It'll be worth it in the long run.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 04:11:06 PM »
Agreeing with all the words from other people.
I hope you and your daughter soon get past this horrible thing.

I cannot believe your insurance company are not giving you top priority. Have they agreed to a loan car?
Neil Ives

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 06:25:47 PM »
Just to echo what others have said. Terrible accident and I hope you and your daughter make a full recovery.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 09:23:07 PM »
So very sorry to hear of the accident. What a shocking experience to have. I wish you a speedy recovery.

If the insurers are not answering their phone, as sadly some firms don't, it might be worth trying their webchat to ask someone to call you. HTH.
Online, find one of those sites that gets talking to the MD possibly

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 10:03:16 PM »
How utterly horrific, and chilling to read about it. There but for the grace of God, etc. I suspect recovery will not be quick or painless and it will be difficult to stay positive, but feeling able to write it down is probably a good sign.

One positive thing is that in the worst possible accident that could have occurred (high speed, head on) the car’s safety features did their job and kept the occupants alive. The outcome could have been very different in an older, less robust, car.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2022, 10:18:43 PM »
Oooooooh.
Best wishes to you and your daughter, and indeed the rest of your family/friends who will also be affected.

No car will prevent occupants being injured in a serious high energy collision but it sound like the safety features did their job.

Jazzdriver

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2022, 06:08:32 AM »

I cannot believe your insurance company are not giving you top priority. Have they agreed to a loan car?

Apparently there is no loan car because my car is a write off and so is not being repaired.  The insurance company just leaves me in a queue until I get cut off. 

A further development is that my broker Adrian Flux (a forum sponsor) put me onto their claim management company, who in turn put me onto personal injury solicitors.  I have spent time dealing with these people from my sick bed.  Yesterday I received a curt email from the claims management company saying that they and the solicitors could not continue with me because my policy was taken out in September of last year (which they knew from the start).  I may try to see if Adrian Flux can intervene with the car insurance company at least.   

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2022, 07:23:34 AM »
Horrendous.  Get well soon.

But as has been pointed ,no vehicles , crumple zones, air bags etc can make you completely immune from injury  in a head on collision   if the speed (or the  combined speeds of both vehicles,) is high enough.  The physical forces involved can be massive  and they  increase by the square of the velocity. (ie You may assume the energy of a 4 mph impact is only twice that of a  2 mph impact.Its actually 4 times as bad  (2 x2 ) and rises exponentially as speed increases.
At one time police road safety officers had a little demonstration rig at county shows etc. where you are strapped into
 a car seat wearing a seat belt, then   rolled down a slope until you hit the bottom at about 2 mph. The sudden stop, even at 2 mph  gives your body quite a shocking jolt  intended to make you realise the benefits of a seat belt  (no air bags in those days) 

It sounds like the safety systems may have saved your life  .  I assume that some cars involved in major collisions will be examined by Road safety and Honda engineers ,to assess how effective the systems have been, and whether there is still room for improvement.

Can you remember if you were able to come to a complete stop yourself immediately prior to the impact,  or whether the Collision mitigation  system  also activated and  helped reduce impact speed a bit?    (Activation might be recorded on the ECU, )

The fact the police  tried to speak to you   is not a failure of the automatic emergency  call system.  Some activations will be false alarms that they could then cancel having spoken to you.  It will also help them them assess how badly hurt you may be,  or you might be able to give useful  additional information about what help needs to be sent.  But if you are too badly hurt to respond verbally they will send help anyway using the automatic location system.   
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 07:51:07 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: