Author Topic: Signalling  (Read 3062 times)

John Marshall

• Approved Member
Re: Signalling
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2021, 10:57:17 AM »
I don't take any notice of others indicators, 40 years ago I was nearly totalled by a beer wagon that was indicating a left turn but in fact went straight on, I almost pulled out in front of the "professional" driver.

John

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2021, 03:46:09 PM »
I don't take any notice of others indicators, 40 years ago I was nearly totalled by a beer wagon that was indicating a left turn but in fact went straight on, I almost pulled out in front of the "professional" driver.

John
Do you signal?
Neil Ives

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2021, 04:40:03 PM »
On the last few motorbikes I have owned I have augmented the pathetic dim green direction indicator repeaters on instrument display with a pair of bright blue LED fitted in line of sight on top of binnacle ( they are visible in peripheral vision even in sunlight ).  It is very easy to forget to cancel direction indicators on a motorbike ( they do not self cancel ) and the results can be fatal as people  pull out on you... As far as my safety goes it is one of the best things I have done, along with a pair of 10watt LED spotlights and an auxiliary flashing LED brake light.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2021, 04:46:14 PM »
It is very easy to forget to cancel direction indicators on a motorbike ( they do not self cancel ) and the results can be fatal as people  pull out on you...
I witnessed an accident caused by a lad forgetting to cancel his left motorbike winker and an imbecile driver pulling out in front of the motorbike. When I ride my old BSA with other bikers there will always be someone who forgets to turn off their indicators.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 04:48:49 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

guest4871

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2021, 07:36:32 PM »
Is that why you use hand signals?   ;)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2021, 07:49:33 PM »

It is hard to forget your arm is sticking out
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2021, 07:51:30 PM »
What he, (culzean) said.
Neil Ives

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2021, 10:25:01 AM »

John
Do you signal?

Only with rude gestures.  ;D

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2021, 03:45:58 PM »
..It is very easy to forget to cancel direction indicators on a motorbike ( they do not self cancel ) ....
Agree, and that is where "habit" can come in handy. I find myself pushing the indi cancel button quite regularly .......... just in case.
I have done the same indi repeater at the top of the screen, nearly in eye-line, as Culzean describes on a couple of my bikes where the dash lights are difficult to see in bright sunlight. Thankfully more modern bikes seem to have got this right at last, I have 2 relatively new bikes which have very easily seen indi warning lights on the dash display, my older bikes are pretty poor in this respect.

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2021, 04:07:21 PM »
Another of my driving habits is glancing over my shoulder before changing lanes. On a motorcycle that can be a lifesaver. Yes, I know the Jazz has Blind Spot warning but habits die hard.
Neil Ives

Tags: