Author Topic: Driver’s seat wear  (Read 14187 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: Driver’s seat wear
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2022, 05:57:09 PM »
I wonder if this would invalidate the warranty :

https://www.autoglym.com/leather-cleaner-balm

More to the point, would it help ?

or

Are those side panels vinyl, in which case normal baby oil would be best.

I don't think it's actual leather now, just plastic.

My last Volvo did actually have genuine real white leather seats that required treatment every 6 months.

It looks like the material they have used isn't thick enough and is just wearing out from being compressed when people normally sit on them.

The fix may likely be a new thicker seat base cover required - quite a lot of labour involved usually as they have to remove trim to do it.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2022, 05:50:07 AM »
It's on my list to check later.

If you press leather with a finger, it produces spider like creases whereas vinyl doesn't.

Thinking again about @Roman issue, could that be a jacket with an unfastened zip that's dropped between the seat and closed door, or something along those lines as it doesn't look like natural crack/rip
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 07:19:54 AM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

guest9814

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2022, 07:30:50 AM »
It's on my list to check later.

If you press leather with a finger, it produces spider like creases whereas vinyl doesn't.

Depending on that test it's either leather balm or baby oil on the shopping list.

Thinking again about @Roman issue, could that be a jacket with an unfastened zip that's dropped between the seat and closed door, or something along those lines as it doesn't look like natural crack/rip
Nope
in summer there pretty hot and winter not so cold to wear jacet in car, on those rare days when it’s cool in the morning in winter, I put on a light down jacket that I take off before I get into the car, I put this jacket on the back seat.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2022, 07:45:05 AM »
Good find.

That looks almost exactly the same type of construction with the vinyl/leather/leatherette/faux leather going into a hard plastic side.

I've only ever known heated seats to be under real leather. I wonder if they are aiding dry vinyl.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 07:20:19 AM by Kremmen »

guest9814

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2022, 10:08:43 AM »
Another one from Japan
This time it`s honda FIT 2020 e:HEV (Jazz MK4)
https://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0001231286/SortID=23975834/
Driver used car half year
picture somewere in middle of page
https://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0001231286/SortID=23975834/ImageID=3510675/
And in Japan dealers replacing seat covers
Translate page with google there many reports on this thread.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2022, 12:43:09 PM »
Despite numerous references to' leather'   in Honda advertising  they are  fairly obviously synthetic leather.  You can see the fabric backing in the cracks.  Real leather would be fibrous. 

Upon researching I was surprised to learn synthetic leather can also dry out and crack  and should be regularly cleaned and sealed with purpose made pvc treatments.   I suppose it makes sense. New  PVC car mats can be smelly until production solvents Evaporate.     I will have to investigate and start doing this  before the summer gets too hot. 8)

It could be argued the seat material is not fit for purpose if it cracks this easily  .  But it must be hard finding a material that resists both summer heat and  extreme cold   while remaining   flexible ,comfortable and durable.    Maybe their robotic  mechanical bum testing  did not include temperature variations. 

If I ever need to confront Honda or the dealer  with the problem it might help to be armed with photographs of the same thing happening to others.   Otherwise they might try to blame it on sharp  bracelets, back pocket buttons, and the like. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2022, 01:41:15 PM »
For what it’s worth, checked my Crosstar seat and all ok. Presumably the “water repellent “ upholstery does not (so far!) have the same problem as the EX.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2022, 08:54:39 PM »
... Hopefully as I get in and out of the seat without sliding across, mine will last longer?

guest9814

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2022, 04:40:21 AM »
That is post of Japanese driver from kakaky site in thread about cracks in driver seat upholstery
Sorry for google translate, it’s not always working correctly
“My own is a Fit 3 Blemium Brown interior seat, but it cracked.

I got a free replacement, but first of all I think that it will be the same if I handle it in the same way as before because there is no countermeasure product, so I will bring my body to the seat center when riding so as not to crush the side of the seat from above Especially when getting off, I put my hand on the door lock striker in the center pillar to prevent weight from being applied to the seat side surface.

When I saw it cracked, I thought it would be nice to make it from cloth.
I was worried about whether to use HVL or HVS, but when I saw this point, I thought it would be nice to use HVS.

However, if you are conscious of countermeasures when getting on and off, it seems that getting on and off so far has put a burden on the side part of the seat, and the shorter the foot, the more the load will be applied until the foot reaches the ground and the side will crack. It was concluded that people with long legs could get off before the load was too heavy and would not crack easily.

It seems that it is necessary to take measures on how to get off rather than expecting countermeasures.”

DWJazz2021

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX (Gen4)
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2022, 06:45:18 AM »
Another one from Japan
This time it`s honda FIT 2020 e:HEV (Jazz MK4)
https://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0001231286/SortID=23975834/
Driver used car half year
picture somewere in middle of page
https://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0001231286/SortID=23975834/ImageID=3510675/
And in Japan dealers replacing seat covers
Translate page with google there many reports on this thread.

Thank you very much for this. Reading indoors so not checked mine yet. I wonder if  Honda have tried to address this in later model years, quoting from a post further down in your link:

“ After consulting with the dealer, it was decided that the product could be repaired under the manufacturer's warranty.
It seems that the drawing number of the target part has changed twice, so it may be a countermeasure product. is what they said.
(It seems that the dealer does not know what kind of change was made.)

By the way, if it is not guaranteed, it costs about 20,000 yen for parts and about 10,000 yen for work”

20,000 yen = approx £125

Oh and the seat absolutely is not leather, I found out via Honda after purchase. Sales materials were/are misleading, so perhaps this is another angle if they don’t fix this issue at no cost to affected customers.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2022, 07:21:44 AM »
I'm going to leave mine alone and see what happens.

I'm very low mileage and the car is stored in a garage, not in direct sun, so hopefully it'll be OK.

If not I have the 5 year warranty.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2022, 01:26:45 PM »
For what it’s worth, checked my Crosstar seat and all ok. Presumably the “water repellent “ upholstery does not (so far!) have the same problem as the EX.
The fabric covering my Crosstar's seats includes the sides.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sportse

• Approved Member
Driver’s seat wear
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2022, 02:13:48 PM »
I’ve looked at mine and they have used fabric around the bits at the back of the base that they thought would get wear… but don’t appear to have considered that the fake leather sides would wear against the plastic trim.

IanG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2022, 09:13:47 PM »
Booked my car in for 25k service on Friday. Asked if there had been a response from Honda warranty regarding seat wear yet and they informed me Honda are sending new seat base and the plastic side piece. Under warranty. They’ll need car for a day and will provide loan vehicle.
I’ll check replacement parts, to see if anything appears modified, such as the plastic side trim. Curious as to why they would change this part unless it had been modified, as it isn’t damaged or worn.

Tags:

anything